Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mad Max Challenge

comis · 1052 · 26076

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Re: Mad Max Challenge
Reply #990 on: March 29, 2021, 11:42:56 PM

us Offline SDDToolCo

Reply #991 on: March 30, 2021, 08:05:54 AM
Day 29

Late posting this one but it was taco right for dinner and needed to open the can of beans

us Offline SDDToolCo

Reply #992 on: March 30, 2021, 08:09:25 AM
Although I can imagine this XLT blade is best for opening duty (also on account of its placement in the middle of the knife's body), I just cannot bring myself to use it. Somehow I am always afraid of damaging it (the same is true for the electrician blade). It's silly - the XLT has three small blades and I keep using the least comfortable one 'cause I am afraid to damage the more exotic alternatives :facepalm:

I am afraid of damaging mine as well especially with sharpening being much more difficult but I just love how this blade is very precise due to the curvature of the blade

us Offline SDDToolCo

Reply #993 on: March 30, 2021, 08:10:25 AM
Day 29

(Image removed from quote.)

Little guy's fishing pole is running out of battery(yes, he got a singing fishing pole, funky tool that is) and I was thereby requested to replace those batteries immediately.  First I use the detachable key with phillips for the job, but the head size was all wrong.  So I end up pulling out the inline phillips in the middle and get the job done.  At first I worried the phillips might be located at one side of the Giant and that would make using it super awkward.  Turns out folks at Wenger probably did think of that and place it right in the middle for the ease of use.

:like: :like:

us Offline SDDToolCo

Reply #994 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:02 AM

us Offline SDDToolCo

Reply #995 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:29 AM

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #996 on: March 30, 2021, 09:53:54 AM
Day 29

Had to look a little bit closer.
IMG_20210329_234032-01.jpeg
* IMG_20210329_234032-01.jpeg (Filesize: 117.51 KB)

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #997 on: March 30, 2021, 11:43:33 AM
Day 30

Well, here we are at the end of the challenge. A big thank you to Comis, who first came up with the idea for a Giant challenge and then was so kind as to extend the challenge to lesser models!

I therefore not only enjoyed a month of seeing the Giant in action - thanks to Lisa and particular Comis, who went above and beyond the call of duty to demonstrate real life use cases - but also carried my own XLT in the pocket for 30 days.

As expected in this time of lockdown, the XLT did not get a fair chance to play the numerous aces up its sleeve. Still, I very much enjoyed having it around, dressing it up a bit and discovering for the first time a long overlooked tool, the fishscaler.

So although the XLT will now go back into the drawer (to be replaced by a much smaller SAK), I will keep it and this challenge in very good memory and am certain there will be times in the future where the XLT will return to my pocket.

Many thanks to all participants and bystanders, it was a great joy doing this challenge with you all!  :hatsoff:

Edit: added a bonus pick: fishscaler used to hold a loaf of bread for safe cutting
20210330_112725_copy_756x1008.jpg
* 20210330_112725_copy_756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 269.36 KB)
20210330_114603_copy_1612x1209.jpg
* 20210330_114603_copy_1612x1209.jpg (Filesize: 191.93 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #998 on: March 30, 2021, 12:14:29 PM
Day 30

I used the tweezer briefly today and had a really hard time to pull it out.  And when I try to return it back into the scale, it's pretty much 'stuck' and much to my surprise, the scale actually just fell right off the chassis.  Turns out this side of the scales is not snapped onto the chassis, but seems to rely on double sided tape/some kind of soft glue.  And the reason behind stuck tweezer is because those tape/glue overlap the path where it travels.

Since the Giant is mostly a 'show piece', I think I probably may repair it with new double sided tape, instead of finding new scales to snap it back on.

I will write another proper wrap later today to celebrate the ending of this challenge. :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:19:46 PM by comis »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #999 on: March 30, 2021, 12:20:34 PM
Day 30

I used the tweezer briefly today and had a really hard time to pull it out.  And when I try to return it back into the scale, it's pretty much 'stuck' and much to my surprise, the scale actually just fell right off the chassis.  Turns out this side of the scales is not snapped onto the chassis, but seems to rely on double sided tape.  And the reason behind stuck tweezer is because those tape overlap the path where it travels.

Since the Giant is mostly a 'show piece', I think I probably may repair it with new double sided tape, instead of finding new scales to snap it back on.

It's like a metaphor. From the outside, the Giant seems composed and majestic, but underneath it's all just held together by some duct tape...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1000 on: March 30, 2021, 12:39:15 PM
Entertainment purposes only.  :D
That's money well spent.
 :like:

Day 29

The challenge is almost over! Time went by so quick, it's incredible. So here's to you, my fellow participants :cheers:
:drink: Cheers to you!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1001 on: March 30, 2021, 12:43:03 PM
Day 29

Late posting this one but it was taco right for dinner and needed to open the can of beans
Good use!  :tu:

Day 29

When did you last visit?  Was it on a high speed rail? :D

Day 30

Well, here we are at the end of the challenge. A big thank you to Comis, who first came up with the idea for a Giant challenge and then was so kind as to extend the challenge to lesser models!

I therefore not only enjoyed a month of seeing the Giant in action - thanks to Lisa and particular Comis, who went above and beyond the call of duty to demonstrate real life use cases - but also carried my own XLT in the pocket for 30 days.

As expected in this time of lockdown, the XLT did not get a fair chance to play the numerous aces up its sleeve. Still, I very much enjoyed having it around, dressing it up a bit and discovering for the first time a long overlooked tool, the fishscaler.

So although the XLT will now go back into the drawer (to be replaced by a much smaller SAK), I will keep it and this challenge in very good memory and am certain there will be times in the future where the XLT will return to my pocket.

Many thanks to all participants and bystanders, it was a great joy doing this challenge with you all!  :hatsoff:

Edit: added a bonus pick: fishscaler used to hold a loaf of bread for safe cutting
:like: Great wrap, and thank you so much for participating!  I think the re-discovery of fish scaler in your journey is pretty fascinating, and I think in many ways, it's really part of the reason why we join challenges in the first place--to learn more about the tools and ourselves.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1002 on: March 30, 2021, 01:36:41 PM
DAY 30

One last look at the Wenger Tool Chest Plus.

It has been a fun challenge,

I enjoyed seeing all the posts.

Thanks for hosting the challenge comis! :hatsoff:

IMG_2549.JPG
* IMG_2549.JPG (Filesize: 229.56 KB)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:00:07 PM by VICMAN »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1003 on: March 30, 2021, 01:38:14 PM
Day 30a (Wrap)

To celebrate the end of the challenge, I did manage to open a young coconut with the Giant:

First to remove the husk from a young coconut

Next, I'd use the "Club face clearner"(I kept thinking it's an awl, apparently it's a golf tool) from the backside to punch thru the thick husk.

Afterwards, I tried using the pliers to pry open the top, but no joy.  So I end up prying open the coconut with the thickest blade I could find, and success!

To wrap up, gonna really thank everyone partaking in this challenge(in no particular order) Ulzhan, Simon_Templar, FolderBeholder, SDDToolCo and Vicman, each one of you have brought something different to the challenge, and make this challenge unique in your own ways.   Despite the pandemic and restricted use outdoor, I am grateful to be able to make the best of the situation and have thoroughly enjoyed your company on this challenge! :hatsoff: :cheers:

All the free magnets from this and previous challenges have gone to the printer, and should be ready to distribute in a week or two.  If you haven't given me your address and would like a free magnet, please kindly private message me your address and it will be shipped to you once it is done.

See you on the next challenge! :climber:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1004 on: March 30, 2021, 01:39:07 PM
Day 29

Good use SDD! :like: :tu: :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1005 on: March 30, 2021, 01:40:03 PM
It's like a metaphor. From the outside, the Giant seems composed and majestic, but underneath it's all just held together by some duct tape...
Duct tape fixes everything... :D

DAY 30

One last look at the Wenger Tool Chest Plus.

It has been a fun challenge,

I enjoyed seeing all the posts.

Thanks for hosting the challenge comis! :hatsoff:
Thank you for joining us!  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1006 on: March 30, 2021, 01:41:18 PM
Day 30

Nice pics Simon and congratulations on completing the Challenge! :like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1007 on: March 30, 2021, 01:44:20 PM

I used the tweezer briefly today and had a really hard time to pull it out.  And when I try to return it back into the scale, it's pretty much 'stuck' and much to my surprise, the scale actually just fell right off the chassis.  Turns out this side of the scales is not snapped onto the chassis, but seems to rely on double sided tape/some kind of soft glue.  And the reason behind stuck tweezer is because those tape/glue overlap the path where it travels.

At least it waited til the last day!

Nice pic comis! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thanks for being our host and congratulations on completing the Challenge! :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1008 on: March 30, 2021, 01:48:26 PM

To celebrate the end of the challenge, I did manage to open a young coconut with the Giant:

To wrap up, gonna really thank everyone partaking in this challenge(in no particular order) Ulzhan, Simon_Templar, FolderBeholder, SDDToolCo and Vicman, each one of you have brought something different to the challenge, and make this challenge unique in your own ways.   Despite the pandemic and restricted use outdoor, I am grateful to be able to make the best of the situation and have thoroughly enjoyed your company on this challenge! :hatsoff: :cheers:

Thanks comis! :cheers:

Your uses of the Giant were very impressive!  :D

Congratulations on completing the Challenge! :woohoo:

Thanks in advance for the free magnets! :cheers: :D

The Mad Max magnet is really cool! :like: :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:50:27 PM by VICMAN »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #1009 on: March 30, 2021, 03:48:02 PM
Nice pics Simon and congratulations on completing the Challenge! :like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

Thanks for all your great pictures, Vicman, and congratulations to you too!  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1010 on: March 30, 2021, 03:51:29 PM
Thanks for all your great pictures, Vicman, and congratulations to you too!  :cheers:

You are welcome and thank you! :cheers:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #1011 on: March 30, 2021, 03:51:48 PM
Day 30a (Wrap)

First to remove the husk from a young coconut

Next, I'd use the "Club face clearner"(I kept thinking it's an awl, apparently it's a golf tool) from the backside to punch thru the thick husk.

Afterwards, I tried using the pliers to pry open the top, but no joy.  So I end up prying open the coconut with the thickest blade I could find, and success!

All the free magnets from this and previous challenges have gone to the printer, and should be ready to distribute in a week or two.  If you haven't given me your address and would like a free magnet, please kindly private message me your address and it will be shipped to you once it is done.

Great use, Comis, although it might have been easier to just hammer the coconut with the Giant (at the risk of something coming off and having to be fixed with duct tape, admittedly). Many thanks for being such an inspiring host and of course for the fridge magnet, to which I am already very much looking forward!  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1012 on: March 30, 2021, 04:52:20 PM
Congrats to Vicman and Simon on completing the challenges!  :cheers: :like:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1013 on: March 30, 2021, 06:40:07 PM
Congrats to Vicman and Simon on completing the challenges!  :cheers: :like:

Thanks comis! :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1014 on: March 30, 2021, 09:06:50 PM
Congratulations everyone!  I have to say that this has been one of the most fun challenges I think I've followed.  Way to go everybody!
Barry

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1015 on: March 30, 2021, 09:10:52 PM
Day 30
The challenge is over?  Well Pooh!
Pooh.jpg
* Pooh.jpg (Filesize: 311.56 KB)
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1016 on: March 30, 2021, 09:12:36 PM
Lisa, I hate to see it end.  You've been on a roll with your Legos!   :rofl: :rofl:
Barry

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1017 on: March 30, 2021, 09:19:23 PM
Lisa, I hate to see it end.  You've been on a roll with your Legos!   :rofl: :rofl:
Thank you Barry, it's always fun when one can combine 2 hobbies.  :cheers: :tu:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1018 on: March 30, 2021, 09:20:14 PM

Nice pic ulzhan/! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1019 on: March 30, 2021, 09:21:02 PM
Congratulations everyone!  I have to say that this has been one of the most fun challenges I think I've followed.  Way to go everybody!

Thanks Barry!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD