Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multi-tool Shovel. Just don't expect it to self drive your Jeep!

Chako · 11 · 1158

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I have haunted Amazon.ca for a while now. I am usually lurking to see what new things I can find, or buy, or well...anything. it is a great time waster I suppose.

Anyhow, I stumbled upon this advertisement for a multi-tool shovel that was originally 49.99 Canadian...but came with a 10 dollars off coupon. Well for 39.99 I had to see what sort of a deal this is. Better yet, it was handled by Amazon. Whenever it is shipped by Amazon, it usually ships lightning fast. It only took a few days for it to arrive at my door.

When I opened the shipping box, I had to laugh. My expectations on the product dropped when I read the statement on the box. On the other hand, it does have a Jeep on the box...so that is a plus of sorts LOL!

20210123_093447A by Chako, on Flickr

I just wasn't sure what I would do with a "Self Driving Outdoor Shovel".

When I opened the box, things did not get much better. The shovel comes with a protective shovel cover, and another dual pouch holder for accessories in tasteful camo  :facepalm:. Unfortunately, there are also 2 shovel handle pieces separate in the box. I am unsure why they only offer a place to store two handle pieces when 4 are supplied. I guess you are supposed to attach two handle pieces to the shovel head. Be that as it may, there are no belt loops found on either the shovel protector or the accessory pouch, making outdoor carry a bit of a pain. I guess one could sew belt loops on them if they must...but it would have been nice to have an alternative way of carrying them out of the box. As it stands, I guess this is purely for the Jeep...see...the box says so!  :rofl:

20210123_093519A by Chako, on Flickr

So far, I was having fun with this product. For 39.99 Canadian, the amusement I got from the packaging was well worth it. My expectations for the quality of the shovel itself was not high at this point. However, and I must say this with a bit of awe...I was wrong to expect so little for so little monetary value. Upon closer inspection, this shovel is rather nice. The head is built very sturdy and smurfing sharp out of the box. There is a nice ruler on one side, a saw on the other along with a I guess belt cutter for want of a better term...and all other sides are super sharp. I took the shovel outside and used it on a few branches much like a manchette, and it did the job. :o

The shovel comes with 4 screw on handle pieces. Now my expectations of threads all messed up or stripped proved wrong. In fact, screwing on and off the modular handles was smooth as butter. Dang, how did they make this for 39.99 I will never know. The shovel can be set into different positions and locked into place. You have options of shortening or extending your handle length. It all screws together tightly and is finished well.

Included in the handle are some nice pieces. The very last handle piece has a glass breaker on the end. Unscrew this end piece to get to the included ferro rod flint fire starter. Unscrew this piece from the end cap to access a hidden built in emergency whistle. This handle piece also contains the built in screwdriver with included double ended Phillips and flat screwdriver bit. The next piece contains a screw in knife blade which is not very sharp, but for this price, I cannot complain. I found that the end handle piece with its removable end cap and screwdriver end forms a nice size container that has plenty of room for a survival and first aid kit, or anything that you can fit inside. On top of that, each screw in piece features a rubber gasket for waterproofing. I haven't tried this out, but it all seems nice and tight.

20210123_093725A by Chako, on Flickr

My only issue with this cheaply priced shovel is the lack of a belt loop on the pouches, and that can be changed easily enough with some material and a bit of sewing...if needed. There are also a few Amazon Image differences between the product shown and what you will get. I like that the instructions only show 3 handle extensions when you actually get 4. Also, it does not mention anything about the included screwdriver...so the instructions are generic designed for a series of shovels of the same design. I am surprised at the quality of this shovel however. The fit and finish is much higher than the asking price, and even better for the sale price in my opinion.

In case anyone wants to read more about this item...here is the Amazon.ca link to the product. Of all my shovels, this is one of the better designed multi-tool shovels I own. I am thinking of buying one more for the Jeep. I mean...how can you turn down a shovel that claims it can self drive it!  :rofl:

https://www.amazon.ca/Multi-Purpose-Military-Survival-Multitool-Emergency/dp/B08338L7DP/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=multitool+shovel&qid=1611416079&sr=8-8

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:29:56 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Maybe self driving means it can dig holes by itself? :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Sign me up for that!  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
OMG...I just noticed they called the glass breaker an attack cone.

Well I guess I wouldn't want to get poked with that end...but it would be far preferable to the sharp shovel end I guess.  :facepalm:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Hmmm, a "self driving shovel" with included "attack cone".  I'm not sure I can resist this one.   :pok:   :woohoo:   :rofl:

Thanks for the review (and the bonus amusement)   :salute:  :tu:

No wait, actually if I try hard I can resist  (but just as well I don't have a Jeep).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Do not deny yourself the immense pleasure of owning your very own self driving shovel. You know you need at least 1.  :pok:  :pok:  :rofl:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Do not deny yourself the immense pleasure of owning your very own self driving shovel. You know you need at least 1.  :pok:  :pok:  :rofl:

That's right, because 1 is none, 2 is 1 etc etc, correct ?     :pok:   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:   :facepalm:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Altis

We have plenty of self-driving* shovels in Canada -- we call them snow plows  :pommel:

* self-driving from non-snow-plough-driver's perspective :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I have 1 particular city self drive shovel that likes to load the end of my driveway with a lot of snow. Happily this winter, we hardly have much of the white stuff thus far.  :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
I guess that "self driving" is a hint for the screwdriver.  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Multi-tool Shovel. Just don't expect it to self drive your Jeep!
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 12:19:15 PM
I have heard holidays where you book accommodation but not transport called "self driving"
I always thought it an odd term, but given a bit of leeway, we might forgive the product namer....

I saw the same or similar product on another site, they referred to one feature as "exquisite packing box"....

In any case, gadgetry aside, I'm always interested in how these things go actually digging holes.
From the pictures, the head and pivot don't fill me with confidence.

I am happy to be corrected if you want to go put a  hole in your yard for no good reason.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%