Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walking Stick

Offline HouseMD

• New User
Walking Stick
on: November 05, 2020, 01:28:13 AM
Hi everyone! So I thought you all might know something about this considering how incredibly intelligent everyone here seems. I badly damaged my knee about 3 months ago now and have been fully reliant on a cane to walk. However, now I feel like I could travel with no cane sometimes and only use it when I need it. Does anyone have any good suggestions for any foldable canes that will easily fold up and are good for someone that is above 5 10"? I need it to not stick when folding as I'm in college and can't spend 5-10 minutes opening a cane whenever I need it. Thank you all in advance for the response

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Walking Stick
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 05:54:06 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum.   :cheers:

I'm going to move this to the general tool section as you will probably get more responses there.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 03:10:56 PM
I remembered we had a thread about walking stick in Break room awhile back, was it from Chako?

How about some of the collapsible trekking poles?  I sworn by those whenever I go hiking, and I could literally lean half of weight on them with confidence(close to 90lbs).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Rtheree: Walking Stick
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:31:56 PM
There are a few good ones that tend to break into 3 pieces...and tend to work along the principle of a bungee cord inside. These are fairly sturdy and easy to break down. You can find them in Pharmacies and like places.

If it was something I would need to support my considerable weight...I would only go with a 3 section. You might get away with a 4 piece but the more pieces the less it will support you and the more hassles you may have condensing and extracting it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 08:15:40 PM
Been using a cane for over 20 years and use a standard crook cane, however I keep a folding cane in my truck, for emergencies.

Very similar to this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Ez2care-Adjustable-Folding-Carrying-Metallic/dp/B006RB5Y9I/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=folding+cane+with+bag&sprefix=folding+cane+with+b&sr=8-4
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 05:34:03 AM
I too have intermittent knee or hip pain. I don't go anywhere without a cane because I never know when I'm going to need it.  Mostly the pain hits me within minutes if I go into a store with hard concrete floors such as a home depot or walmart.  I just carry a regular standard issue medical cane that was the first one I got from the doctor, or I carry one of my Irish Blackthorns or other natural wood canes or walking sticks.  However, I keep a folding cane like that shown by PitCarver in each of my other family member's cars, in case I'm ever out with them and didn't bring a cane with me. The folders fit in a seat back or the trunk and don't get in the way.  By the way, don't forget to order a set of replacement tips.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 10:01:24 AM
I've used an aluminum folding cane as described by Chako - I believe I got it from a pharmacy too. Fairly simple affair, works the same as a modern tent pole - just has a bit of shock cord through the middle and it snaps together.

Mine did the job, but was fairly crappy. I imagine there's a variety of quality levels available.

One imagines if you will be using it a lot and for a long time, it's worth investing in something decent.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 03:46:49 PM
I have hiking staffs that I’ve made from diff woods to cactus to a hockey stick, yet I do have one cane, just a simple store bought cause some times the back goes out, it’s like it pinches a nerve in the lower back, I can be fine, rolling around on the floor with the dog and nothing, but sitting and go to stand up and I’ll fall right back down, for the next few days I’ll need to do my exercises to work it out and sometimes I’ll need my cane, cause I can’t stand upright without movement, the nerve will tighten and I’ll be on my hands and knees, but the cane is just a simple aluminum adjustable comfort grip, of course I had to wrap it with some paracord and put a loop on it to customize it,, here’s a pic, here’s also a pic of my staffs, one with all the extras, compass flashlight, tools hidden in the grip, another with just a compass which is a rake or shovel handle, two diff woods a lastly a saguaro cactus, most people don’t know that the saguaro has a inner bone skeletal structure to help with the weight and high winds, so I made one out of it since it’s soo light weight, and it brought back some memories..
JR
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 03:52:51 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%