Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One handed Spirit, the MXBS

nitram · 94 · 10063

nl Offline nitram

on: November 07, 2020, 10:14:22 PM
I just happened to come across this, a new Spirit version with one handed blades. Both in SS and BO. Looks pretty interesting!   :multi:

https://www.military.sg/shop/home/2134-victorinox-swiss-army-knife-special.html (I have no affiliation with this store)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: One handed Spirit, the MXBS
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 11:14:39 PM
Very nice! What I've always wanted in the SwissTool series.  Can't wait until we can get a full-sized SwissTool with OHO blades.  My SwissTool has better pliers and file than my ST300 (the dull, coarse teeth don't grip very well, but the fine aggressive teeth on the SwissTool coupled with the rounded semi-blunt needlenose work great when it comes to fencing) , which means the SwissTool replaced the ST300 for most hard use jobs. The only problem is that there is no way to open the SwissTool blades with gloves on, and unlike the ST300 the lack of tool clumping means I can't get at the drivers.  So, M does just that. No wood saw on this model, which while I need it for farm work, I can do without. Especially when I gain the highly aggressive belt cutter as the SE blade.  Function over form, which is always my mentality. Kinda ugly, but I think it's the only way they could've done it without redesigning the frame.

A Swiss dealer also has these, but oddly say it is exclusive to them. Thus, it's official; and not exclusive to one country. Can't wait until it's available in the USA, presumably sometime next year.

https://www.ssz-equipment.ch/de/shop/victorinox+swiss+tool+spirit+mxbs~p852577

"Black Case Supplied Compatible with Belt and MOLLE". A black version of the OD green one already being made?

Since OHO is mostly only allowed to first responders and the military in Europe, "M" stands for Military, correct?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:17:00 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:10:43 AM
Nooooo!  I don’t need another tool, but this is going to be one I can’t resist.  Especially in black.  Now I have to try finding one in US.

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 01:43:36 AM
Very cool! I look forward to that making it to the US market.  Too bad it doesn't have a saw, but it's not hard to carry a hiker or farmer along with it.  The thumb studs do look a little goofy, but if they function, I can live with it.  It would be good to see the LM Wave get a little competition. 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 02:47:12 AM
Well, those thumbstuds seem to get in the slicing path, to quote Nick Shabbazz, but I guess thumbholes would make the spine protrude a lot, like the OHO Trekker.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 10:13:07 AM
Is it me or does it look like some tools have swapped positions compared to the XBS version? Metal file and scissors are now on opposing sides? :think:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:35:05 AM by Reinier »
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 10:33:14 AM
Is it me or does it look like some tools have swapped position compared to the XBS version? Metal file and scissors are now on opposing sided? :think:
You're correct, they were swapped. Moreover - woodsaw was replaced by belt-cutter

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 10:34:27 AM
:salute: Alex.

It's already added to the wiki. Feel free to add any information :cheers:

And thanks for quoting my reply before I got the chance to fix my typos :P
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 10:55:12 AM
:salute: Alex.

It's already added to the wiki. Feel free to add any information :cheers:

And thanks for quoting my reply before I got the chance to fix my typos
It's all for history my friend, for history - any phrase from you is priceless!

Checked your latest changes in Sakwiki - excellent, nothing to add..
But Im a little bit confused regarding mentioning of previous version of Spirit - XBS:

Code: [Select]
This model is available with (3.0224.3CN)  and without (3.0224.xxx)  the cap crimper in the pliers.
Never seen XBS without crimper. Can anybode share some pictures of it?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 11:06:19 AM
I think one was bought by Douglas like one or 2 years ago...
Box said XBS, had no crimpers.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 11:10:14 AM
This is really good news, been secretly hoping this will be made someday and finally it materialized!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 11:38:38 AM
Now that is a neat solution!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 12:39:46 PM
That looks awesome, i need to get one of those.

Only Tools Matters

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 01:17:49 PM
Good news!

A Swiss dealer also has these, but oddly say it is exclusive to them.
Ryca offers Chrome finished model, but SSZ Equipment AG offers black oxide steel model.
Update: Ryca offers black oxide steel model too.
So it's really a little bit oddly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:38:38 PM by Nick4 »

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 04:46:10 PM
I need one of these... :facepalm: but I can only imagine the cost in the UK  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2020, 05:24:32 PM
I’m not keen, at least with a traditional circular thumb stud it will divert whatever your slicing around itself.
This flat jobbie looks like it could cause real problems snagging given its size and shape directly over the heel of the blade.

Given victorinoxs reputation for innovation and quality it’s a pretty lazy, poor solution And I would expect more from them.

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 05:50:44 PM
I think it's a great solution. A thumb stud would require a notch in the surrounding frame, which would make the whole thing weaker.  A Spyderco-style hole would be awesome, but, as Mr Reamer says, the whole thing would then be super chunky.
Now all they have to do is make a special edition with a decent blade steel instead of Victorinox Marshmallow Grade steel and this thing will be the Über-Grail of multitools!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 08:38:57 PM
I did some poking around, and Ryca does ship to the US--and well most countries (usually, when I deal with overseas online retailers--it's their country and that's it). The total that came up for a stainless variant, SGD converted to USD was $159.43, shipping included. A Spirit XBS (Cap Crimper, BO) in the US is almost $180, so not bad if you ask me especially given how shipping costs have exploded as of late. But, with the current situation--I bet it would be March before I got it, even with Fedex Express shipping. Thus, I'm waiting to see if it's offered here.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:45:20 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Sos24

Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 12:44:31 AM
I did some poking around, and Ryca does ship to the US--and well most countries (usually, when I deal with overseas online retailers--it's their country and that's it). The total that came up for a stainless variant, SGD converted to USD was $159.43, shipping included. A Spirit XBS (Cap Crimper, BO) in the US is almost $180, so not bad if you ask me especially given how shipping costs have exploded as of late. But, with the current situation--I bet it would be March before I got it, even with Fedex Express shipping. Thus, I'm waiting to see if it's offered here.

I noticed that too.  The shipping was high but I ordered the black MXBS.  Now the waiting begin.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 05:07:06 AM
 :o :o :o  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

NOW if they would just get it right, right handed that is.  :rant: The PE blade is RH OHO  :woohoo: but, the belt cutter SE is LH OHO.  :rant:  Both should be RH and why didn't they go with standard Vic scissors?   :rant:  Really if we're going to ask why, what's up with dropping the saw?  I guess the belt cutter would be a better option for EMTs but seems the saw would be more useful to a soldier in the field.  :dunno: 

All in All I still say IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!  :gimme: :gimme:

:facepalm: Just sucks their timing is so bad for me.  If I wasn't wiped out from a move and slow at work I would be order one of each for my collection.  As it stands I will be WAITING A LOOOOOOONNNGGG time.  :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :drool: :popcorn: :drool: :drool:  Hope they catch on and Vic keeps making them and then finds a way to expand the concept to the Spirit's Big Brother.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 08:29:15 AM
Shipping was a little tricky from that site, but I managed to order mine today too.  Hopefully it will arrive soon, and I too will do a quick review on these.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 08:58:59 AM
I noticed that too.  The shipping was high but I ordered the black MXBS.  Now the waiting begin.

Nice Sos  :tu:
Looking forward to your first impressions and pics  :pok:     :popcorn:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 09:28:40 AM
Nice Sos  :tu:
Looking forward to your first impressions and pics  :pok:     :popcorn:

I don’t know how long it will take to arrive from Singapore, but it has supposedly already shipped.:woohoo.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 10:21:43 AM
Sold out.... Maybe I should have ordered before sharing the link.  :oops:

I’m looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing about your experiences with it.  :popcorn:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 10:49:06 AM
The black one is still in stock.... https://www.military.sg/shop/home/2133-victorinox-swiss-tool-spirit-mxbs-australian-army.html
But bearing in mind the import tax and other importing fees, I'll probably have to pass on it. Two Swisstool Spirits already feels like more than I really need!

nl Offline nitram

Reply #25 on: November 09, 2020, 12:09:26 PM
I’m sure these will show up in bigger numbers next year, there’s no rush.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 12:25:23 PM
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 01:39:45 PM

I sure hope so. 🙏🙏
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

Offline noway

• New User
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 08:12:33 PM
Looking forward to this when it's for sale in North America.  I saw a YT video of some pics but also looking forward to real video footage showing the new opening action and a review.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2020, 09:05:07 PM
This looks like a must have, but I'll wait for it to get to the U.S..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%