Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone change their collecting preference? 964

Jr. Member Posts: 72
Anyone change their collecting preference?
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »
I have always collected older and antique slip joints and my go to multi tools have been the Leatherman Wave. Somehow I got bitten by the Victorinox bug or something. I recently purchased a MiniChamp in Alox, then a Pioneer X in Red Alox. Now I’m looking for older vintage Vics. I have had a Soldier I bought new in 97, it probably helped in turning my direction.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,596
Re: Anyone change their collecting preference?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »
Welcome.  I've been buying traditional slipjoint folders more lately.  I've not bought MTs in a while.  I will pick up an interesting SAK when I see it. 

Esse Quam Videri
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 51,101
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 02:47:08 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum !   :cheers:

I mostly collect slipjoints these days and my multitool collecting has slowed to a trickle. I have four or five SAK's mostly Alox but I've never been that all that into collecting them.

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,788 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:51:12 AM »
Ι will still buy something if it looks really interesting but mainly I will only buy something if it will potentially increase in value in the future.

I have plenty of users and I know what I will actually use, thus no need to experiment.

I used to buy several/various SAKs and Multitools and knives before used and new, hoping to use them but never did, so they are just sitting in boxes.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and replies Gus. I still pick up old ones when I see them. Picked up this Boker 2525 at an antique store cheap. I couldn’t believe it. I’m now looking for older saks, mostly interested in the officers model with solid scales and a 5 turn corkscrew. I hear the quality is much better than the new ones. Time will tell.
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 51,101
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 01:50:15 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and replies Gus. I still pick up old ones when I see them. Picked up this Boker 2525 at an antique store cheap. I couldn’t believe it.

Nice trapper  !

If you haven't checked it out yet we have a great thread going for traditional slipjoints    :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68477.0.html
No Life Club Posts: 1,219
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 01:56:36 PM »
I am trying my hardest to stem my compulsive collecting. some people take offense if you call their collection a hoard as they  think it implies they are a hoarder and associate hoarding with people who haven't thrown away anything in years and navigate their house through a series of tunnels in the trash they have hoarded. But i am always collecting something, be it air pistols and rifles, bicycles and their components, multitools, knives and torches to name a few. i am always battling the compulsion to buy the next item (its folders at the moment) as i know one more will be too many but another 100 will not be enough.

i think collectors and hoarders have a lot more in common than some would care to admit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:05:24 PM by chip »

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.
Full Member Posts: 228 Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 04:07:07 AM »
I've been lucky enough to come across most of my "grail" items in the last few years (Full Wenger Titanium set, LM Fuse in Orange & in Camo, Bladeless Fuse, BO Minitool, Japanese PST, Silver Alox Voyageur, etc).

The few I have left on my "want" list are those so insanely expensive that I have no realistic way of obtaining them: Black Beauty, Kingfischer, Red Alox Voyageur, etc

These days I'm after tools without blades so I can carry them at work or the various pharmaceutical advert SAKs that exist. The pharm ones primarily because the scale colors tend to be mixed or in a color out of the norm.

I'm also trying (not very hard I admit) to keep my collection down to what I can fit into three Machinist toolboxes for ease of storage/movement. I have also started giving away my duplicates to friends and family or to coworkers I know will use them and not abuse them.

-Wes.

Work EDC: Vic 8GB Jetsetter/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod/Olight I1R EOS/Atwood R25

Weekend EDC: LM Free T4 or Vic Delemont S18 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS/ Atwood R37Pry

Neatest items in collection: Full Wenger Titanium Series, Vic Voyaguer, 84mm Golfer with Long Nailfile, Several Atwoods.

These days I focus on 84mm with Scissors, odd Wenger Knives, and bladeless versions of SAKs so I can carry them at work. Oh, and oddball Pharmacy/Medical Ad Classics.
Full Member Posts: 147
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »
My collecting has definitely evolved over time. I started out with tactical sharpened pry bar knives and Leatherman tools.  Over time I sold off all the tactical blades to fund purchasing classic Buck knives and Vintage Western fixed blades.  I also sold down my collection of Leatherman tools to just my users.  These days I'm selling down the Buck collection to pay for Moras and a recent obsession with Victorinox.  The hobby is always evolving.  It's part of what makes it fun.  I generally take up a new brand, buy a whole bunch of knives (or tools) and then figure out what I'll actually carry and use.  Anything I don't use gets sold to fund what ever the newest obsession is.  This keeps new toys coming into the house, but doesn't cost me much overall. 
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 02:39:47 PM »
I am trying my hardest to stem my compulsive collecting. some people take offense if you call their collection a hoard as they  think it implies they are a hoarder and associate hoarding with people who haven't thrown away anything in years and navigate their house through a series of tunnels in the trash they have hoarded. But i am always collecting something, be it air pistols and rifles, bicycles and their components, multitools, knives and torches to name a few. i am always battling the compulsion to buy the next item (its folders at the moment) as i know one more will be too many but another 100 will not be enough.

i think collectors and hoarders have a lot more in common than some would care to admit.
I think I need to do the same.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,300
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
I started on MTo as a plier-based multitool and LM fanboy (hence the avatar), but now I'm a Vic enthusiast. I just carry a Knipex 125 in my other pocket if I think I'll need to squeeze something  :cheers:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.
OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,798
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 04:21:54 PM »
I do not really collect, more accumulate :P (mostly because I'm far more enthusiastic in buying than I'm in selling)

I like to try out new tools/knives and see how much I like it. Sometimes new is surprisingly good, sometimes it is disappointingly bad. But independent of that, I think you can learn something and with that your preference evolves. And for me, that means the focus of what I accumulate shifts.

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
No Life Club Posts: 4,645
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 05:45:00 PM »
For traditional knives: aside from certain rare USA-made Schrades (like the 225OT Son of a Gun; a folding hunter with a saw and the 97OT; a full size Trapper with a saw); I've moved away from Delrin-handled knives except when bought as a user.

Tactical Knives--I actually started buying the things. But, only good ones like Spyderco (USA and Japan only) and Benchmade.

SAKs, Alox is getting more and more tasty . You can't break it, there's no flimsy easily bent liners (ala 111mm), and tool selections are commonsense.

Don't want to get into a political discussion, but I've almost entirely ruled out buying Chinese-made knives for personal reasons.  But, things like the Roxon Phantom/Phantasy no one else is doing, so it has an exception. I mean, no one else is making an exchangeable blade multitool in the same style.
No Life Club Posts: 1,536
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 08:30:26 PM »

I imagine many here share these sentiments too?!
I have abstained for this entire year so far and it feels pretty good too!!!
Special thanks to the “Rona” for making priorities more obvious for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 1,806
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 04:12:12 PM »
Is it hoarding if you get a drawer toolbox or small parts bins to hold them, and some, at least, are neatly in boxes? I dont know.

My collecting most definitely changed over the years.

Back in '88 I bought my first Victorinox Swiss Army knife for myself (Super Tinker) and that is all I carried until about 2007 or 8, when i added a chinese knockoff of a Leatherman PST to my fishing tackle box. I eventually bought a real Leatherman PST 2, and acquired a Micra. Damaged the hell out of my Super Tinker back in 2011 and got a Tinker Deluxe. FIRST time I had ever been without that Super Tinker

With that, I realized that there were SO many other models with so many other designs out there, I started picking up a few Swiss Army knives at a time at flea markets or picking up different Leathermans on Craigslist. You know, just to see if this tool load out or that tool load out suited me better.

You read about these things and in those reviews they get compared to other things, so I decided to try some of those other things and before you know it I have half a dozen Buck 110 Variants and probably a dozen different Spyderco knives.

For the time being - and it's been this way for a year or two - I pretty much have anything like this that I want, and CERTAINLY have everything like this that I need, so my collecting dropped off like the continental shelf about a year and a half ago, after really picking up when I joined here whatever it is, 3 years ago or so. Maybe 4.

So, a dozen different Leathermans, Spydercos, Victorinox Swiss Army knives and maybe half a dozen Bucks. Plus a Case and a Western.  By the way, I fixed that Super Tinker and still carry it sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 06:47:31 PM »
I’m looking forward to looking for old Vics and Wengers. I like all the different tang stamps as well as the quality. I have one incoming from Sweden. It’s in New York now and although I like to find stuff in antique stores and such it is fairly exiting getting something from overseas. I hope to be delighted. I’ll still buy an old knife when I see it so I guess my collecting hasn’t shifted, just expanded.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,446 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 08:37:09 PM »
I can't say that I have. I have slowed down, and am not as active in collecting as I was years ago. With that said, I still keep adding. I haven't counted it all, but is definitely growing over time. Lately on a bit of Leatherman collecting spree. I tend to have a wide range of hobbies that I seem to rotate. Collecting multi-tools is just one of them. I still do not collect for profit however, as I am still not a seller. I have posted a lot of my SAK photos over on Reddit, and I must say, some of the reactions I get are astounding. I gather I am sitting on a very valuable collection from the feedback I have been receiving..

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,748 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 02:36:58 AM »
Pretty much the same here Thundah.  There's a few out there that I'd like to pick up from different makers, but they're prices beyond me at the moment. 
Is it hoarding if you get a drawer toolbox or small parts bins to hold them, and some, at least, are neatly in boxes? I dont know.

My collecting most definitely changed over the years.

Back in '88 I bought my first Victorinox Swiss Army knife for myself (Super Tinker) and that is all I carried until about 2007 or 8, when i added a chinese knockoff of a Leatherman PST to my fishing tackle box. I eventually bought a real Leatherman PST 2, and acquired a Micra. Damaged the hell out of my Super Tinker back in 2011 and got a Tinker Deluxe. FIRST time I had ever been without that Super Tinker

With that, I realized that there were SO many other models with so many other designs out there, I started picking up a few Swiss Army knives at a time at flea markets or picking up different Leathermans on Craigslist. You know, just to see if this tool load out or that tool load out suited me better.

You read about these things and in those reviews they get compared to other things, so I decided to try some of those other things and before you know it I have half a dozen Buck 110 Variants and probably a dozen different Spyderco knives.

For the time being - and it's been this way for a year or two - I pretty much have anything like this that I want, and CERTAINLY have everything like this that I need, so my collecting dropped off like the continental shelf about a year and a half ago, after really picking up when I joined here whatever it is, 3 years ago or so. Maybe 4.

So, a dozen different Leathermans, Spydercos, Victorinox Swiss Army knives and maybe half a dozen Bucks. Plus a Case and a Western.  By the way, I fixed that Super Tinker and still carry it sometimes.

Barry
Sr. Member Posts: 471 Average Old Guy.
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »

[/quote

Addicted to sharp pointy things.
Sr. Member Posts: 471 Average Old Guy.
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 11:31:51 PM »
I've bought user and collector whittlers for a long time.  Couple years back I decided that my line Victorinox needed company.
These days Im carrying a large stockman and a MiniChamp, daily.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 11:53:24 PM »
I've bought user and collector whittlers for a long time.  Couple years back I decided that my line Victorinox needed company.
These days Im carrying a large stockman and a MiniChamp, daily.

Sounds like a winning combination. Being a stockman guy I’ve carried a Case Stockman for years. A 63032 to be exact. I got the Swiss Army bug I bought a MiniChamp in Alox. Now I either carry the MiniChamp or Pioneer X.
Sr. Member Posts: 481
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 03:47:46 AM »
.... one more will be too many but another 100 will not be enough.

You don't know how true that is!  Though I have almost stopped collecting in the last year or so myself.
Still, I do have room for another multitool.  And Christmas is coming.
 :tu:

There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
I’ve only bought one vintage knife off of eBay. It was a fluke that I won. I like finding them in antique stores, flea markets and garage sales which makes my collecting go dormant for long periods of time. If you can’t buy it for three dollars there’s no point.
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
 :iagree:

Its the surprise of seeing a cool old trad at the fleamarket.  I've been very lucky with those and fixed blades.  I had one heck of a time on the bay of fleas and got some really great items.  While I am tempted to pick up items from time to I know eventually I will come upon something neat at the fleamarket.  The sellers at my local fleamarket ask for very high prices for garbage if it says CASE for example.  Others just want to get rid of things and sell for fair prices.  There are a few who could careless or think its an old dirty rusty knife and darn near give it away.  I have built some great relationships with many venders so I tend to get neat items and we both win.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 01:33:16 AM »
I’ve only bought one vintage knife off of eBay. It was a fluke that I won. I like finding them in antique stores, flea markets and garage sales which makes my collecting go dormant for long periods of time. If you can’t buy it for three dollars there’s no point.

Ah, yes!

Theres an outdoor bazaar/ flea market not far from me. If you want to fatten up your collection quick, go to a place like that. I think I got 3 different  Vics for about $21 one weekend, and one of them was an old, black Tinker with Boy Scouts of America logo metal inlay. Sure, they needed a cleaning, oiling and a quick sharpen, but they all turned out good and I went back to that well a couple of times.

Then I've bought some well-used but good condition stuff from Craigslist or members here
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 01:34:53 AM »

Its the surprise of seeing a cool old trad at the fleamarket.  I've been very lucky with those and fixed blades.  I had one heck of a time on the bay of fleas and got some really great items.  While I am tempted to pick up items from time to I know eventually I will come upon something neat at the fleamarket.  The sellers at my local fleamarket ask for very high prices for garbage if it says CASE for example.  Others just want to get rid of things and sell for fair prices.  There are a few who could careless or think its an old dirty rusty knife and darn near give it away.  I have built some great relationships with many venders so I tend to get neat items and we both win.

Aloha, Ahloha!

I once bid on an Explorer on eBay and they sent me a Champ. Double win!
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 01:35:37 AM »
Pretty much the same here Thundah.  There's a few out there that I'd like to pick up from different makers, but they're prices beyond me at the moment.

Hey Barry! Yep. Know that feelin
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,748 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 04:07:14 AM »
Hey buddy!  Yeah, I was looking at Spyderenches on the Bay, but there's no way I could pull that off  :facepalm:

Barry
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 03:35:11 PM »

It is a surprise. I remember paying 3 dollars for a Barlow knife that was sitting on the bottom of a wooden bucket. When I got into the car I swiped the surface rust on the blade and saw a Barlow stamp. I couldn’t believe it. A Samuel Barlow knife from late 1700’s. This Schrade was a surprise also for $6.00. It cleaned up nice. It had a chip in the main blade though. I was a bit disappointed but I was able to stone it out.
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »
That's great.  I'll be back before the years end with my eyes wide open.

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: $132.48
PayPal Fees: $7.93
Net Balance: $124.55
Below Goal: $175.45
Site Currency: USD