Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bowie knife enthusiasts.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Bowie knife enthusiasts.
on: November 09, 2020, 04:00:16 PM
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Re: Bowie knife enthusiasts.
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 11:34:47 PM
Awesome. Thanks  :hatsoff:
Andrew

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 10:05:52 AM
In recent year, I have taken the interest in clip point knives, and naturally that expand a little further looking into 'Bowie' knife but I am in no way would qualified as a Bowie enthusiast.

I have watched a few youtube videos here and there, and try to learn more about the subject topic.  Here is an interesting video filming Mr. Dale Larson's talk about what potentially an original Bowie looks like.

I looked up Mr. Dale Larson's credential, and turns out he seems to be respected in this subject matter.
https://www.facebook.com/Knivesofnote/posts/i-know-it-is-hard-to-believe-but-the-knife-behind-the-curtain-the-true-story-of-/2322865594698938/

And the gentleman who had taken a great effort filming Mr. Larson's talk, Mr. Darryl Payne, had an impressive 'Bowie' playlist on youtube, which has some good videos about 'Bowie knife' I came across in the past.

Another interesting video is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6PebrVhb4&ab_channel=texasmediateam
I tend to agree with McMickle about how that 'butcher knife'(or a large knife) back in the sandbar has probably nothing to do with what we think of or developed as 'bowie knife' in modern time.  But the Spanish/Mexican probably do have heavy influence on knives development in Southern part of US.

Here is a short credential on Dr Peter McMickle quoted online, but I can't be 100% sure he is the same gentleman talking in the yt video.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=21422
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:13:13 AM by comis »

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 02:05:29 PM
I have always wished that the McMickle video had of continued further.
This shows a good look at the Edwin Forrest knife. I found the spine thickness and the tapering of the tang interesting.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:13:54 PM by sak60 »
Andrew

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 04:14:36 PM
I've watched Dale Larson's video and come back to it from time to time.  I have also watched Darryl Payne's videos as well.  Both have some wonderful and informative discussions about Bowie knives.   Thanks for posting the videos so I dont have to search them again  :tu:

I think the clip point is a favorite blade shape for me.  Yes this does take one down the Bowie knife trail.  I love seeing all the knives fellas carried and the example shown. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 02:34:50 AM
The study of the Bowie knife is an interesting journey. The legend of the Bowie knife can have a powerful influence on a young man full of testosterone and not much wisdom.   :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 03:30:28 PM
The study of the Bowie knife is an interesting journey. The legend of the Bowie knife can have a powerful influence on a young man full of testosterone and not much wisdom.   :D

:rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
True then as is it now.  Like any great tale theres a mix of truth and hype.  The knife was wildly popular then and continues to be. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 01:45:14 AM
 :rofl:  I lusted for the big one in the Western Knives display case at a local department store when I was 15.  I never got it, but the passion was fiery!!
:rofl:
Barry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 05:37:17 PM
:rofl:  I lusted for the big one in the Western Knives display case at a local department store when I was 15.  I never got it, but the passion was fiery!!

Maybe it's still there waiting for you?  The way I see it, everyone deserves a big knife at least once in his/her life.  I mean boat-anchor weight-your-pants-down big knife!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 05:45:20 PM
 :iagree:

Mine to date is the BK2.  Its one heck of a pound of steel. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 09:16:40 PM

I understand.    :D

Maybe it's still there waiting for you?  The way I see it, everyone deserves a big knife at least once in his/her life.  I mean boat-anchor weight-your-pants-down big knife!

:iagree:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 10:12:33 PM
Those Bowies in the video are drop dead gorgeous! I have a friend who owns a carved ivory handled Michael Price ring guard Bowie and you have to see it in person to really appreciate it.Considering it was made prior to the War Between the States(1861-1865)the grind lines are absolutely flawless as is the overall construction and done without the benefit of electrical power.
I own a couple of early Bowies(a clip point Manhattan Cutlery and a spear point Jos. Rodgers)and although the quality isn't as good as the Price knife they are still beautiful knives.My latest one isn't quite as big as the others but is still a nice knife by Cambridge Cutlery in Sheffield.
Even some of the newer ones aren't to bad either.I think I'll make a separate post for them.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 06:12:10 AM
 :popcorn:  Always enjoying seeing anything you post  :hatsoff:.  Thank you in advance. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD