Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

suspension NXT might convert me from leathernan 728

Newbie Posts: 9
suspension NXT might convert me from leathernan
« on: November 11, 2020, 01:47:46 AM »
After 10 years on the same leatherman wingman it finally happened. I lost it. Guy at the store convinced me to try a Gerber suspension and wow.

It is lightweight.

A lot easier to clean and take apart.

Cost less.

And I like the locks.

The scissors work very well.

I wonder if leatherman is going to raise it's game.
Hero Member Posts: 573
Re: suspension NXT might convert me from leathernan
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »
   I have a NXT and really like it. It has a great set of drivers, especially the nice long and square, NOT flat Philips! I found a sheath for it, but it is small enough to pocket if that is your thing. I love Leatherman, but wish they would make an affordable lower end tool. When I bought the Wingman and Sidekick, they were about $30.00 to $40.00, now they sell for $60.00. I guess that is not a terrible price taking into account they are made here in the USA, but would like to see a new budget tool from them.
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 65,667
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 12:16:03 PM »
If you are only going by a Wingman then the NXT is a great tool :cheers: but they have had their game raised way beyond the Wingman since way before the Wingman/Sidekick came out ;) Try a Wave or Rebar and you will see what I am talking about or most of their other tools for that matter :think: :cheers:

On another note, I have a NXT heading my way as we speak :D

Also welcome to :MTO:
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 65,667
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
   I have a NXT and really like it. It has a great set of drivers, especially the nice long and square, NOT flat Philips! I found a sheath for it, but it is small enough to pocket if that is your thing. I love Leatherman, but wish they would make an affordable lower end tool. When I bought the Wingman and Sidekick, they were about $30.00 to $40.00, now they sell for $60.00. I guess that is not a terrible price taking into account they are made here in the USA, but would like to see a new budget tool from them.

I also got my Wingman and Sidekick before the price hike :facepalm: A Rebar is now almost as cheap as them (actually was $60 before the price hike as well) and is much higher quality :ahhh
No Life Club Posts: 4,857
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »
I just ordered one for $27 shipped. I have a WorkPro which I like to carry when working around others, since it is really cheap to replace. But I don't like the saw, scissors, or file on that tool. Saw is too thick and teeth aren't cut right, scissors that are painful to use and ineffective, and a file that well, works like you'd expect on a $14.99 tool (in other words, worse than a nail file).  With roughly 1/8" thick stainless steel handle slabs, it weighs a ton. And no pocket clip.

The only thing keeping it from replacing my Rebar and Wave is spring-loaded pliers and the lack of a saw.
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,118
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 03:04:02 PM »
I was never convinced by the original Suspension but I keep hearing that the NXT is a much better MT.  I quite like my LM Sidekick but I do have to agree with Poncho that the Rebar is a better choice. 

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,910
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »
I got both my Wingman and Sidekick on special at box store for $20ea and they come with Style CS or a prytool I cannot remember the name of  :think:.  When I stepped up to a Wave I was very impressed.  While both Wingman and Sidekick were very competent tools they were over shaded by the capability of the Wave.  If you need a simple basic too without extra features I am glad the NXT fits the bill.  The prices of both WM/SK are a bit much IMO. 

Welcome to MTO. 

Esse Quam Videri
Hero Member Posts: 951
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 10:37:17 PM »
After 10 years on the same leatherman wingman it finally happened. I lost it. Guy at the store convinced me to try a Gerber suspension and wow.

It is lightweight.

A lot easier to clean and take apart.

Cost less.

And I like the locks.

The scissors work very well.

I wonder if leatherman is going to raise it's game.

had the knife been better, and the quality..I think it would have been a home run. but I've heard way way too many horror stories of breaking to turn away from leatherman. They really need to up their quality.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $43.49
PayPal Fees: $2.52
Net Balance: $40.97
Below Goal: $259.03
Site Currency: USD
 14%