Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll

Do you worry about Germs/Contaminants on tools/knives

no, never
yes only for borrowed/bought used ones
yes for knives and tools
yes, for knives only

Do you, generally, worry about Germs/contaminants on tools/knives? 809

No Life Club Posts: 1,758
Re: Do you, generally, worry about Germs/contaminants on tools/knives?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »
I'm not too paranoid about it, but I try to take some care...

Most days, my knives don't see anything nastier than tape adhesive.  But I'll often have either a clean knife & a dirty knife, or at least clean & dirty blades on a multi-blade knife.  If I'm camping or something of that nature, I almost always have a clean knife and a dirty knife.  I also have some dedicated toolbox knives.

Most used knives on the market today are TSA seizures and you don't know where it's been.
:iagree: and this is one of the reasons why I rarely buy used knives.

However, I DON'T do any of the following:
  • Have knives or blades (outside of the kitchen) dedicated strictly for food use
  • Clean knives immediately before food use
  • Regularly or routinely clean or sanitize my knives (again, outside of the kitchen), except for giving the blade a quick wipe or rinse before returning to pocket or sheath if I've just cut something that appears to have left residue or particles on the blade
No Life Club Posts: 2,418
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »
I didn't vote among one of the choices because I am somewhere between No, Never, and Yes.

I had used my Leatherman Wave for a whole lot of food prep in the past, out of necessity.  I used it for bushels and bushels of fruits on the go (fruits were a much cheaper snack than prepackaged ones like granola bars and such in my estimation).  I had also used it quite a few times at home, as my kitchen knife was rubbish back then. 

That experience shook the germophobe out of me.  So in my SAK years (after things got better), I'm not shy about using my blade for quick food prep.  I'll wipe the blade before and after with a damp paper towel or something if I can, and will give it a good cleaning when I get home.

The caveats .... I don't use my MTs for food, though I do use my SAKs nowadays.  I don't cut raw meat with my SAKs.  I use an Opinel in the kitchen every day as my primary paring knife. 
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,565
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2020, 02:20:02 AM »
 :D
145.12 kB | 225x400

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $20.00
PayPal Fees: $1.34
Net Balance: $18.66
Below Goal: $281.34
Site Currency: USD