Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huntsman Lite question

Kraken · 21 · 1595

us Offline Kraken

Huntsman Lite question
on: November 11, 2020, 03:38:25 PM
Hey gang, I was looking for a little insight on the Huntsman Lite model. I’m thinking about getting one and wanted to know how bright the LED was on the models produced since 2019, if anyone has one. I have a Nite Ize Radiant microlight that puts out 6 lumens and is great for a quick light up. Is the light on the Huntsman Lite equivalent or close to that output?
Semper Fortis

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Huntsman Lite question
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 03:43:29 PM
I have the old (grey) and new (clear) Lite models, and the clear is much brighter - but I don't have a Nite microlight to compare for you. I would say it's as bright as other single LED 'button' cell fob lights I have...so not a replacement for a AAA, but OK for avoiding tripping hazards in the woods at night.

(Edit: pics added. Throw onto a wall at 50cm. LED is not bad, but just make sure you get the clear housing version)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 03:52:55 PM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 03:51:17 PM
I have the old (grey) and new (clear) Lite models, and the clear is much brighter - but I don't have a Nite microlight to compare for you. I would say it's as bright as other single LED 'button' cell fob lights I have...so not a replacement for a AAA, but OK for avoiding tripping hazards in the woods at night.

Thanks Max! That's the type of use I was thinking of and your comparison gives me a great idea of how it will operate. For what it's worth, the Nite Ize microlight is good for the same purposes. I have it clipped to the outside of my Maxpedition tool kit for a quick light, without having to open the bag and retrieve my AA light.
Semper Fortis

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 03:56:01 PM
...and you get the inline Phillips  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 03:58:44 PM
...and you get the inline Phillips  :tu:
:like:
I do love me an inline Phillips!
Semper Fortis

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 03:59:05 PM
New ones are brighter than the old ones, but I don’t think as bright as many modern keychain lites like Photon(?) the battery in mine isn’t new, so it wouldn’t make a good comparison.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 05:04:13 PM
Thanks for the edit with the photos Max! :cheers:
Semper Fortis

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 05:35:14 PM
 :hatsoff:

00 Online Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 07:34:56 PM
I agree with Max' assessment but would like to add that Vic improved the LED some time before they changed the housing (from grey to clear). This means that last gen grey housing "Lite" SAKs are equally bright as clear housing ones. In fact, I prefer the light of my grey housing Traveler Lite to my clear housing Huntsman Lite's: the former does not dazzle the user in dark surroundings.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 07:41:04 PM
I agree with Max' assessment but would like to add that Vic improved the LED some time before they changed the housing (from grey to clear). This means that last gen grey housing "Lite" SAKs are equally bright as clear housing ones. In fact, I prefer the light of my grey housing Traveler Lite to my clear housing Huntsman Lite's: the former does not dazzle the user in dark surroundings.

An interesting point, good Sir Knight.
Semper Fortis

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 07:50:45 PM
Agree with Simon’s comments about the late grey ones. They don’t have the ‘hook’ on the bottom of the housing.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Kraken

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 11:42:11 AM
Giving this a bump as the decreased daylight in the northern hemisphere has caused me to once again ponder the 'need' for a Huntsman Lite in my daily carry rotation. For those of you that have one and have a carried one, how easy is it to have the flashlight switch on as you slide it in to your pocket ? I carry my Explorer in my front pocket along with my wallet, so I'm concerned that the light will get switched on without my knowledge and the battery will be drained when I really need to use it.
Semper Fortis

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 05:19:17 PM
The button is recessed so can only be activated by quite firm pressure with your thumb. It's unlikely to be activated when in a pocket because of this design. The button has a momentary position (press down), and a latching position (slide back), but both of these actions need quite deliberate movement of your thumb.

If I rub the button hard against the edge of my jean's pocket, it is possible to catch the button and force the switch into the on position - but this really needs to be an intentional effort with the button engaging against a tight edge of the pocket. I really cannot see this happening accidentally in normal pocket use and I would not raise this as a concern.  :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 12:32:43 AM
I regularly turn them on by accident when putting it in the change pocket of misc jeans. Wasted a few pairs of batteries that way. Not really a problem in most other pockets.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 02:49:47 AM
Thank you Max & kamakiri for the insights. You've all but sealed my fate as I've run out of excuses for not getting a Huntsman Lite. Now if I can only hold off getting one until after Christmas....
Semper Fortis

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 04:14:26 AM
So, the plan is to wait until *after* the winter solstice before getting one?  :dunno:

I thought one of the MTO sayings is “buy now, regret later”…or “it’s only money”. You choose.  ;)

us Offline Kraken

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 11:45:23 AM
So, the plan is to wait until *after* the winter solstice before getting one?  :dunno:

I thought one of the MTO sayings is “buy now, regret later”…or “it’s only money”. You choose.  ;)
You bring up a great point about the timing of my purchase. I should get one now to take full advantage of the onboard flashlight. Thanks kamakiri!  :salute:
Semper Fortis

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 12:40:38 PM
Based on some very rough calculations and an Amateur Hour with a lumen tube, the current gen of Lite models puts out about 2.5lm.
Annoyingly, they don't have a reflector of any kind, and the clear plastic means you get half that output straight in your own face.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 07:08:02 PM
You bring up a great point about the timing of my purchase. I should get one now to take full advantage of the onboard flashlight. Thanks kamakiri!  :salute:

:salute:

I also see that you’ve been considering the purchase since last year. I think we can safely say that you aren’t making a hasty decision.  :tu:

00 Online Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 08:38:59 PM
:salute:

I also see that you’ve been considering the purchase since last year. I think we can safely say that you aren’t making a hasty decision.  :tu:

If Kraken had a penny for every time he was pondering the issue, the Huntsman Lite would already be paid for  :rofl:

us Offline Kraken

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 08:43:00 PM
If Kraken had a penny for every time he was pondering the issue, the Huntsman Lite would already be paid for  :rofl:

:like: :iagree:
I'd probably have more than one Huntsman Lite by now!
Semper Fortis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD