Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Electrician Discontinued?

us Offline hsherzfeld

Victorinox Electrician Discontinued?
on: October 21, 2021, 06:33:51 PM
I was browsing the Victorinox US website the other day and I noticed that the Electrician is no longer listed in the Alox section.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Electrician Discontinued?
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:29:11 PM
Also gone from their .com site. Could be  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 11:05:25 PM
Still available at Knifecenter.com and SMKW.COM and probably at other US dealers. Maybe old stock??
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:26:37 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 02:34:00 AM
They really are getting annoying with all the discontinuing this year. Just a whole lot of Classic flavours to replace everything with. Am I right, people, or just whining?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 08:14:31 AM
Spot the trend: Classic SD Silver Alox $26.99 ---> Classic SD 2021 LE Orange Alox $39.99 ---> Classic Precious Alox Collection $50.00

Maximizing profits on a low-cost / high-volume product.  :whistle:

The R&D on new tools / SAKs is high compared to changing scale designs and colors.  :D
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 05:53:42 PM
The R&D on new tools / SAKs is high compared to changing scale designs and colors.  :D
I’m not asking for new SAKs; I just don’t like seeing them discontinue existing models. There can’t be much R&D involved in maintaining existing product lines.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

gb Offline andywork

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 06:29:54 PM
I remember reading this recently:

A contact of mine living in Switzerland confirmed […] the Electrician is never offered on the website but has always been in stock in just about any store. So not discontinued, but not actively offered either.

Taken from this thread:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,86769.msg2234718.html#msg2234718

I’ve no idea if this situation is still the case now,? Though, it would explain the weird availability issues. :think:

Hope that helps.  :)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 06:41:49 PM
I've always enjoyed SAKs, but I only really got into collecting them in the last year or so. It's really frustrating to see all these interesting/useful models becoming harder to find, while they roll out page after page of shinier Classics for 3x retail. I'd love to build up a good sized collection, but I don't want 30 different Classics, I want 30 different models.

Part of me hopes this is just the prelude to a larger revamp, killing off unpopular lines and refreshing with something more interesting. A bigger part of me is afraid that Vic is just going to go the way of a lot of other companies and keep churning out low effort stuff like this until they're just a hollowed out shell of the company they used to be.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 07:12:02 PM
Perhaps Victorinox is simply consolidating the 93mm Alox line to focus on the more popular models like the Pioneer and Farmer. The Electrician is, as its name implies, a rather niche model. I bought one just to try it out, but I don’t carry it. I just don’t like to see knives discontinued.  :-[

Boomer Sooner!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 08:47:28 PM
I've always enjoyed SAKs, but I only really got into collecting them in the last year or so. It's really frustrating to see all these interesting/useful models becoming harder to find.

It's a bit like collecting Lego: you have to snatch every interesting model in production as soon as  you get a got deal lest it goes out of production and up in price. But at least with SAKs you don't have to worry about storage space ;)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 10:15:07 PM
...unless your name is Chako  :D

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 11:37:23 PM
A bigger part of me is afraid that Vic is just going to go the way of a lot of other companies and keep churning out low effort stuff like this until they're just a hollowed out shell of the company they used to be.
Agreed. It would really be a shame to see them continue to exist in name only, as is the case with Camillus and Schrade.

It's a bit like collecting Lego...but at least with SAKs you don't have to worry about storage space ;)
Or losing little tiny pieces (as much, anyway)!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 12:09:11 AM
Agreed. It would really be a shame to see them continue to exist in name only, as is the case with Camillus and Schrade.

In the US, they would then be known as VINO, correct?  :cheers:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 01:17:48 AM
In the US, they would then be known as VINO, correct?  :cheers:
:facepalm:

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD