Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacement blade for original 'pat pending' wave

Offline Dunelm

• New User
Replacement blade for original 'pat pending' wave
on: November 13, 2020, 09:26:36 PM
Hi All,

I have an original wave manufactured July 2000 and unfortunately I have snapped the straight edge blade and I'm looking to replace it?

I can source replacement blades that claim to be compatible with the new wave and wave+ but I'm unclear if these will fit the original wave model ?

Otherwise does anyone here know where I can source a replacement ? I contacted Leatherman but their UK distributor doesn't do spare parts  :( and the US company claim they don't make blades for the original version anymore...

Any help greatly appreciated,

-- Dunelm

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Replacement blade for original 'pat pending' wave
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:47:11 PM
Nope 2nd gen and 3rd gen(wave+) doesnt go to og Wave.  You should send it to warranty and mark it sentimental, LM should be able to repair it.

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:48:36 PM
LM doesnt sell spare parts to anyone they only repair tools or replace it but never sells parts to anyone.

Only Tools Matters

Offline Dunelm

• New User
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:05:21 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately it's not really a warranty type of deal as it's pretty clear that the blade snapping after 20 years of use and, dare I say, some abuse is hardly indicative of a manufacturing defect.... The warranty position is further complicated by the fact I lived in the US when I bought it and yet I have to deal with Leatherman's uk agents which is where i now live and apparently the original wave was never even sold in the UK.

To be fair to Leatherman they have pretty much intimated that if I send it in they will give me a new wave but I'm a bit sentimental about this ...

-- Dunelm

wales Offline Gavin Jones

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 10:24:45 PM
I managed to pick up a couple of OG waves from eBay.

eBay will block their sale in the UK, but if you do an international search you'll see the odd one come up from mainland Europe, and you should be able to buy them no problems.

They don't come up often, but if you're patient it'll happen.

Offline Dunelm

• New User
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 10:44:46 PM
Hi,

Yea I thought of ebay but I guess they tightened up on these things.. I get the following message when trying to bid:

"Dear Buyer
To prevent the circumvention of the eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie Weapon and Knives policy, it is not possible for you to bid on, or buy this item.

Thank you for your understanding.

eBay Trust & Safety"

-- Dunelm

wales Offline Gavin Jones

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 11:01:14 PM
It'll do that sometimes. Did you actually look directly at the foreign sites? When I search the foreign site and switch the URL to .co.uk it never works, and I always  get that same message.

If something turns up on the .co.uk site in a normal search I've always been able to buy it. I think the "pointy things" filter hasn't been put on a collectibles category and that's how they get through.

Etsy is another place to look. There's a couple on there now. One in the UK, but they want too much for it, and one in the US that's more reasonable but the delivery and import duties make it expensive.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 11:54:31 PM

Unfortunately it's not really a warranty type of deal as it's pretty clear that the blade snapping after 20 years of use and, dare I say, some abuse is hardly indicative of a manufacturing defect....

Will still be covered by the warranty.

... and apparently the original wave was never even sold in the UK.

Whoever told you that's talking out their anus.

If I was you, I'd email Leatherman directly, expressing the sentimental nature of the tool and see what they say... but don't lay it on too thick.

ltginfo@leatherman.com

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 11:57:37 PM
Also, don't tell them you snapped it opening a tin of paint etc...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 12:36:11 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  :cheers: hope you can get it sorted :tu:

LM USA should be able to repair it and it will be under warranty, you may just have to have a few back and forth emails about it :salute: Good luck with it all :tu:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 02:13:20 AM
Leatherman uk Whitby & Co will just send you a new one (wave plus). Do you have family in the states you could post it to and then they send it in for repair, if indeed leatherman USA do do repairs rather than replace.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%