Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain light

RF52 · 42 · 3733

us Offline BadMechanic

Re: Keychain light
Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 04:38:18 PM
Just got me an i1r 2 EOS and man that thing is bright. $18 with rechargeable usb. Id recommend that for a keychain light.

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 06:00:26 PM

Just picked up a Nitecore Tini Cu to go with my copper Covid tool and I'm impressed with how much light this tiny thing can pump out.
~$30 on Amazon.

us Offline William

Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 11:07:25 PM
I like both the TINI and TIP in copper. They feel much more substantial.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 03:33:54 AM
I like both the TINI and TIP in copper. They feel much more substantial.
(Image removed from quote.)
Like the look of those think I’ll get the tini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Questman42

• New User
Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 02:04:34 AM
I have a penchant for keychain lights. My problem is durability.
For your edification:
Maglight solitaire lasted the longest at a year. Something began to wear out around 8 months. It would light but became more and more dim. Changed the LED but it was still too dim to use.

had a stream light microstream for about 3 months before it wouldn't turn on anymore.

Same with the home depot/husky knockoff.

The coast g19 lasted about six months until a beach trip. Sat in the sand with that thing on my belt loop one time. It will still turn on, but only if I take the battery out and put it back in a few times.

Got a Fenix eO5. It lasted 2 months before it started being finicky about turning on. It will work sometimes if I turn the switch back and forth to the farthest position 3 or 4 times.

Latest was a  glaree eO3: some weird brand on Amazon for a cheap price that promises the world. I accidentally washed it and it still worked for two weeks before crapping out.

I haven't tried any rechargeable ones. I'm thinking or trying an olight eO3 next. Hope it is more tough.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 02:47:32 AM
Surprised the Coast G19 isnt working right. Ive put some abuse on mine. Outside you can see the wear on it. Currently in a maxpedition micro pouch with my LM ES4 and bit kits.

Offline Questman42

• New User
Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 03:20:33 AM
I think mine might get more wear and tear cuz I actually carry them on a keychain on my belt loop rather than in a pouch or pocket. They probably bang around alot.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 04:49:19 AM
I think mine might get more wear and tear cuz I actually carry them on a keychain on my belt loop rather than in a pouch or pocket. They probably bang around alot.

How often are you using these lights and what for typically?

Personally I feel like a AAA light (especially one with a tail switch) is a light duty carry light unto itself and not a keychain light. Something like the Olight i1r eos is a fantastic keychain light (and mine's taken enough basihing that a decent amount of the gnurling's ano has come off), if you're looking for more than a light that size can offer you on a regular basis, then you may actually want a dedicated light that you pocket/belt/pouch carry.

That's just my opinon though, I know keychain preferences vary wildly (I've seen people rock 93mm SAKs on keychains, couldn't do it myself).
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 10:23:38 AM

Interesting point.  I can see that might put more stress on them.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.  :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Questman42

• New User
Reply #39 on: August 05, 2020, 07:55:03 PM
geared,
I just use them for typical registered nurse, car repair, home repair, I dropped something in a dark or shadowy spot type stuff. It's faster than unlocking my cell and turning on the flashlight function. I might try this light you speak of.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 05, 2020, 10:22:23 PM
geared,
I just use them for typical registered nurse, car repair, home repair, I dropped something in a dark or shadowy spot type stuff. It's faster than unlocking my cell and turning on the flashlight function. I might try this light you speak of.

Yeah, personally for your needs I'd go with the Olight i1r eos on the keychain for unexpected use/light carry and carry a AAA light clipped to pocket or something. I think pairing the i1R eos with the AAA i3T would suit your needs very well and both are well made lights and budget friendly (since you said nurse I assume you mean the pupil dilation thing? I have no idea how much light is too much for that).
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 30, 2020, 05:49:59 AM
I've had pretty good luck with the Maglite Solitaire LED on my keychain. The aluminum casing shows lots of wear but the light still works okay.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD