Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Hook: Yea or Nay?

Kraken · 95 · 2922

Poll

Do you prefer the hook on SAK models that could carry them?

Hook
38 (66.7%)
No hook
19 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 55

us Offline Kraken

The Hook: Yea or Nay?
on: November 18, 2020, 04:24:15 PM
Max Stone's reply to my post on using my fish scaler for something other than its intended purpose, got me to thinking about the hook. He said "Sometimes the most specific tools are found to be the most generic. Like the corkscrew, the scaler ends up being rarely used for its primary purpose, but often ends up being ideal for the most unusual needs."  It seems the hook is also one of those polarizing tools, like the fish scaler or the magnifying glass, that can really divide the forum in to two distinct camps, for or against. Personally, I have always found the hook intriguing and it was one of the reasons I went with a Compact as one of my first SAK purchases as an adult. I have grown so fond of the hook, that when purchasing used SAKs, I will pass over any that don't have the hook. I've used it to pull trampoline springs in to place on the frame, help open pull tabs, pull up grates, carry paint cans a fair distance, fish wires out of hard to reach holes and clamped it on to data cables to help when tracing them out in a large bundle so I can make sure I'm pulling on the correct one. So what about everyone else? What are your preferences on the hook and what unique ways have you used it?  :popcorn:
Semper Fortis

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Hook: Yea or Nay?
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 04:53:24 PM
I voted no hook.  I have 2 Explorer, Ranger, 2 Champions, and other no hook models that I like every much.  While the hook certainly can be used outside its original intended purpose I've never felt it was needed. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 05:08:48 PM
One for the Hook! I sometimes carry the Climber or Compact and awlways find a use for the Hook. It's perfect for shopping bags, with a paracord lanyard I have, made specially to be used with the hook.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Kraken

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 05:15:53 PM
One for the Hook! I sometimes carry the Climber or Compact and awlways find a use for the Hook. It's perfect for shopping bags, with a paracord lanyard I have, made specially to be used with the hook.

:tu: :tu:

:like:  Do you have any pictures to show how it works?
Semper Fortis

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 05:38:48 PM
:like:  Do you have any pictures to show how it works?

Sure, I can even show you how to do it:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85617.msg2165670.html#msg2165670

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 06:03:26 PM
Voted 'Hook', but my stance is:

- Hook with file - Definite 'Yea'
- Regular hook without file - Can take it or leave it.

The nail file hook should be the standard on SAK's, that's a function almost everyone can use. Fishing something out from somewhere, pulling on something, carrying something? My guess it's quite rare. 

EDIT: The black Vic in my avatar is a Golfer - a Compact without the hook, with a plain backspring - and it's one of my most carried SAK's, pretty sure I could do without a regular hook most of the time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:09:16 PM by Exeter »

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 06:45:08 PM
Sure, I can even show you how to do it:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85617.msg2165670.html#msg2165670

Thanks pfrsantos! I going to have to give this a try.
Semper Fortis

us Offline Kraken

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 06:46:32 PM

The nail file hook should be the standard on SAK's, that's a function almost everyone can use.

:iagree:
Semper Fortis

Offline mininhchina2121

• New User
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 07:00:16 PM
REMOVED
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:08:22 PM by zoidberg »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 07:05:47 PM
while i can live without the hook, i'd rather have it there on sak's that have it, than not...
It's not only handy for lots of things but also you can hide a modded micro SD under it, or a pin...

Here i used it as a jacket holder at work's wc last year

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 07:34:12 PM
If you have a hook, as Exeter has said before, then it should have the file incorporated into it! I can find a use for it on occasion (holding the pen makes that more usable for me, grabbing the look of a pull through line in the breech of my PCP air rifle), but it’s not a must have for me. :dunno:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 07:37:18 PM
Handy for pulling pins, hooks on tie-downs, and carrying wire-handle buckets and other hard-to-grab stuff.  Also, on models three layers or thinner, it's great for holding the pen. In fact, the pen is designed to be used that way.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 08:16:17 PM
This is a tuffy,, I can see uses for it but I don’t think I’ve ever used mine :think: now what makes me mad is they have the two diff types, the one with and one without the nail file, now most tools on a sak being multipurpose, like a fish scaler but also a ruler, a bottle opener and screwdriver, they should have kept it double duty and not just a hook! And if that was the case I would most definitely say yes!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nl Offline nitram

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 08:48:07 PM
Well, that's a good question. I'm not sure where I stand on the hook issue. It can be a nice tool to have if you need to pull something, although in a pinch I have used the can opener to pull a wire as well. On the other hand I also like the smoother back of an older SAK. I have a Champion for example that only has the awl and fine screwdriver on the backside and that does feel very nice in my hand, better than a Champ with hook and chisel added.

So, uhm, to answer the question, I don't know  :dunno:

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 09:10:01 PM
As mentioned earlier, I like the hook with the file material on it too.
I did vote for hook because I'm now going to use it to press on keypads when at the ATM or at the gas pump instead of using my finger.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 09:19:42 PM
I voted yes on the hook,, I have found it useful on a number of occasions

When I was working at a restaurant and a delivery driver dropped his keys down a grate that was 3 feet deep I used some paracord and tied it around my Super Tinker and lowered the SAK into the grate and hooked the key ring with the hook and retrieved his keys which included his truck keys and keys to various businesses. It was his first day as a delivery driver so he was relieved that he did not have to call in and tell his boss that he lost the keys down a drain.

The water heater in the basement of the restaurant leaked all over the floor and the moisture caused the wood door to the basement to swell so that it would not open. there was no door knob on the door so I used the hook to hook the slot where the latch slides and was able to pull the door open.

The hook has many uses if you keep an open mind to the possibilities as needs arise.

Here is a video showing 13 ways a hook can be used

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:28:50 PM by VICMAN »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 09:48:50 PM
while i can live without the hook, i'd rather have it there on sak's that have it, than not...
It's not only handy for lots of things but also you can hide a modded micro SD under it, or a pin...

Here i used it as a jacket holder at work's wc last year

(Image removed from quote.)

The question remains, of course, why you didn't just use the jacket holder which is right next to the SAK?  :think:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 10:38:07 PM
The question remains, of course, why you didn't just use the jacket holder which is right next to the SAK?  :think:

LOL... What jacket holder...??  :think:

You mean that ball end stud that's both the stop for the lock when it's unlocked and door knob puller?

because it was too short/rounded and thick and the jacket would fall off. Too thick to hang it by the collar "lace" too...

There is usually a hanger in the upper middle of the door but it was gone... (no surprises there, on a public company's wc...)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 10:47:01 PM

You mean that ball end stud that's both the stop for the lock when it's unlocked and door knob puller?

because it was too short/rounded and thick and the jacket would fall off. Too thick to hang it by the collar "lace" too...

There is usually a hanger in the upper middle of the door but it was gone... (no surprises there, on a public company's wc...)

Well, that solves the mystery ;)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 10:48:29 PM
I voted "Hook"...

The nail file hook should be the standard on SAK's, that's a function almost everyone can use.
:iagree:

With regard to unusual uses, I've used mine as a tent stake puller.  I've also used it as a coat hanger.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 10:54:16 PM

Was there a hole left where the hanger was?  If so, the SAK with hook makes a perfect coat hanger.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 11:20:11 PM
Was there a hole left where the hanger was?  If so, the SAK with hook makes a perfect coat hanger.

Yup, there was. But he hole was too narrow for the hook to fit in. those hangers are fixed with a thin screw through the door wood...  :dunno:

Offline dlew919

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 11:54:40 PM
You can pull it right back and use your sak as a mobile device stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 12:13:25 AM
I can see how the hook would be useful to some people.  But I have never used one, so I'm neutral about it. But its the corkscrew that I would love to see disappear.  I have never used a corkscrew either, and it takes up real space on the SAK.

:cheers:

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 02:44:20 AM
Ever since I used my Climber’s hook to grab paracord or hemp through itself to make a knot, I love the thing.

Offline dlew919

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 03:19:48 AM
I can see how the hook would be useful to some people.  But I have never used one, so I'm neutral about it. But its the corkscrew that I would love to see disappear.  I have never used a corkscrew either, and it takes up real space on the SAK.

You use it to keep a jewellers screwdriver in ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 03:27:18 AM
Gotta love the hook, if for no other reason than it's better than nuthin', all other things held equal.  I use it for one specific chore regularly, and need to remind myself to explore some of these other uses.   

All hail the hook.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 05:38:13 AM

Totally agree on the corkscrew, yeah it holds the jewelers screwdriver but I’ve never used either, I think the back philips should take over, I mean your carrying a knife with “tools” yet they put a corkscrew on vs a screwdriver? I mean a Rambo knife has a hollow handle for matches and fishing line, and has a compass on the bottom, should that be a corkscrew instead?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 06:03:08 AM
The hook on its own is fine but unfortunately it creates a really thick layer the only other benefit of which is a useless pair of scissors. No hook.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 06:35:08 AM
Holy mother of pearl, here we are with another 'Hook or no hook" thread. Well, I think Hook works more or less fine as a kid's movie and an extension of the Peter Pan story, and that's about it.

Down with the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im personally not a wine guy, but use the corkscrew as a tool to help untie frozen or sopping wet hiking boot laces. It's a reasonable monofilament fishing line de-knotting "spike" aka marlin spike, too.

But the hook?!  I swear whatever use you find for it, I can find another tool on the same SAK to do the same job. Usually better. Tor maybe i can find a more sensible way of doing it. Some of these uses for the hook really had to be cooked up, beyond sensibility.  The hook ruins the smoothidity of the underside of a Philips-equipped SAK, and for little to no return.

Be under no illusions that this is a multi purpose hook. According to instructions I received with my Tinker Deluxe 9 years ago or so, it was billed as a package carrier - by hooking around the package string. As if it's still 1946 around here.

I would rather see the canned meats key slot returned to the Philips screwdriver. I do see those cans in south America or certain groceries even in the US

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%