Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKlip - Custom bit holder and other accessories for SAK's

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Custom bit holder and other accessories for SAK's

Just found this through this youtube video:

Creator's facebook page to order:

https://www.facebook.com/SAKlip3D/services/?ref=page_internal

Any of you guys ever hear about this?

I'm definitely going to order some stuff...  :tu:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: SAKlip - Custom bit holder and other accessories for SAK's
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 07:07:03 PM
 :like: that looks awesome

us Offline Kraken

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 08:13:44 PM
Interesting concept. For a while I was using a 1/4 inch drive, 1/4 inch 6-point socket adapter with hex drive bits. The cap lifter of the 91mm range fit the 1/4 inch drive on the back of the socket. The fit is a little wobbly but it wasn't a deal breaker. I kept my most commonly used hex bits in an old Altoids mini tin. I found that Wiha made a 1/4 inch hex bit to precision (4mm?) bit adapter, so I could use that with the smaller precision bits in the socket. This was my set up until I purchased a Victorinox bit wrench and a mini 1/4 inch ratchet.
Semper Fortis

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 08:45:00 PM
Well, i'm loving this concept. Actually very exited!!
A light weight sturdy bit adapter that fits the cap lifter perfectly and tightly, with no wobble...? Goodbye Cybertools and Explorers...  :woohoo:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 08:53:35 PM
Neat idea, thanks for sharing Mac  :tu:

I understand these are made of plastic though  :dunno:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:21:41 PM
Neat idea, thanks for sharing Mac  :tu:

I understand these are made of plastic though  :dunno:

It's made on a 3D printer. Don't know what kind of plastic it is, but it's apparently tested at 5 Nm without deforming.

He doing a stress test on this vid:

You can see the whole frame of the SAK flexing. The bit holder holds fine. It's way more stress than i would ever put any of my sak's through, so it's great by me  :cheers:

He is also making custom scales, toothpicks, and bit holders to carry the bits  :tu:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:27:21 PM by MacGyver »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:31:40 PM
Hey, thanks Mac for the video link  :hatsoff:

Just so you know, I did manage to bend the bottle opener screw driver in 90° position on my first SwissChamp.... sooo.... I'm more careful with that since  :D

Anyhow, it looks too be sturdy enough  :tu:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 12:02:56 AM
Tested at 5Nm - OK

https://fb.watch/1U1ijJ46i-/

Tested at 9Nm - Broken

https://fb.watch/1U1afeA_gQ/

Offline Tobyrm

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 12:52:55 AM
Nice work! Good idea!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 10:23:46 AM
Only 8 replies....
Thought a lot more folks would get exited over this...  :-\

Well, i am... new tool possibilities...  :woohoo:

nl Offline nitram

Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 11:04:28 AM
Well, it sure looks interesting.  :tu:

Since I don’t have the Book of Faces there is no way to learn more about this. Do they have a regular website? I can’t seem to find one.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 11:22:51 AM

Since I don’t have the Book of Faces there is no way to learn more about this. Do they have a regular website? I can’t seem to find one.

That is where lots of businesses go wrong  :P
A real website is a must.

Or at least a store front, like etsy etc. to the least.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 12:16:03 PM
Yeah, having the site only on Facebook is a drag...  :-\
But websites cost money, and i don't know how long he is been selling those, or if it justifies the cost vs sales volume.

But one can easily create a generic "alias" facebook page to contact the seller and order the items...  :dunno:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:43 PM
An interesting idea. But I don't want to have to carry a pair of channellocks to remove the bits. Maybe not quite ready for prime time?
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 02:17:00 PM
An interesting idea. But I don't want to have to carry a pair of channellocks to remove the bits. Maybe not quite ready for prime time?
Rich

My guess is that both the bit adapter and the bits holder is a little tight when new. Nothing a touch up or a little lube wouldn't fix. As far as i can see the bit adapter has a small magnet inside.
After a little of use i'm sure it will "stretch out", with no channellocks needed...  ;)

Edit:

Found another video on this:

no pliers or similar needed to extract the bits out of the adapter...  :pok:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 03:25:56 PM by MacGyver »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 06:48:38 PM
Its very neat. I have not torqued my SAKs to deformation or breaking point but I have pushed them hard.  I think that adapter is a nice way to add more functionality to an already wonderful tool.  I have my misgivings on the Cybertool so this IMO is pointed in a seemingly better direction.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 07:37:30 PM
Just watched the first vid posted a little more carefully, and realized the guy in the video is a bit... huhh... "mistaken"...  :whistle: on how to use the multibit storage holder.....
He is putting the bits on the wider part which is clearly the "lid" to put on top of the bits, when inside the holder (narrower part)... No wonder he is using pliers to get the bits out of the holder's lid....  :facepalm:
Plenty of pics on the facebook page of both the bit adapter in use, multibits holder, custom scales and colored toothpicks

From what i read, one can order the custom multibits storage holder (also made with 3D print) with the number of slots desired, besides the bits adapter of course.  :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:44:49 PM by MacGyver »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 10:18:57 PM

+1

I refuse to join, even with sock puppet accounts. If you give in, it'll only encourage them.

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 12:26:38 AM
+1

I refuse to join, even with sock puppet accounts. If you give in, it'll only encourage them.

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Mate..... Really..??  :facepalm:

So let's see....

Here we have an implement (custom bit driver) for SAK's created by someone, that can effectively turn ANY sak with a bottle opener into a "Cybertool" (better actually), and you are griping about having to do order it or ask info on it on a Facebook page, and not having an oficial website for a "home made product", and pass out on it because of that...??

The guy either has a 3D printer or has easy access to a 3D printer, and created and sell a custom bit adapter and bit holder for sak's, custom scales, and custom toothpicks, that's 4 small niche products. I can understand not having a dedicated website yet...
I don't like having to do it by facebook any more that you guys do, would prefer at least e-mail as form of communication/order, but that a deal breaker for me by any stretch...

Anyway, you do what ever you want, of couse.

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry i posted this topic in the first place....  :twak:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:32:17 AM by MacGyver »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 01:14:17 AM
Mate..... Really..??  :facepalm:

So let's see....

Here we have an implement (custom bit driver) for SAK's created by someone, that can effectively turn ANY sak with a bottle opener into a "Cybertool" (better actually), and you are griping about having to do order it or ask info on it on a Facebook page, and not having an oficial website for a "home made product", and pass out on it because of that...??

The guy either has a 3D printer or has easy access to a 3D printer, and created and sell a custom bit adapter and bit holder for sak's, custom scales, and custom toothpicks, that's 4 small niche products. I can understand not having a dedicated website yet...
I don't like having to do it by facebook any more that you guys do, would prefer at least e-mail as form of communication/order, but that a deal breaker for me by any stretch...

Anyway, you do what ever you want, of couse.

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry i posted this topic in the first place....  :twak:

Don't be! It's a nice piece of equipment and it's good to know it exists. I bet most/awl of the people who have a FaceB account around here will be interested and will enjoy you sharing this info.

I was just speaking for myself. I don't have any apps in my phone (apart from the ones that came with it), because I would need a GMail account (which I don't have) to get them. I have several other quirks like these...

:cheers: :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 01:27:17 AM
Don't be! It's a nice piece of equipment and it's good to know it exists. I bet most/awl of the people who have a FaceB account around here will be interested and will enjoy you sharing this info.

I was just speaking for myself. I don't have any apps in my phone (apart from the ones that came with it), because I would need a GMail account (which I don't have) to get them. I have several other quirks like these...

:cheers: :salute:

But why your phone...? Why not doing it on a PC/laptop?
I don't have Facebook installed on my phone too. It's like one of the first apps i uninstall when ever i get a phone. Don't do "social networking" at all....
Only have an account for one or two groups of interest cause it's the only way to access them.
But for this purpose i'd just rather create a dummy account for the order only. Nevertheless, i always access it on my PC/laptop trough a regular browser....  :dunno:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 01:43:22 AM
But why your phone...? Why not doing it on a PC/laptop?
I don't have Facebook installed on my phone too. It's like one of the first apps i uninstall when ever i get a phone. Don't do "social networking" at all....
Only have an account for one or two groups of interest cause it's the only way to access them.
But for this purpose i'd just rather create a dummy account for the order only. Nevertheless, i always access it on my PC/laptop trough a regular browser....  :dunno:

I don't even have my bank's app installed or MBWay for payments or a QRCode reader or anything else. "If you want this you have to do that" is a sure recipe for me to say "No, thanks".

I know, I (probably) miss a lot by being like this...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 01:59:55 AM
I don't even have my bank's app installed or MBWay for payments or a QRCode reader or anything else. "If you want this you have to do that" is a sure recipe for me to say "No, thanks".

I know, I (probably) miss a lot by being like this...

:facepalm:

Ohh believe me mate, you're not alone in that one... you are not alone... :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 05:41:38 AM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 23, 2020, 09:06:25 AM
 :iagree: not into “social” networking either! Just not my cup of tea....

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 09:32:38 AM
"If you want this you have to do that"

That's what she said!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 06:20:42 PM
I like the idea of this adapter and might consider getting one for my mini tool kit for work.
Semper Fortis

ca Offline Altis

Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 08:32:20 PM
No joke, I've been pondering ways to make a device just like this lately. However, I assumed (probably falsely) that it would have to be machined of metal.

Definitely interested in picking some up and giving them a go.  :cheers: I'm curious to see how they'll withstand temperature extremes (thanks Ontario weather!).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%