Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yeoman vs Super Tinker

Poll

Yeoman or Super Tinker for EDC?

Yeoman
11 (52.4%)
Super Tinker
10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Offline SirZanos

Yeoman vs Super Tinker
on: November 26, 2020, 09:29:01 AM
I know the Yeoman is an older model that is not readily available these days, so this post is very specific sorry.

I will carry one of these every single day and even add some fancier custom scales to it. While the other one will be gifted to family, or maybe you guys have ideas for that?

I plan to mod my Explorer with a Compact and Tinker, to create both the Yeoman and Super Tinker (and add the Compact's Hook/File to the winning tool).
Now, the reason I don't just use the Explorer is because I want something a little less bulky, preferrably a 3 layer. But a requirement is having that Phillips, somewhere. Which is why I also don't just pick a Compact.
Lastly, I will supplement this with my Rambler that I always keep on my keychain, in case I ever forget my 91mm SAK. So that is an added factor.

While these two knives largely complete the same tasks, in different ways, here is a quick list to their overall differences:
Yeoman
- No Small Blade
- No Awl
- Has a Combo Tool, instead of Opener Layer (opinions will vary)
- Has in-line Phillips (+1)

Super Tinker
- No Corkscrew
- No Mini Screwdriver capability
- No Magnifier
- Has back layer Phillips

Vote how you think I should proceed, or even just vote on which tool you prefer more for EDC! Thanks for any input!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Yeoman vs Super Tinker
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 10:29:15 AM
Prefer the full opener layer and I use the awl more than the Phillips so can get away with it being on the back and still have 2 drivers on the openers. My vote SuperT.  :salute:

(Edit: also use the small blade for lots of small cutting tasks to save the main)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 01:27:49 PM
Since I made a Yeoman, I’m really enjoying using my slimline Explorer- the magnifier is so useful, and the only tool it misses for me is an awl, but I’ve since learnt that the combo tool can be sharpened to fulfil the purpose of package opening without gunk on blades - thanks Sos24- - I’ll have to do that to my Yeoman!

However the Climber is a great knife!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 02:13:04 PM
I'll go with the Super Tinker as well.  :tu:

Yes the Yeoman is nice, as is the inline Phillips, but i have other good ways to have inline SD's with the bottle opener and the mag glass is near irrelevant to me. The thick Phillips/mag layer dosen't merit loosing the Bottle/Can openers, Small blade and Awl to me...  :dunno:
And you still have a back side 3D phillips for light torque tasks
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 03:52:37 PM
Actually a Compact with a back layer Philips had always intrigued me.  My vote is the Yeoman.  It's a great tool set, and I need the mag glass anymore :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 04:34:18 PM
Super Tinker. The opener layer contains my most used tools.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

Offline SirZanos

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 05:22:02 PM
Wow, this is a closer race than I thought it would be.

Every time I think I’ve finally figured it out, I lean toward the other knife. This is real tough. Great feedback, so far!
Currently, the Super Tinker does sound nice as a more sturdy tool. But then I consider the corkscrew and mini screwdriver of the Yeoman. . . Decisions decisions.

As I’ve never actually used a combo tool myself yet, that may just be my first move to deciding. But, I definitely would be using a Phillips far more than most of the included tools.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 05:43:17 PM
You could always carry the Yeoman and the Vic bit wrench with installed Phillips bit. I know it is another tool, but the wrench is very compact and takes much more torque than the backside Phillips of the ST.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 05:52:45 PM
You could always carry the Yeoman and the Vic bit wrench with installed Phillips bit. I know it is another tool, but the wrench is very compact and takes much more torque than the backside Phillips of the ST.

Or...
You can carry any SAK you like with a bottle opener and get one of these, and some bits...:

... and have any type/size of in line SD you want...

:D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:34:39 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 05:59:03 PM
MacGyver, those look cool but your link doesn't appear to work.  Can you supply the link?

Thanks,

Myron

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 06:13:19 PM
MacGyver, those look cool but your link doesn't appear to work.  Can you supply the link?

Thanks,

Myron

Uppss..., you're right sorry...

But that wasn't a link, i just underlined the words....  :facepalm:

The adapter was discussed in this thread:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,86010.0.html

The seller is French, and the contact, info and order are on this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/SAKlip3D/

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 06:23:42 PM
I have developed a preference for max 3 layers for the 5th/watch/coin pocket.

I went from/to.. Climber > Deluxe Tinker > Compact > Yeoman > Climber > Pioneer (with Swisscard lite in wallet)...

Since I figured out that the can opener is a sufficient 2d Phillips for my uses I'm not looking at the Tinker anymore.
I also find the Combo Tool a bit limited.
The opener layer fits just the bill for me.

So... "at the moment"... I would say Yeomen of you need a magnifier often enough. Otherwise Climber Super Tinker.

No vote therefore  :hatsoff:

Offline SirZanos

Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 06:35:42 PM
I have developed a preference for max 3 layers for the 5th/watch/coin pocket.

I went from/to.. Climber > Deluxe Tinker > Compact > Yeoman > Climber > Pioneer (with Swisscard lite in wallet)...

Since I figured out that the can opener is a sufficient 2d Phillips for my uses I'm not looking at the Tinker anymore.
I also find the Combo Tool a bit limited.
The opener layer fits just the bill for me.

So... "at the moment"... I would say Yeomen of you need a magnifier often enough. Otherwise Climber Super Tinker.
The Explorer was my first SAK. I so very nearly bought the Climber instead because it seems to have everything. But now after a while of using the Explorer, it really just seems that I prefer having a Phillips around at all times. So I hate to give up the corkscrew, but currently for me it’s Super Tinker > Climber.

But that’s probably why I’m so stuck. I’d love to have the corkscrew. But I can also improvise the corkscrew by just carrying a spare on in the car when I know I’m gonna be having wine. And I found a good way of using the hook to get most knots out, instead of relying on the corkscrew for that, too.
Yet, I can’t have the mini screwdriver without the corkscrew.

This extra tool that MacGyver posted are pretty cool. But just too much for me to want to carry daily.
With the Rambler on my keychain, I just want my larger SAK to cover the rest of my bases.

I hate to say, “well I need experience using the combo tool before I make a decision.” But that’s almost where I’m at. . . And the votes are so close. They’re both such great builds. But just minor variances that are almost circumstantial to whatever you’re gonna deal with that day. But that’s a sacrifice I’d prefer to make to keep the layers down to a max of 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 06:54:48 PM

There maybe another option.  This is a photo from my "Mountain Tinker" mod, basically an easy mod to feature both phillips and corkscrew on the backside.

If you are willing to sacrifice the awl and hook, then you could simply follow my "Mountain Tinker" instruction on Mod squad, and use the Super Tinker as the base, mod the phillips in place of awl/hook, then install a new corkscrew onto the chassis. 

That way you could stay 3 layers, while having both corkscrew and a backside phillips.  However, just a humble caution, the backside phillips is no where near as strong as the inline phillips, so please use it with caution.

Offline SirZanos

Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 07:01:11 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
There maybe another option.  This is a photo from my "Mountain Tinker" mod, basically an easy mod to feature both phillips and corkscrew on the backside.

If you are willing to sacrifice the awl and hook, then you could simply follow my "Mountain Tinker" instruction on Mod squad, and use the Super Tinker as the base, mod the phillips in place of awl/hook, then install a new corkscrew onto the chassis. 

That way you could stay 3 layers, while having both corkscrew and a backside phillips.  However, just a humble caution, the backside phillips is no where near as strong as the inline phillips, so please use it with caution.
I’m glad you brought this back up. I read through this one months ago and completely forgot. This is definitely gonna be my third option. If anything, this is now even more difficult. Haha!

Giving up the hook is a bit tougher to decide for me, since I was looking forward to having a nail file on hand, transferred from the Compact. But I will most definitely strongly consider this one, since I was already ready to lose the Awl on the Yeoman model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 07:15:19 PM
Nice one Comis  :tu:

I find the cork screw works great to help untying knots. Did you try that SirZanos?

Oh... but wait.... no awl?  :ahhh

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 07:36:18 PM
Or...
You can carry any SAK you like with a bottle opener and get one of these, and some bits...:

... and have any type/size of in line SD you want...

:D

I saw those, but I think they can‘t take much torque. I prefer the Vic wrench, also works in smaller spaces.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 08:21:15 PM
Call me crazy but I'd rather have the Explorer and Compact, for different occasions.    :pok:

I'd probably slightly prefer the Super Tinker over the Yeoman as I think the extra blade and standard opening layer provide extra use while the T-Phillips can handle many Phillips. Only recessed Phillips screws with low clearance (ie. in a corner) give it trouble. Just be mindful that the T doesn't like to be torqued much, so I still try to use the can opener tip instead.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 08:24:58 PM
I saw those, but I think they can‘t take much torque. I prefer the Vic wrench, also works in smaller spaces.

Well, they tested perfectly fine at 5Nm, passable at 7Nm, only broke at 9Nm

If you need much more than a 5Nm torque to use an SD on a SAK, and more if on a regular/daily basis, you'd be better off carrying an atual screwdriver, IMHO anyway...

At least for me, for what i'd use the SAK as an SD it's more than enough torque. Much more and you'll risk deforming the SAK frame or get tool blade play.

While the wrench is obviously better, it also adds much weight and bulk to an EDC.
In the end it's always a natter of personal opinion and taste, and how much weight and bulk one is willing to carry as a regular EDC...  :dunno:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 08:57:10 PM

At least for me, for what i'd use the SAK as an SD it's more than enough torque. Much more and you'll risk deforming the SAK frame or get tool blade play.

Which is the second reason i carry the wrench, because it can take more torque than the SAK. And because I can use it sideways (put the bit into the small end of the L), it is easier to work with rusted or stuck screws. Even easier than a regular screwdriver. But that is just me. If this bit holder works for you, great!  :tu:

Offline SirZanos

Yeoman vs Super Tinker
Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 09:51:59 PM

I find the cork screw works great to help untying knots. Did you try that SirZanos?

Oh... but wait.... no awl?  :ahhh
Yeah the corkscrew works perfectly for that!
I found a way to use an Awl and a Hook together to achieve the same sort of usefulness. So that’s another point for the Super Tinker, I guess.

The Super Tinker is sounding more like possibly the better choice. Losing the corkscrew and having a much weaker Phillips head are the largest issues for me... The missing Awl would suck, in choosing the Yeoman, though.

The Rambler has an extra pen style knife. So that essentially negates the need for the Small Blade.

Offline SirZanos

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 01:46:05 AM
You guys are killing me with this 50/50 vote

Looks like this is gonna be tougher than I thought. The good news seems to be that I can’t go wrong with either choice, based on the current results.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 06:33:00 AM
I voted Yeoman. I've EDC'd both the Super Tinker and the Explorer and I've stuck with the Explorer the past few years because of the inline Philips driver. It just seems to be able to handle more every day situations where the ST backside Philips comes up short. I do prefer the opener layer of the ST to the combo tool, but think it's an acceptable sacrifice to keep the layers down like you want. Good luck with your decision!  :popcorn:
Semper Fortis

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 08:11:29 AM
This one is tough. I'd say go yoeman because you get both a corkscrew (which accepts an eyeglass screwdriver - great for me as an eyeglass user) and a dedicated Philips unlike the tinker where you're forced to forego easy access to wine ;). That being said you lose the small flathead and a second blade. If you do a lot of cutting I'd imagine you wanna save your main blade but if you're like me and only do very moderate amounts of cutting then the yeoman is the way to go. Tbh a yeoman which replaces the magnifying glass with a saw would be a major improvement.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 09:07:05 AM
You guys are killing me with this 50/50 vote

Looks like this is gonna be tougher than I thought. The good news seems to be that I can’t go wrong with either choice, based on the current results.

We're aiming for the MTO way  :pok:
Get both  :D

us Online powernoodle

Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 01:14:33 PM

An inline phillips is prolly my favoritey SAK tool, and I find a second blade redundant.  And I really like having a magnifier.  So for me, it is Yeoman all the way.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 01:28:26 PM

Oh... but wait.... no awl hook:ahhh

FTFY...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Kraken

Reply #27 on: November 27, 2020, 02:13:36 PM
We're aiming for the MTO way  :pok:
Get both  :D

McStitchy is right; you should get both. Or at least have an honest testing period for both after the mods. That way you'll be able to make a decision based on your own experiences with each toolset in actual situations. Set a specific time period for the test, maybe a couple of weeks and keep tabs on where each toolset performed well or came up short. At the end, you can slap some new scales on the one you're gifting and send it off to its new home, knowing that you made the right decision based on your needs.
Semper Fortis

Offline SirZanos

Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 03:17:00 PM
McStitchy is right; you should get both. Or at least have an honest testing period for both after the mods. That way you'll be able to make a decision based on your own experiences with each toolset in actual situations. Set a specific time period for the test, maybe a couple of weeks and keep tabs on where each toolset performed well or came up short. At the end, you can slap some new scales on the one you're gifting and send it off to its new home, knowing that you made the right decision based on your needs.
This is ultimately what I’ve been thinking from the start. I suppose this might be the best course of action, because I keep going back and forth. Everyone on here has great points about both. And I mean, I’m gonna have both on hand anyway. May as well just give them a trial period. 

As I’ve yet to do my own first mod, I have one quick question:
Is there a way to get the stock scales off and still get them back on and be useable for that amount of time? Most people I’ve read have new scales, at the ready. And the rest have trouble keeping the old scales on.
Would warming the scales prior to removal make them more likely to be re-usable? Any tips here?

You guys are the best! It will be a while before I get time to complete this project. But I’ll try and post some pics of both, once I’ve tested and re-scaled them. But I think this choice is just gonna be specific to my own lifestyle. They’re both great tools for what I’m looking for.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #29 on: November 27, 2020, 03:51:31 PM
I'll go with the Super Tinker as well.  :tu:

Yes the Yeoman is nice, as is the inline Phillips, but i have other good ways to have inline SD's with the bottle opener and the mag glass is near irrelevant to me. The thick Phillips/mag layer dosen't merit loosing the Bottle/Can openers, Small blade and Awl to me...  :dunno:
And you still have a back side 3D phillips for light torque tasks

I agree with Macgyver as usual.  The opener layer to me beats the combo tool and the mag glass just isn't useful enough day to day for me to justify it.  Between the can opener and backside phillips you can get 90% or better of the inline phillips capabilities IMO. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%