Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coming back into the fray

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Coming back into the fray
on: April 08, 2023, 07:00:30 PM
After a few years hiatus dealing with some personal issues that @Grant Lamontagne is aware of I'm going to come back to the forum and create content and discussion. I have ADHD with probably some underlying thing and even though I've had it since childhood I just kept pushing through life ignoring my own needs and putting everyone else first. I'm a people pleaser, a yes man, a doer and always felt like my value was in what I could do for someone else. I seek community and want to feel included because I don't feel I ever belong and feel like an alien on this planet most days. Multitools have been a bit of a hyperfocus for me since they're introduction to my life and I honestly became burned out and needed to take a step back. Doesn't mean I didn't like them or use them anymore but I stepped back from social media and a lot of other stuff and took a look at what makes me happy. I don't feel I'm all the way there but miss this community, we've always had a great caring set of folks here.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:34:13 PM by David Bowen »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Coming back into the fray
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 07:10:52 PM
Great to see you, Dave :woohoo:

Your impact can still be seen in many aspects of the forum even if a lot of the newer members don't know it :salute:

You were one of the great people who was here when I first joined and I always enjoyed your content, buddy :tu:

Glad you have decided to come back :woohoo: :like: :like:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 07:38:06 PM
Thanks @Poncho65 appreciate it. Glad to be back

I've always thought ADHD was just a paying attention thing and it wasn't until the last few years and a lot of research that I find out there so very much more. A lot of symptoms overlap with autism and the past bit has made me sad for younger me because I have struggled my whole life and not known why but didn't think I needed any help regarding it. Take that times 30+ years and I get to where I'm at with stuff.

Multitools have been my passion for a very long time and I've got some reviews I'm working on that I'll post on the next couple weeks. It was a little strange for me to start something like this place and walk away from it; but I guess we all have to do that from time to time.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 08:17:07 PM
Hello David, it's a pleasure to meet you.  I'm ADHD too.  You pretty much described me to a T.  I've learned a lot about it and how to deal with it, but it's definitely a journey.   I'm glad you're back!
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 08:35:07 PM
David, your reviews and some of Grant's as well from our main site early on is what really sparked my interest with certain MTs :salute: The forum itself kept that interest and fueled it :woohoo:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 11:15:23 PM
Great to have you back Dave and I'm glad that you have found some answers to the issues you have being dealing with.    :cheers:

I'm carrying a knife today that I'm pretty sure I bought from you.   :tu:

* 20230408_084840.jpg (Filesize: 349.86 KB)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 11:36:30 PM
:cheers: welcome back. Glad to hear you taking care of yourself

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 12:06:23 AM
Great to have you back Dave and I'm glad that you have found some answers to the issues you have being dealing with.    :cheers:

I'm carrying a knife today that I'm pretty sure I bought from you.   :tu:
Amazing knife, kind of miss it lol. Great stag handle and utilitarian blade. Was one of my first knives I bought back in the early 2000s. Glad your enjoying it and getting some use out of it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 11:44:08 AM
Glad to have you back Dave!  I have missed you buddy, and whether you are an alien or not, you are OUR alien and there's always a place for you here.

For those of you that don't know Dave's history, he actually pioneered the multitool review site- twice in fact, before MTO.  Unfortunately neither one worked out, buy that's because Dave was missing one important factor- community.  He was building it on his own and I can tell you that I know how much of an uphill battle that is.

My intention was to build a community around multitools, but it's a catch 22 because you need content to generate a community and you need community to generate content!

Dave and I met through the old Secret Order of Swiss Army Knives at Knifeforums.com and I mentioned to him that I had this idea for a multitool site, and he was instantly on board, giving us copies of all of the reviews he had written for his previous sites, and that gave us a lot of content from the get-go!

While I'm sure MTO would have eventually gotten off the ground on its own, Dave's contributions (both on the main site and here on the forum) really helped to shape this place in the early days.

Welcome Home Dave.  You have a beautiful family in real life, and you've got the best family on the internet here as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 01:55:35 PM
 :like: :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 04:59:22 PM
You left for a while?   ?  ?

:)

Welcome back you youngster
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 08:23:33 PM
Glad to have you back Dave!  I have missed you buddy, and whether you are an alien or not, you are OUR alien and there's always a place for you here.

For those of you that don't know Dave's history, he actually pioneered the multitool review site- twice in fact, before MTO.  Unfortunately neither one worked out, buy that's because Dave was missing one important factor- community.  He was building it on his own and I can tell you that I know how much of an uphill battle that is.

My intention was to build a community around multitools, but it's a catch 22 because you need content to generate a community and you need community to generate content!

Dave and I met through the old Secret Order of Swiss Army Knives at Knifeforums.com and I mentioned to him that I had this idea for a multitool site, and he was instantly on board, giving us copies of all of the reviews he had written for his previous sites, and that gave us a lot of content from the get-go!

While I'm sure MTO would have eventually gotten off the ground on its own, Dave's contributions (both on the main site and here on the forum) really helped to shape this place in the early days.

Welcome Home Dave.  You have a beautiful family in real life, and you've got the best family on the internet here as well.

Def
Thanks buddy, glad to have the support and to call you a friend. We really do have an amazing community here and that's what makes this place special.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 10:22:24 AM
Hey David, glad to see you back here  :hatsoff:

But most importantly that you took some time for yourself to find your bearings. A thing that I feel I never have the time to.

I believe I've got this one from you  :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 01:16:45 PM
Welcome back! You know MTo is just like Hotel California. You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave.

:cheers: :hatsoff:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 01:30:40 PM
Welcome back sir!  :cheers:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 11:46:02 PM
Welcome back David. I am happy to see you are doing better.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69