Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weight-loss Challenge 13721

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,139
Re: Weight-loss Challenge
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2020, 03:36:50 AM »
I actually designated weekend(either Sat or Sun) as cheat day, which usually I go visit family and eating loads is unavoidable.  You can't lose weight overnight, but can't gain it all over one meal neither.   It does help ease the carving, and have something I work/look toward to.

Join Daredevil Challenge in August and get Free magnets!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,509 Born to multitask.
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2020, 03:54:54 AM »
Day two and I already folded.
I was watching the simpsons and homer had a pizza.
After that I could not get pizza out of my mind so ended up ordering one. I did only eat half though. And froze the rest in separate slices. :facepalm:

That was me a few months ago. I saw someone having pizza, or KFC or something, and I took it as a sign that I should have some.
It takes lots of discipline to keep eating healthy.
I just realized your forum name is chip. :facepalm: I'd be looking for chips now (both fries and crisps, to please everyone).
Do we have a member called quinoa? :pok:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,743
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2020, 04:01:10 AM »
Okay, I have joined in the fun, but not as a Challenge participant.  Just a non-Challenge participant and I hope encourager.  For a long time now, I have been wanting/needing to do some serious intermittent fasting, and now is the time.  For me, intermittent fasting ("IF") seems to be the most sensible long-term approach for not only weight management, but promoting a myriad of health benefits (autophagy, avoiding metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes, increased human growth factor, insulin sensitivity, etc.).

A friend of ours is doing IF and combines that with HIIT workouts. The guy is 52 and ripped beyond compare. I tried it once and lasted only a few weeks. I might have to adjust it and give it another shot.

Great work so far folks, seeing lots of healthy stuff  :tu:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,815
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2020, 04:13:46 AM »
If you guys like rice but want something a little healthier try Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah.)

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-benefits-of-quinoa

I like quinoa a lot.  Spelt is also good too but harder to find.  In our house, we never buy white pasta.  We try to get quinoa, spelt or if not available whole grain pasta.
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2020, 04:23:42 AM »
Day 2

Despite having a busy day getting side tracked with various things.
In addition to walking the dog, I did 10 minutes on the rower and a quick isometric exercise routine.  My goal is to do isometric and cardio daily.

For food, I had a yogurt for breakfast, raw veggies for lunch, and an orange and nutrition bar as snack.

I didn’t eat all of this.  It is prepared and in the refrigerator so it is always available.
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2020, 06:24:17 AM »
Day 3

I started the day with a smile. :)

And took a 1.5h walk. Lots of parrots.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:45:03 AM by ReamerPunch »

Hero Member Posts: 902 Brick Bradford of multitool universe
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2020, 06:40:44 AM »
Day 3 - morning weight 105
The truth comes out

06:35 Morning workout breakfast; home office workday:

Coffee with a dash of milk for caffeine
Rye, salami, cheese sandwitch
Dark chocolate
Jaffa bisquits
750 ml mix of recovery drink

After  that I’ll mix an another one and start sipping it on my way to the gym

7:10. The naked truth:

This is as prior warmup, deflated, with 2 litres of fluids + breakfast solids not yet in system but in stomach, relaxed, without any kind of posing or flexing.

I took and posted this - for 1st time actually - to mark starting point of my secondary goal of this challenge - somewhat harder outlook. I’ll be taking 2nd one at end and post it. Judging of results should be easy with some help from all of you.

My primary goal still remains - to get current bench and deadlift numbers up 2 - 3 % points from current.

And after the posing was over it was time to do some work:
Some farmers walk, face pulls and pulldowns. Bench up to close to 1RM with 3 - 5 above 90% of eventual session 1RM. Total session time appr. 80 min.

by this axe I rule
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,103 \o/
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »
Day 3

102.9kg - 226.9lbs

Vanilla shake for breakfast. Will go for a walk later today :)

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.
No Life Club Posts: 2,985
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
Good work all, can’t beat cockies and galahs RP, always put a smile on my face

Went into town today and it really shows the difference between working from home and going in. 8.2km walked today vs an average of 1.7km (although didn’t usually take the phone when dog walking until this challenge so would be higher than that)

« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
Day 3

My town is undergoing the 4h wave of covid so to speak, even though we never have to experience a full lockdown, I am staying pretty much indoor most 95% of the time unless it is absolutely necessary for the supply run.  Seeing all these outside walks are pretty inspirational and looks fun, hopefully things would quiet down within next few weeks so it is safer to venture out soon for some outdoor exercise much needed.

Great noodle

To make up for the lack of nutrients, I did eat an extra egg custard for lunch.

Made a quick ramen noodle for lunch today, I highly recommend this brand from Singapore which the flavor is pretty strong and it's made of whole wheat.  But the noodles didn't last me long so I was a little more hungry than usual by dinner, and though I cut out all carbs, still over eat a little on seafood and veggie.  Gonna put a cap on the overcompensation.

Aching all over from the lack of exercise, but the day isn't over yet, so I gonna try to catch up before going to bed.

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,126 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »
Ditto.  My son lead me down the dark path  :facepalm:  I did my workout routine afterwards, so I kept my weight steady.

Day two and I already folded.
I was watching the simpsons and homer had a pizza.
After that I could not get pizza out of my mind so ended up ordering one. I did only eat half though. And froze the rest in separate slices. :facepalm:

Barry
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,285
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2020, 04:10:15 PM »
 :like: Just checking in to say  :woohoo:  Keep the focus and be forgiving if you slip up or slack off.  Restart immediately and regain your focus.  YOU CAN DO IT.   

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 3,912
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
In the past 3 days, I've tried 3 different flavors of intermittent fasting:  OMAD, 20:4 and today 16:8.  Any of those are acceptable, but one has to find the right variant that works the best for the individual:  the more aggressive approach that works the fastest (OMAD) or the one most likely to foster compliance (16/8).  My plan may be to shoot for OMAD, with the fallback of 20:4 if I am just losing my mind and have to eat.  People who do IF for a while say that your hunger diminishes in concert with consistently moderated blood sugar, which makes IF easier to stick with over time.  So we will see.  Its also worth remembering that if you crash and burn today, you can get back on the horse tomorrow.  This is especially true with IF, which does not have to be done the same every day.

Stay strong, peoples.   :salute: :salute: :salute:

« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2020, 06:30:43 PM »
^
Am I missing the boat if it seems to me that OMAD is sort of an evolution of warrior diet that got some popularity in crossfit and fitness circles few years back?

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »
seems to me that OMAD is sort of an evolution of warrior diet that got some popularity in crossfit and fitness circles few years back?

Yes sir, they are more or less the same thing.  Ori Hofmekler popularized the warrior diet, which is basically the same as 20:4 fasting.  His underlying thesis was a warrior mentality, which is not found in what people now call 20:4 fasting.

I have found that if one keeps the face busy, it is easier to keep the fasting period alive.  This AHA sparkling water is made by the Coca Cola company, with zero calories, citrus and green tea flavor (not sweet), electrolytes and 40 mg of caffeine.  Something like this may be a good distraction when choosing between continuing the fast, or diving head first into a pizza.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:07:57 PM by powernoodle »

« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2020, 07:06:07 PM »
In the past 3 days, I've tried 3 different flavors of intermittent fasting:  OMAD, 20:4 and today 16:8.  Any of those are acceptable, but one has to find the right variant that works the best for the individual:  the more aggressive approach that works the fastest (OMAD) or the one most likely to foster compliance (16/8).  My plan may be to shoot for OMAD, with the fallback of 20:4 if I am just losing my mind and have to eat.  People who do IF for a while say that your hunger diminishes in concert with consistently moderated blood sugar, which makes IF easier to stick with over time.  So we will see.  Its also worth remembering that if you crash and burn today, you can get back on the horse tomorrow.  This is especially true with IF, which does not have to be done the same every day.

Stay strong, peoples.   :salute: :salute: :salute:
I think it is a pretty huge jump from a 3 meals a day plan to one-meal-a-day(OMAD) is a pretty tough one. 

I remembered trying that long, long time ago for a month or two, when I was so utterly busy that I have no time to sleep, let alone to eat.  I did remember how much the stomach ache(possibly too much acid?) and no amount of water could ease that pain, so eventually I stop and try to force myself to eat regardless how bad is the schedule.

For anyone trying any sort of fasting or Intermittent fasting(IF), I think folks need to be observant and sensitive to their body reaction and the main driving principle is to do no harm.  I am so used to skipping breakfast for so many years that it is not difficult for me to subscribe to a 2 meals a day 'diet', where I just alter what I eat(eat less, eat healthier).  But I could see switching to 3 meals + snacks to 2 meals or even OMAD will be a huge change.

« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
^
Yup. I can see the thinking behind IF, but still left wondering if splitting the same amount of calories more evenly would not make it easier, and perhaps as efficient...

In any case, IF or warrior diet type of diets have also been used in running circles since the early seventies (at least). To drop weight and facilitate bodies capability of burning fat for energy (a key element for success) it was often recommended to combine an afternoon/evening heavy training or lsd session with a morning run without meals in between. Because running with full stomach is pretty impossible this would often make 12 - 16 hour meal gaps.

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2020, 08:07:12 PM »
For anyone trying any sort of fasting or Intermittent fasting(IF), I think folks need to be observant and sensitive to their body reaction and the main driving principle is to do no harm. 

I wholly agree.  But consider that 3 meals a day is a modern invention, and even more so is the pattern of breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-snack-snack.  That is a social construct and not a biological imperative.  Our progenitors ate when they could find food, which may have been an antelope today and nothing for 3 more days.  And the good Lord gave us body fat for exactly that reason - to sustain us while we were trying to catch the next meal.  That is how we are designed - for short bursts of eating interspersed between long periods of not eating.  Even up to the 1970's, before the modern surge in obesity, we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner with basically no snacks.  Think Beaver Cleaver.  This was in essence 14:10 fasting.  Its only with the advent of all day grazing that our insulin has remained high and we all have gotten porky.

But yes, you are right on about monitoring your own approach and not overdoing it.  If one feels sick, light headed or headachy, and some bone broth or minerals/electrolytes don't resolve the problem, then eating and re-evaluation are in order.

No Life Club Posts: 1,248
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2020, 12:43:31 AM »
Today I did not get out for a walk as waiting in all day for parcels. I also have parcels due tomorrow and monday which gives me the weekend to try and burn some calories off. Today I had soup for lunch and dinner, nothing fancy just out of a can.

I lost two and a half stone earlier in the year by having one meal a day and walking for an hour or two every day.
I found the first couple of days hard going from eating for fun to being constantly hungry, but after that it was ok.  As of tomorrow I am back to one meal a day.

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2020, 04:14:05 AM »
Day 3
Today didn’t goes as planned, so other than an hour dog walk, no exercise, but these is still some time left.

I am doing a good at cutting out sweets and snacking.  Although, my lunch/snack today was not the healthiest (pretzels with cheese spread and a pear), it was not even a full serving of each and today’s calories count is less than 1200.
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2020, 04:41:30 AM »
Day 4

We had a virtual (via zoom) staff party last night so had a few drinks, which gave me the munchies a bit last night so definitely had more than I should’ve but for dinner at least had loads of veggies and brown rice with tuna like day 2. I had walked 8.3km so maybe that contributed to the munchies :dunno:

Better so far today, just one slice of bread sandwich for lunch rather than normal 2, with chicken and salad. Breakfast was slice of bread, avocado and boiled egg.
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2020, 06:03:36 AM »
The secret to Rebel Wilson’s weight loss on top of diet was walking a lot more apparently …I’ve certainly noticed the difference since working from home as per yesterday’s post

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2020/12/the-low-intensity-exercise-that-could-change-your-life/
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2020, 09:42:11 AM »
Day 4

97.3kg - 214.5lbs :like:
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
Day 4

97.3kg - 214.5lbs :like:
(Image removed from quote.)
Great work RP, what’s that 3 or 4kg in a week :salute:
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
Great work RP, what’s that 3 or 4kg in a week :salute:

Not really, but not too bad either.

November 21
101.9kg - 224.65lbs

November 24
100.6kg - 221.78lbs

December 1
98.65kg - 217.5lbs

December 4
97.3kg - 214.5lbs
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
I wholly agree.  But consider that 3 meals a day is a modern invention, and even more so is the pattern of breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-snack-snack.  That is a social construct and not a biological imperative.  Our progenitors ate when they could find food, which may have been an antelope today and nothing for 3 more days.  And the good Lord gave us body fat for exactly that reason - to sustain us while we were trying to catch the next meal.  That is how we are designed - for short bursts of eating interspersed between long periods of not eating.  Even up to the 1970's, before the modern surge in obesity, we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner with basically no snacks.  Think Beaver Cleaver.  This was in essence 14:10 fasting.  Its only with the advent of all day grazing that our insulin has remained high and we all have gotten porky.

But yes, you are right on about monitoring your own approach and not overdoing it.  If one feels sick, light headed or headachy, and some bone broth or minerals/electrolytes don't resolve the problem, then eating and re-evaluation are in order.

:iagree: :cheers:  I grew up in a household with zero snacks, old man got fed up with kids in the house keeping eating snacks/candies/chocolate between meals, so one day he just threw away everything and restrict everyone only eat 3 meals a day.  In retrospect, that move probably save us from growing up on junk food as youngster, and you won't miss what you don't have.

Day 3
Today didn’t goes as planned, so other than an hour dog walk, no exercise, but these is still some time left.

I am doing a good at cutting out sweets and snacking.  Although, my lunch/snack today was not the healthiest (pretzels with cheese spread and a pear), it was not even a full serving of each and today’s calories count is less than 1200.
(Image removed from quote.)
If you are eating less than 1200 calories and if you think you may be burning more than that, I think that's already a pretty good day!

What I think most important is the mindset that we are all trying to change some of our habits, and moving to a new, healthy norm of eating and lifestyle.  Some day we may gain a little calories, some day we loss calories, but so as long the overall is the right direction we plan to take, I think it's all good!

« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2020, 10:13:01 AM »

November 21
101.9kg - 224.65lbs

November 24
100.6kg - 221.78lbs

December 1
98.65kg - 217.5lbs

December 4
97.3kg - 214.5lbs

I was just gonna suggest to post history of weights, and you are already doing it!(it's probably easier for everyone else to see the progress) :cheers:

This is great progress, I'm proud of you!  Great job! :woohoo:

Mine are:
83.6kg   30 Nov
83.0kg   3 Dec (ate too much last night, probably around 82.8kg)

« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2020, 10:16:38 AM »

November 21
101.9kg - 224.65lbs

November 24
100.6kg - 221.78lbs

December 1
98.65kg - 217.5lbs

December 4
97.3kg - 214.5lbs
About 2kg a week, that’s awlsome still mate, what’s more not overdoing it, keep it up like this and you should get to your target pretty quickly. Judging by those salads you’re properly committed and showing incredible willpower, inspiring :cheers:
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »
I was just gonna suggest to post history of weights, and you are already doing it!(it's probably easier for everyone else to see the progress)

This is great progress, I'm proud of you!  Great job!

Thanks! :D
So, if I can keep losing about 1.3kg every three days, that's around 13 kilos in a month.  :ahhh That's much more than I was expecting, because for the two months I've been losing weight, I had not been tracking my weight.

True, it makes it very easy for others to see each other's progress. I'll keep posting it like this. :cheers:
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2020, 10:27:14 AM »
About 2kg a week, that’s awlsome still mate, what’s more not overdoing it, keep it up like this and you should get to your target pretty quickly. Judging by those salads you’re properly committed and showing incredible willpower, inspiring :cheers:

Thanks! :cheers:
It took two months for 15 or so kilos, but for December, I am used to being a little hungry until I eat. This challenge also helps keep me motivated. Massive thanks to participants and followers of the challenge.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $93.19
PayPal Fees: $5.57
Net Balance: $87.62
Below Goal: $212.38
Site Currency: USD
29%