Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weight-loss Challenge

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Re: Weight-loss Challenge
Reply #90 on: December 02, 2020, 12:35:43 AM
Good start everyone.
I had a nice healthy dinner of brown rice with veg and a tiny bit of lamb cooked on my foreman grill.

I will be having brown rice nearly everyday with plenty of veg and a little meat as I love rice.
Did not get out for much of a walk due to waiting for parcels. More parcels coming tomorrow so may have to get up early or wait for a late evening walk.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

au Online Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: December 02, 2020, 01:27:19 AM
Day 2
Groceries for the week delivered- not all as healthy as this but far less snacks

Offline electro

Reply #92 on: December 02, 2020, 04:25:40 AM
Day 2
It hurts a lot after next day of gym
It will be like this for a week, not going to let it hold me back :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: December 02, 2020, 05:42:09 AM
Day 01

Good job so far guys! I keep unusual hours so it's still pretty early on for me, so far just one meal: Noodles (438 kcal), making an effort to not sit on my backside for too long and will be on my feet for a while later when I make more jerky and try making fudge for the first time. Calorie restriction (2500) going okay so far  :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)
That's my secret weapon for aggressive weight loss when I want my daily total around 1500-2000, but I find it not very sustainable in a longer run(for me) since it does get dull and not very nutritious.  But it does work like a charm if I want my total daily calories under 2000.

Day 1

So far today (about 5 hours up), I’ve had a protein shake for breakfast and half a nutrition bar for a snack.  I also did a 45minute walk with the dog.

I had a bad habit of not eating anything until 4+ hours after getting up, so I’ve gotten in the habit of at least have a protein shake within a couple hours of waking.

Breakfast
Same here, I don't have the habit of eating anything until lunch.  But I think I am sticking to my usual meal plans, but just alter the content to be more weight conscious. 

For myself, unless I feel the need to really aggressive weight loss, which may require more dramatic change, making some minor change is easier to follow and sustainable in a very long run.  What I really do hope to achieve has always been something easy to do and balance.

Good start everyone.
I had a nice healthy dinner of brown rice with veg and a tiny bit of lamb cooked on my foreman grill.

I will be having brown rice nearly everyday with plenty of veg and a little meat as I love rice.
Did not get out for much of a walk due to waiting for parcels. More parcels coming tomorrow so may have to get up early or wait for a late evening walk.
Sucker for carbs here too!  I find as I age, that's one food group I need to watch out for.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:51:08 AM by comis »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: December 02, 2020, 05:54:42 AM
Since we are all here, I figure in one way or another we are all probably also want to live a longer and healthy life. 

Here is a great video I found couple months back, from one of my favorite science channel.  The research is backed by science, and do give very concrete ideas on how to age slowly and gracefully.  The quality of life is just as important as life span itself, no one wants to live many sick years towards the end.  And this video unlock some of the 'secrets' to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRt7LjqJ45k&ab_channel=Veritasium

I think overall quality of the video is pretty high, and don't mind sitting thru it, but in case you want less 'science', please fast forward to 10:25 and watch for 5 min.

TL;DR   There are 6 tips given, if you don't want to bother with any science whatsoever, fast forward to 14min 26sec
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:21:15 AM by comis »

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #95 on: December 02, 2020, 08:11:57 AM
Day 2 - morning weight 105
Standard no-morning workout; home office workday breakfast:

Protein drink - 0,750 ml of water and 3 scoops of recovery formula (protein, kreatine and fast carbs) to provide fast energy and some protection to muscle mass

Large cup of strong green tea for imflammation control

Some dark chocolate for cortisol control

Ryebread with cheese and salami for energy

Jaffa bisquits for fast sugars, normally any value between 3-5 depending on feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

au Online Echotech

Reply #96 on: December 02, 2020, 08:19:54 AM
Since we are all here, I figure in one way or another we are all probably also want to live a longer and healthy life. 

Here is a great video I found couple months back, from one of my favorite science channel.  The research is backed by science, and do give very concrete ideas on how to age slowly and gracefully.  The quality of life is just as important as life span itself, no one wants to live many sick years towards the end.  And this video unlock some of the 'secrets' to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRt7LjqJ45k&ab_channel=Veritasium

I think overall quality of the video is pretty high, and don't mind sitting thru it, but in case you want less 'science', please fast forward to 10:25 and watch for 5 min.

TL;DR   There are 6 tips given, if you don't want to bother with any science whatsoever, fast forward to 14min 26sec
:tu: comis very interesting tbh mostly just watched the tips but will watch the rest later. I was aware of eat less, HITT and be uncomfortably cold, in fact deliberately only sleep under a cotton blanket most of the year (and Sydney does get colder than you might think in winter!). But definitely didn’t know about uncomfortably hot (like last weekend) so will definitely watch the rest to understand why. Great share :cheers:

au Online Echotech

Reply #97 on: December 02, 2020, 08:24:46 AM
Good start everyone.

:iagree: great start challengers, good work everyone

I like rice a lot too but also went for brown rice tonight, (which is a first!), with loads of veggies and tuna, really delicious

Steamed some beans, broccoli and snow peas, plus red capsicum, red onion, tomato and rocket all mixed into the rice and tuna. Feeling quite full so hopefully will resist too much snacking tonight

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #98 on: December 02, 2020, 09:20:53 AM
Day 2

This was breakfast.

And now dinner.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #99 on: December 02, 2020, 10:59:03 AM
^
Looks tasty! How are your macros? Not much of protein in those two meals. Each to his/hers own but I think even science is backing up the view that sufficient protein is needed for healthy diet.

The exact definition of 'sufficient' on the other hand is a can of worms ranging from 0,8 up to 3 grams per kilo depending on goal/age/sport/source etc.
by this axe I rule

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #100 on: December 02, 2020, 11:18:41 AM
Found an unopened can of protein shake powder. Breakfast sorted :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #101 on: December 02, 2020, 11:27:47 AM
^
Looks tasty! How are your macros? Not much of protein in those two meals. Each to his/hers own but I think even science is backing up the view that sufficient protein is needed for healthy diet.

The exact definition of 'sufficient' on the other hand is a can of worms ranging from 0,8 up to 3 grams per kilo depending on goal/age/sport/source etc.

I'll have pistachios and meat in the following days, but I am not counting macros, or calories for that matter.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: December 02, 2020, 01:34:40 PM
Day 2

Just some clear soup with winter melon and meat balls, corn and little bit of rib.  Eating with family could be tough since everyone could be on a different 'schedule'.  Gonna be selective on what I eat otherwise all exercise effort could be wasted.

Follow similar workout routine like yesterday, added in some modified Burpee with push-up and back extension to raise the heart beat(very effective).  Local weather is still quite warm considering it's supposed to be winter, may need to find tons of ice cube maker for the daily ice bucket 'challenge'.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: December 02, 2020, 02:02:52 PM
If you guys like rice but want something a little healthier try Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah.)

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-benefits-of-quinoa

au Online Echotech

Reply #104 on: December 02, 2020, 02:39:51 PM
If you guys like rice but want something a little healthier try Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah.)

Very popular in Sydney Steve but only tried it a couple of times, should try it again wasn’t really taken with it but I know it’s very healthy …maybe that’s why haha :think:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: December 02, 2020, 03:30:59 PM

Good one, I was going to say that.  It's the 'new' superfood, chewy so I usually end up eating less.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #106 on: December 02, 2020, 03:31:54 PM
Okay, I have joined in the fun, but not as a Challenge participant.  Just a non-Challenge participant and I hope encourager.  For a long time now, I have been wanting/needing to do some serious intermittent fasting, and now is the time.  For me, intermittent fasting ("IF") seems to be the most sensible long-term approach for not only weight management, but promoting a myriad of health benefits (autophagy, avoiding metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes, increased human growth factor, insulin sensitivity, etc.).

But it only works if I actually do it.

When I married Mrs. Powernoodle 28 years ago, I was a skinny 155 lbs (70 kg).  I started out Day 1 morning (yesterday) at 216 lbs (98 kg), having already lost 22 lbs since March 2020 by mostly eliminating Coke and night time eating.  My goal weight is probably 170 lbs., but that's a long way away.

There are various iterations of IF, and I will be attempting One Meal A Day ("OMAD"), which is one of the more aggressive approaches.  A fallback approach (if I just have to eat) is 20:4 fasting, or eating a meal at lets say 2pm and another at 6pm with no snacks in between.  Mrs. Powernoodle and I know a man in his 60's who has been doing OMAD successfully for a couple of years.  There are also a number of folks on Youtube who integrate OMAD or 20:4 on an ongoing basis.

Advocates of IF include Dr. Jason Fung, who is a kidney doc.  Kidney disease is mostly precipitated by diabetes, so Dr. Fung's approach to diabetes is what led him to using IF for his kidney patients.  He makes a very strong argument, which I believe the science supports, that high insulin makes us fat and low insulin makes us burn fat.  Insulin is the switch that tells the body to store fat (when insulin is high) or burn it (when insulin is low).  In this paradigm, calories don't matter.  Consider that a Type 1 diabetic, whose body cannot make insulin, cannot gain weight no matter how much he eats.  Conversely, individuals with higher insulin like pre-diabetics and diabetics, have extreme difficulty in losing weight no matter how little they eat.  Dr. Fung and others have noted that calorie counting has a long-term failure rate of almost 100%.  Anyone who has counted calories in the past can attest to this.  Reduced caloric intake slows the metabolism, which requires even fewer calories.  Its an unsustainable cycle.  And because there is no payoff (in the form of sustained weight loss), the person abandons calorie counting and thinks of himself as a failure.  But he was doomed from the outset.

So, the key (in the IF approach) is to reduce insulin.  You do this with either a ketogenic diet (very low carbs, high in fat, moderate protein), or by IF, or both.  Since the body produces insulin in response to eating, especially when eating carbs, IF is the most effective means of reducing insulin.

For giggles, Google "lipohypertrophy" and look at the images.  Lipohypertrophy is localized fat growth at the site of insulin injections.  It makes a pretty compelling argument that insulin promotes fat.  In a sense, your whole body experiences lipohypertrophy when you have high insulin from eating every few hours.

Yesterday (Day 1), I consumed zero calories between waking and 5:15 pm.  I made it through the day with surprisingly little difficulty, really, and drank black tea, peppermint tea and water.  For din din I prepared a Hello Fresh (meal delivery) meal, which we have at the Powernoodle Compound twice a week.  Also consumed a yogurt, a banana and some mixed nuts.  After dinner, I was fully satiated and did not eat anything else before bed.  So repeating this eating pattern on Day 2 will result in about 23 hours of fasting and one hour of eating.  One nice thing about OMAD is that when you do eat, you can really eat and get really full.  With calorie counting or Weight Watchers (both of which I have done without long term success), I was never "full".  But with OMAD, you know during the day that you will get to pig out at dinner.  There is a payoff for the hours of fasting. 

Day 1's Hello Fresh meal. 

This morning on Day 2, I had lost 3 lbs.  I fully well know that almost all of that is water loss, because low insulin stops water retention.  My insulin had to be pretty low yesterday, as I had not eaten for about 23 hours.  So the "weight" loss for the first few days may be substantial, but its mostly water.

Remember, I am just some fat guy on the internet who is doing what makes the most sense for me.  I'm not trying to convince anyone.  I'll report back in from time to time.  I appreciate everyone's candor, and those who have been willing to reveal their weight.  A big Thumbs Up on that.  Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCRjwDs1Ek&list=WL&index=28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZK_MUPxrc&list=WL&index=41

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: December 02, 2020, 03:45:37 PM
Okay, I have joined in the fun, but not as a Challenge participant.  Just a non-Challenge participant and I hope encourager.  For a long time now, I have been wanting/needing to do some serious intermittent fasting, and now is the time.  For me, intermittent fasting ("IF") seems to be the most sensible long-term approach for not only weight management, but promoting a myriad of health benefits (autophagy, avoiding metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes, increased human growth factor, insulin sensitivity, etc.).

But it only works if I actually do it.

When I married Mrs. Powernoodle 28 years ago, I was a skinny 155 lbs (70 kg).  I started out Day 1 morning (yesterday) at 216 lbs (98 kg), having already lost 22 lbs since March 2020 by mostly eliminating Coke and night time eating.  My goal weight is probably 170 lbs., but that's a long way away.

There are various iterations of IF, and I will be attempting One Meal A Day ("OMAD"), which is one of the more aggressive approaches.  A fallback approach (if I just have to eat) is 20:4 fasting, or eating a meal at lets say 2pm and another at 6pm with no snacks in between.  Mrs. Powernoodle and I know a man in his 60's who has been doing OMAD successfully for a couple of years.  There are also a number of folks on Youtube who integrate OMAD or 20:4 on an ongoing basis.

Advocates of IF include Dr. Jason Fung, who is a kidney doc.  Kidney disease is mostly precipitated by diabetes, so Dr. Fung's approach to diabetes is what led him to using IF for his kidney patients.  He makes a very strong argument, which I believe the science supports, that high insulin makes us fat and low insulin makes us burn fat.  Insulin is the switch that tells the body to store fat (when insulin is high) or burn it (when insulin is low).  In this paradigm, calories don't matter.  Consider that a Type 1 diabetic, whose body cannot make insulin, cannot gain weight no matter how much he eats.  Conversely, individuals with higher insulin like pre-diabetics and diabetics, have extreme difficulty in losing weight no matter how little they eat.  Dr. Fung and others have noted that calorie counting has a long-term failure rate of almost 100%.  Anyone who has counted calories in the past can attest to this.  Reduced caloric intake slows the metabolism, which requires even fewer calories.  Its an unsustainable cycle.  And because there is no payoff (in the form of sustained weight loss), the person abandons calorie counting and thinks of himself as a failure.  But he was doomed from the outset.

So, the key (in the IF approach) is to reduce insulin.  You do this with either a ketogenic diet (very low carbs, high in fat, moderate protein), or by IF, or both.  Since the body produces insulin in response to eating, especially when eating carbs, IF is the most effective means of reducing insulin.

For giggles, Google "lipohypertrophy" and look at the images.  Lipohypertrophy is localized fat growth at the site of insulin injections.  It makes a pretty compelling argument that insulin promotes fat.  In a sense, your whole body experiences lipohypertrophy when you have high insulin from eating every few hours.

Yesterday (Day 1), I consumed zero calories between waking and 5:15 pm.  I made it through the day with surprisingly little difficulty, really, and drank black tea, peppermint tea and water.  For din din I prepared a Hello Fresh (meal delivery) meal, which we have at the Powernoodle Compound twice a week.  Also consumed a yogurt, a banana and some mixed nuts.  After dinner, I was fully satiated and did not eat anything else before bed.  So repeating this eating pattern on Day 2 will result in about 23 hours of fasting and one hour of eating.  One nice thing about OMAD is that when you do eat, you can really eat and get really full.  With calorie counting or Weight Watchers (both of which I have done without long term success), I was never "full".  But with OMAD, you know during the day that you will get to pig out at dinner.  There is a payoff for the hours of fasting. 

Day 1's Hello Fresh meal. 

This morning on Day 2, I had lost 3 lbs.  I fully well know that almost all of that is water loss, because low insulin stops water retention.  My insulin had to be pretty low yesterday, as I had not eaten for about 23 hours.  So the "weight" loss for the first few days may be substantial, but its mostly water.

Remember, I am just some fat guy on the internet who is doing what makes the most sense for me.  I'm not trying to convince anyone.  I'll report back in from time to time.  I appreciate everyone's candor, and those who have been willing to reveal their weight.  A big Thumbs Up on that.  Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCRjwDs1Ek&list=WL&index=28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZK_MUPxrc&list=WL&index=41

Very good pointer, I too can attest to the effect of IF and sugar restriction. 

By limiting sugar in my diet, I too did lose more weight quicker than just plain restricting calories(at least for past few weeks).  I am planning to continue to keep up with a strict IF (with no food, but water) once a week to get the more benefit of longer insulin deficit.  Also, by skipping breakfast, I am doing a small scale IF every night from 1900-1200(17 hours).

But I must admit, it may not for everyone.  Those who need the energy may modify this to suit their daily life better.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #108 on: December 02, 2020, 03:47:04 PM
try Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah.)

At the Powernoodle Compound, we jokingly pronounce it by its phonetic spelling "qwee Noah".  And we have said it so much that way, that it now sounds like the right name to us.  Quinoa is a "complete protein", and quite yummy.

My favorite version is coconut quinoa with turmeric and raisins:

- combine 1.5 cup quinoa, 1x 13.5 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk and 1.5 cup of water in a medium pan.
- bring to boil, reduce and cover, simmer until liquid is gone.  Be careful as it can scorch if you don't watch closely.
- sprinkle with turmeric to taste, and throw in some raisins for sweetness

In place of tumeric, try the Indian spice blend garam masala.  That stuff is incredible.  :drool:

I usually double the recipe so it will last a couple of days.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: December 02, 2020, 04:03:43 PM
I prepare it with some chicken or beef bouillon depending on what I'm serving it with.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #110 on: December 02, 2020, 04:09:37 PM
I'll try that Steve!  I am a big fan of rice. 

Day 2: I did 20 minutes on the elliptical machine at work, but haven't lost anything yet weight wise.  I had a fruit snacks bar for breakfast.  Probably not going to get any lunch today.
Barry

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #111 on: December 02, 2020, 04:29:14 PM
I'll add that I've found it to taste better if you rinse it before you cook it.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: December 02, 2020, 04:44:11 PM
I'll add that I've found it to taste better if you rinse it before you cook it.

Haven't thought about that, and I had been cutting out everything carb lately, so this is a great alternative should I ever have some craving.  Thank you! :cheers:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #113 on: December 02, 2020, 10:31:10 PM
Made some semi-Mexican dinner with beans and tomatos. My daughter turned her pasta and corn salad (?) into cute little trees.
It was too spicy for the kids.
Me and my wife had quinoa instead of pasta. As discussed above :)

Went to the post office this evening to drop off something for an MTo member. Made it into a nice bicycle trip.
pastalettucetrees.jpg
* pastalettucetrees.jpg (Filesize: 156.22 KB)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: December 03, 2020, 01:35:06 AM
On the topic of pasta, I have went to wheat noodles when I do eat pasta and they are much less carby than regular ones :cheers:

I also eat Greek yogurt (Greek Gods brand is my absolute favorite  :drool: ) and add Stevia to sweeten it to taste  :salute: I usually add blueberries or raspberries in it as well, it is almost like a tasty dessert that I eat nearly everyday now :tu:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: December 03, 2020, 01:47:00 AM
Day two and I already folded.
I was watching the simpsons and homer had a pizza.
After that I could not get pizza out of my mind so ended up ordering one. I did only eat half though. And froze the rest in separate slices. :facepalm:
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: December 03, 2020, 01:50:01 AM
No more Simpsons for you Chip   :pok:   

:D

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: December 03, 2020, 01:52:51 AM
Who knew cartoon pizza could look so tasty.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: December 03, 2020, 02:04:36 AM
Day 02

Keep it up everyone, you're all doing great  :tu:

Went for a walk to the post office today, noodle brunch, potato wedges dinner and a supper of tomato and basil mugshot pasta, the packet says 223 kcal (and that's what I record) but I don't drink the soup when the pasta is gone  :dunno:

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: December 03, 2020, 03:31:20 AM
Adhering to two meals a day(lunch and dinner) may not be always easy, on most days I don't feel altogether too hungry in the morning.  But I was working really late hours til 3am and need to wake at 6 again for the little guy, and I was hungry.   Lucky the morning coffee saves me.

Dr. Berg's plan to eat at 1pm and 5pm is truly a pretty good one, I have no problem at 1pm, but early dinner at 5pm probably means getting hungrier faster...unless I sleep way earlier.  Dramatic habit change gonna take sometime.

Who knew cartoon pizza could look so tasty.

:rofl: :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD