Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommendations to pair up with a Rebar, or Skeletool?

Offline vick818

Recommendations to pair up with a Rebar, or Skeletool?
on: November 12, 2020, 04:23:22 PM
Hello everyone! New member here. Wondering what type of SAK you guys would recommended with the above mentioned tools.

nl Offline nitram

Re: Recommendations to pair up with a Rebar, or Skeletool?
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 07:01:47 PM
Hi, and welcome!  :)

This is really up to personal preference. Do you want a lot of overlapping functions, or maybe a light carry? Or do you want to try to be prepared for all eventualities?

When I combine tools I think about what to expect out of my day and which tools I might need for that. For example; I don’t have much need for a saw when I’m in a datacenter but I do use screwdrivers. When going into the woods a saw is a tool I like to have.

Generally speaking with a Rebar I would probably carry a Compact or Climber for the scissors and eyeglass screwdriver.

The Skeletool really depends on the kind of day, I would also take at least a Classic for the scissors, toothpick and tweezers. A Master Craftsman pairs up for a very complete package, you get scissors, a file, a saw and all the usual Victorinox tools.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:17:40 PM
Vick, you can reverse-engineer this kind of thing.  Maybe make a list of the tools you really want, and then go to Sak Wiki or smartknives.com and determine what SAK fits those needs.  For me, Victorinox scissors and an inline-phillips driver are a must.  But I also appreciate the magnifier, pen, pin, etc., so I like the Explorer Plus.  But it has a lot of redundancy with the Rebar, etc., but I'm okay with some redundancy.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 08:06:55 PM
Ranger / Master Craftsman  is good tool to pair with  Skeletool. With Rebar i would go with Pioneer X.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 09:25:43 PM
Pioneer X with the Rebar  or Farmer X with the Skeletool.     

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:31:26 PM
All of the above suggestions are great. For me since I carry the same LMs I always pair them with Rambler because of the scissors and tweezers. For the tool overlap honestly the 58 mm SAKs is so accessible I end up using those tools rather than the LM. Which helps keep the LM blade sharp and clean (for food) and avoid scaring people when I take a tool out.

So the LM becomes either my back up or if I need something heavy duty.

I carry a Olight and Gerber shard too in case you want more choices.

If you frequently find yourself in a situation where you need 2 pliers (the other to hold a nut / bolt steady) you probably want to pair your LM with a SAK based pliers.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
...If you frequently find yourself in a situation where you need 2 pliers (the other to hold a nut / bolt steady) you probably want to pair your LM with a SAK based pliers.
I second that suggestion. And the SAK pliers are quite versatile as 'super tweezers'.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 01:49:06 AM
I pair most everything with a Vic Executive  :salute: Great sized main blade, a good small blade, some very nice sized scissors, a really great small file, the lovely orange peeler, toothpick and tweezers :cheers:

Of course all the above suggestions are all tried and true as well ;) :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 01:53:27 AM
You could also think about modding your own SAK :cheers: not near as hard as it sounds ;) I made a Master Ranger (pretty much a Champion without the fish scaler) that rides in my work backpack and is always there if needed :tu:

I also modded a Charge handle into a nice pocket knofe with a clip that I carry daily as well :D

The list can go on and on :whistle: you may have to try a few things and see what works best for you :tu:

Let us know how it goes :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 04:15:19 AM
Pioneer X with the Rebar  or Farmer X with the Skeletool.     

This was part of my thought.

Compact or Pioneer X with Rebar.  Those would also work in an urban environment with the Skeletool. 
If more rural or use saw, then Farmer X or Huntsman. 
If like a file, then Mountaineer or Ranger.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 06:36:10 AM
Since I carry my Skeletool often enough and I like to pair it with my Champion.  I think the Mechanic would also be a great combo.  Whatever SAK you decide to carry with the Skeletool make sure it has scissors.   

I don't carry the Rebar so I will defer to the suggestions already made. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 05:28:05 PM
As several other posts have suggested, the Compact is a good choice to pair with either of those (really any) multitools.
- Steve

Offline stugumby

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 04:24:38 PM
The leatherman micros fits the scissors and tiny screwdrivers part quite well.less redundancy too as it doesn't have anything that the rebar does etc.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 02:01:23 AM
Skeletool--basically anything. It's just a serrated knife that so happens to have light-duty, but capable pliers in my use. Thus, I pair it with almost all my SAKs that don't have pliers.  Rebar, basically anything with scissors. However, I often carry mine on its own. Does what I need. I usually throw a  Classic SD in my watch pocket if I need scissors. I prefer the Wenger Microlight Esquire, since it also has a small LED light good enough for small jobs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%