Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small test for saws...

tanker · 21 · 2066

Offline tanker

Small test for saws...
on: January 24, 2009, 01:50:20 AM
I did these small tests some days ago on a pole made out of MDF or chipwood, those poles used for hanging curtains. Probably the saws on our multis are too much for this kind of material but what I was more interested to try in was the gripping, ease of use, etc.

Interestingly...the GAK was the more comfortable to use and a long saw is definitively an advantage. Close in second place I liked the Spirit, then the old Wave.
The least compatible saw with the MDF was the PowerLock. I think beacause the teeth are oriented backwards the MT jammed a lot (is that the correct word?)
At the end all of them cut through the pole like nothing, only the first two were faster and more comfy for me.
The next day I received the Surge and used the saw to cut the same pole and a chill run along my spine when for less than a second it got stuck and bend in a way that I tought the worse, all that in a nanosecond that seemed much more :o. Fortunately nothing bad happened and finally cut the pole.
By the way I prefer the teeth of the saw outwards the MT like the Spirit and the Wave in this case.
 :salute:

T

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Re: Small test for saws...
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:47 AM
The leatherman saws are meant as pull saws. Don't try to cut with them on the push or they will jam. I think they designed them as pull saws to reduce the chance of them being pent from push-pull use. You just got to remember to variate your pressure on the cut for the pull/push and they power through anything like a champ. Becomes second nature in no time.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:26:53 AM
I bought some hard wood from jantz and did a similar test. the sak was best with a leatherman wave close behind. gerber was ok but the sog saw was horrible.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:28:35 AM
I always find LM's the best for starting the cut.. Oh, and the SOG saw works best on wet wood. I am not a big fan of the Gerber saws at all though!
B

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:33:35 AM
Good rest mate :tu: :tu:

Mid last year I remember I had to cut up at least a few cubic of ice out of a few old freezers only with my Ti saw....it SUCKED :pok:
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:31:04 AM
I also like the saw on the Bear Jaw tools  :tu: very aggressive teeth :o around half the teeth as a LM or Vic but just as sharp :D To me most of these saws cut very much the same I don't really notice enough of a difference to matter :)

Of course only saws I have to judge between are Vics (SwissTool and SAKs) , LM, and Bear and Son tools :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:19:32 AM
Fine post mate :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:35:35 PM
Yes indeed, thanks for the test report. :salute:

For some reason the wood saw is something I almost never have a use for. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 03:38:18 PM

Same here, yet it seems a high priority for quite a lot of people.  I'd be interested to know just how many get used.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 05:35:22 PM

Same here, yet it seems a high priority for quite a lot of people.  I'd be interested to know just how many get used.
[/quote]

For a long time I tried to avoid using the saw on my multis unless I really needed to, reasoning that I wouldn't be able to resharpen them and then when I really needed them they would be blunt. As a result they were just deadweight!

Deciding that this was daft  :-[ I've started using them more and I'm very impressed with the one on my Charge.
Prone to daydreaming.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 05:40:51 PM
Can you give mean example of when you used it?  In an urban environment I see very little need to EDC a saw.  Saying that, I seem to anyway.  :D  Have never needed it though.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 05:47:34 PM
I like having a saw because I use the back for striking firesteels!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 05:50:25 PM
I like having a saw because I use the back for striking firesteels!

But surely you could use pretty much anything else to do that as well?
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 05:55:00 PM
I used mine to cut away a section of floorboard when doing some plumbing work - really needed it then, a normal saw wouldn't fit into the gap under the bath. I also cut a Christmas tree in half to make it easier to take to the tip. I see your point, I don't need them that often but when I do the're very useful
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 06:01:59 PM
Ben, the saw works incredibly well for striking!!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 06:04:29 PM
I used mine to cut away a section of floorboard when doing some plumbing work - really needed it then, a normal saw wouldn't fit into the gap under the bath. I also cut a Christmas tree in half to make it easier to take to the tip. I see your point, I don't need them that often but when I do the're very useful

Perhaps I need to cut more stuff up.  >:D

I guess I just see saws (he he) as a tool that you use, wear out, then throw away.  I don't see it as an "investment" if you get me, unlike a decent screwdriver for example.  I also think that if I needed a saw I'd just go and fetch a full sized one and do the task in a fraction of the time, the little saws on MT's seem like so much more hard work than a "proper" saw.  But I guess it does depend on the task at hand as you have just shown above.  :)

One situation where I do like to carry a saw is in the car, as I drive down narrow country lanes where branches are often in the road. That is why I have a Glock entrenchment tool in my car at all times as I not only have a saw, but I also have a decent shovel as well.  :)
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 06:07:16 PM
Ben, the saw works incredibly well for striking!!

It probably does, but having a saw just for striking a ferro rod when lets face it you could get a similar result with an awl for example ( I have a video somewhere of me and Mike doing that  :D ) seems a bit of a waste.  But like I say I have one on me at all times as well, I just don't necessarily know why (Mike makes me  :D ).
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 06:09:43 PM
Can you give mean example of when you used it?  In an urban environment I see very little need to EDC a saw.  Saying that, I seem to anyway.  :D  Have never needed it though.

True, it's probably one of the least used impliments in an urban setting..but when you need a SAW, nothing else will really do.

And even in urban enviroments you're surrounded by wood and plastic that might need to be sawed.

In general I've noticed the saws on multis really shine when you need to saw something in tight spaces.
[

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 07:12:14 PM
Oh, and the SOG saw works best on wet wood.

so true :tu:
A

Offline tanker

Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 07:47:17 PM
The leatherman saws are meant as pull saws. Don't try to cut with them on the push or they will jam. I think they designed them as pull saws to reduce the chance of them being pent from push-pull use. You just got to remember to variate your pressure on the cut for the pull/push and they power through anything like a champ. Becomes second nature in no time.
:tu:

As EDC (city) I have only used once the saw in all the years I have a MT so you´re probably right, it´s not the most used tool in most cases. Lately the saw along with the bottle opener are probably the least used tools of my MT but I prefer to have them anyway.
T

Offline appletree_man

Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 03:17:20 PM
Good test.
I keep an old Vic Camper in my tool bag to use as a pad saw. I also used it to saw up last year's xmas tree  :D
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD