Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

fish scaler and wood saw rub together on swiss champ is this normal?

00 Offline undertaker99

i bought 2 swisschamps from the same place and on both of them the fish scaler and wood saw rub together.  If I order another one from someplace else what are the chances i get a good one?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Just checked one of my Swisschamps (just one, the others are stored away in my collection) and yes, the saw and fish scaler touch when both opened at the same time, especially when I'm opening and closing the saw while the fish scaler is half open.  I guess this is quite normal, seeing both the saw and fish scaler are quite flexible.  When one of them is already closed, they don't touch while closing the other one.

Hope this makes sense, it's the middle of the night overhere, so I might not sound real coherent  :-[.

00 Offline undertaker99

when i close the fish scaler the tip sometimes closes on top of the spacer and when i open the saw i can feel the teeth rub against the closed fish scaler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
when i close the fish scaler the tip sometimes closes on top of the spacer and when i open the saw i can feel the teeth rub against the closed fish scaler

My fishscaler also stops on the spacer as well.  Not all the time but it happens on both my Swisschamps and both Champions.  I just opened the saw layer on my Swisschamp and I too felt the saw rub but it may have been the pressure towards the fishscaler as I opened it.  I re-opened it and it didn't happen tho I was conscientious this time.

I don't see any marks on the scaler on my old and well used SC so while a small thing to me maybe you can open putting pressure in the opposite direction when opening it  :think:   
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Perhaps they just like each other?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Perhaps they just like each other?

There should be a ""mind = blown" badge.
Or a   :hatsoff: badge.

Offline joshuae73

• New User
This happens on my Swisschamp, but not on my Champion Plus.

On the Swisschamp, the wood saw and fish scaler are touching each other at their tips: When I open the wood saw, there's a chance I'll feel it rub against the fish scaler a bit. When I close the fish scaler, it touches the spacer at first and then it pushes the wood saw out of the way and rests next to the saw. If I had to blame anyone, it seems like the saw is hogging the bed.

Has this caused any problems for you?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Welcome to the boards Josh.   :cheers:

Haven't seen undertaker for some months now...

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Funnily enough, I've been thinking of posting this very question about mine, as it's always bugged me. Same for the blade and nail file on my Classic SD too...

Offline Helvetica Bold

I guess it’s just a bit of an issue caused by the lack of liner/spacer between these two tools. If the wood saw gets some use that can bend quite easily compounding the problem more. I’ve not had so much of an issue with the scaler hitting the liner but definitely the saw hogging it’s space whenever it’s opened.

Offline GrouchoM

Hmmm... these don't touch on my SC.  I have one with the gray magnifier and smooth backed hook (if that helps age it). Here's an attempt to show it

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD