Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brexit

gb Offline Manorcom

Brexit
on: December 07, 2020, 06:46:05 PM
With the impending completion of Brexit from the EU, does anyone think it might be worth us UK buyers bringing forward intended purchases from the EU in case tariffs raise prices and deliveries maybe getting delayed?
Thoughts for the day:
For Mechanics - "Amateurs built the Ark.....Professionals built the Titanic!"  - British comedian
For Bodyworkers - "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
For Drivers - "Hey, let's be careful out there" - Sgt Esterhaus
For Me - "Brain the size of a planet and they ask me to park the car" - Marvin the paranoid android
For All - "Live long and prosper" - Mr Spock.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Brexit
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:31:34 PM
You’ll probably be better off saving your money for when a loaf of bread costs £17...

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:33:31 PM
You might be right, but I thought this place was politics free?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:12:34 PM
You might be right, but I thought this place was politics free?

It is and let's keep it that way   :tu:

We'll be watching this one

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 08:57:42 AM
With Heinies within the UK, Switzerland out of the EU thus no change in SAK tax and Amazon UK still in the UK (though their actual country/area of operations/shipping seems to vary) there should not be a huge change. US imports may even get cheaper, according to which expert you listen to.

In theory, it may be about the same or better, depending on which expert you listen too, and depending on what your buying power will be then. If you are wealthy now you should be fine whatever happens.  Old money...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 09:15:02 AM
I wonder if it means Ireland will get an amazon.ie :P

(actually I'd be happy if they didn't, local businesses for the win. :D )
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 09:21:49 AM
I have had amazon UK orders come from Luxembourg, so I think they have several warehouses. It will make sense to be able to buy from amazon uk (I usually price compare all the amazon sites) and then have the product shipped from within the EU to avoid tax.

Amazon UK tax situations and base are also "magical"

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-britain-tax-idUKKBN2671HS

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:28 AM

there's a few bits I've ordered from UK companies that could have waited, ordering anything over 20 odd euro from outside the EU quickly becomes expensive and with Christmas coming I've killed two birds with one stone.

I wonder if it means Ireland will get an amazon.ie :P

(actually I'd be happy if they didn't, local businesses for the win. :D )
I've been consciously doing that a lot more this year given how businesses have struggled because of the pandemic. I don't mind paying a few euro extra to support local.

Lack of an amazon ireland and prime will be a blessing in disguise, means i'll be buying a lot less smurfe that i only think i need.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 04:16:17 PM
It will be interesting to see what is going to happen in January
fail to prepare prepare to fail

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 06:19:12 PM
there's a few bits I've ordered from UK companies that could have waited, ordering anything over 20 odd euro from outside the EU quickly becomes expensive and with Christmas coming I've killed two birds with one stone.
I've been consciously doing that a lot more this year given how businesses have struggled because of the pandemic. I don't mind paying a few euro extra to support local.

Lack of an amazon ireland and prime will be a blessing in disguise, means i'll be buying a lot less smurfe that i only think i need.

I agree on buying from local businesses, but it all depends on how much "a few Euro extra" is...

If I want to buy a BO Surge I'll have to pay 199 Euro, ordering it online from a knife shop just over the border I pay 119 Euro.  I'm all about supporting local businesses, but there are limits.

gb Offline Manorcom

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 06:24:56 PM
I agree on buying from local businesses, but it all depends on how much "a few Euro extra" is...

If I want to buy a BO Surge I'll have to pay 199 Euro, ordering it online from a knife shop just over the border I pay 119 Euro.  I'm all about supporting local businesses, but there are limits.

I thoroughly agree with that.

Our problem in the UK is that, I think due to our knife laws, few outlets carry the range that is available from some EU outlets
Thoughts for the day:
For Mechanics - "Amateurs built the Ark.....Professionals built the Titanic!"  - British comedian
For Bodyworkers - "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
For Drivers - "Hey, let's be careful out there" - Sgt Esterhaus
For Me - "Brain the size of a planet and they ask me to park the car" - Marvin the paranoid android
For All - "Live long and prosper" - Mr Spock.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 12:21:06 AM
Maybe it's to do with Brexit, and maybe it isn't,but heres the thing: a Swisstool is now a cheap alternative to a Leatherman,  and I can buy a Vic Vic Spartan for less then a Rough Rider. Oh, and the cheaply Spyderco Grasshoper is hitting thirty quid? It may well goodnight from me!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 10:04:20 AM

yes, i don't have a hard fixed rule - in your example above 80 euro is much better in my pocket and for me that example is a no brainer !
Unfortunately, a lot of companies here still have excessive prices vs UK and european prices across all sectors but thats a whole different story.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 10:05:30 AM
It will be interesting to see what is going to happen in January

We live in interesting times.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!