Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKMC (as in Swiss Army Knights Motorcycle Club)

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
SAKMC (as in Swiss Army Knights Motorcycle Club)
on: December 05, 2020, 12:04:06 AM
I'm honestly surprised this isn't a thing yet!  :think:

But I don't know about you guys, but for me, pocket knives and motorcycles just sound like they go hand in hand. This is my little Suzuki Intruder 125 and my Super Tinker.

Maybe we could even get a motorcycle badge?  :pok:
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: SAKMC (as in Swiss Army Knights Motorcycle Club)
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:38:16 AM
I'm honestly surprised this isn't a thing yet!  :think:

But I don't know about you guys, but for me, pocket knives and motorcycles just sound like they go hand in hand. This is my little Suzuki Intruder 125 and my Super Tinker.

Maybe we could even get a motorcycle badge?  :pok:

Nice pic BleaKrytE! :like: :tu: :tu: :tu:

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 11:39:42 AM
I’ll play... :D

The Pioneer often joins me on the bike.

I have a 111mm Forester that rides in the Camelbak:

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 11:42:21 AM
We have a non tool related Motorcycle thread in the Break Room:  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61028.0.html

Lots of stories and bike pics there.

Pete

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 11:42:45 AM
That AT sure is nice!!!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 12:27:04 PM
I do humbly suggest to best avoid the SAKMC as acronym, since it's been in use for years as you know.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 12:44:48 PM
We have a non tool related Motorcycle thread in the Break Room:  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61028.0.html

Lots of stories and bike pics there.

Pete

How did I not know this? I’ll head over that side...  :cheers:

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 01:12:47 PM
I do humbly suggest to best avoid the SAKMC as acronym, since it's been in use for years as you know.
I know, I sorta put it as a joke, hence the rest of the title. Wonder if you can change the thread title though

Enviado de meu Moto E (4) Plus usando o Tapatalk

Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 01:14:16 PM

That's a beautiful bike!

How do you like the little Garmin rescue gps? I was wondering how it compares to Spot if I eventually pull the trigger on one of those things.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 08:53:54 AM
That's a beautiful bike!

How do you like the little Garmin rescue gps? I was wondering how it compares to Spot if I eventually pull the trigger on one of those things.

Thanks  :tu:

Hijack on...

The Spot essentially provides one way satellite comms and tracking, where the Garmin Inreach does two way text message or email comms and tracking. Inreach has a few extra bells and whistles, like connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth for a more friendly user interface, weather forecast at your location, nice web interface for friends to track your adventure etc.

Another big plus is the Inreach uses the Iridium satellite constellation, which has 76+ low earth orbit satellites, which provides 100% global coverage. It is superior to the 3 geostationary satellites used by Spot. Satellite comms requires line of sight, and you are more likely to get reception in a deep valley with the Iridiums because they fly overhead and change position the whole time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

I like the Inreach a lot. It just works.

Hijack off.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:44:40 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 02:49:46 PM
How about scooters?
A SAK is on the seat.
34230286545_7416f3c5e6_z.jpg
* 34230286545_7416f3c5e6_z.jpg (Filesize: 100.47 KB)
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 03:54:19 PM

Nice Honda Brock! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 03:55:00 PM
How about scooters?
A SAK is on the seat.

Nice Scooter FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 05:17:15 PM
Thanks  :tu:

Hijack on...

The Spot essentially provides one way satellite comms and tracking, where the Garmin Inreach does two way text message or email comms and tracking. Inreach has a few extra bells and whistles, like connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth for a more friendly user interface, weather forecast at your location, nice web interface for friends to track your adventure etc.

Another big plus is the Inreach uses the Iridium satellite constellation, which has 76+ low earth orbit satellites, which provides 100% global coverage. It is superior to the 3 geostationary satellites used by Spot. Satellite comms requires line of sight, and you are more likely to get reception in a deep valley with the Iridiums because they fly overhead and change position the whole time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellite_constellation

I like the Inreach a lot. It just works.

Hijack off.
Interesting. I know Spot sells one that looks like a mid 2000s Blackberry with a keyboard so you can text back and forth, but it's much bigger.

The Iridium constellation surely is a major advantage for the  Garmin. Too bad they don't sell it in Brazil :(

Thanks for the review though

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 09:50:49 PM
How about scooters?
A SAK is on the seat.
Love the Vespa!

ca Offline Altis

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 05:06:57 AM
I'll have to take one with a SAK but the bike is partially asleep for the winter.

I usually carry the Swisstool Spirit X in it because pliers and locking tools are more likely to be useful with a motorcycle, as well as a bit driver with the main bits I need for it.

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 02:50:33 PM
 :like: :tu:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 03:19:46 PM
Just wondering if a motorized wheelchair is eligible for membership??
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 04:32:34 PM
Just wondering if a motorized wheelchair is eligible for membership??
Rich
As long as you have the wind in your hair, or ideally, helmet, you're in.

Harley trikes are just glorified motorized wheelchairs anyway (kidding :P)

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 04:33:49 PM
I'll have to take one with a SAK but the bike is partially asleep for the winter.

I usually carry the Swisstool Spirit X in it because pliers and locking tools are more likely to be useful with a motorcycle, as well as a bit driver with the main bits I need for it.

Absolutely stunning pictures! Is that a CBR650R? I'll admit to knowing little about sports bikes, especially the confusing Honda names.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 06:43:14 PM
Absolutely stunning pictures! Is that a CBR650R? I'll admit to knowing little about sports bikes, especially the confusing Honda names.

Thanks! It's the CBR500R... they just plastic them up to look almost all identical (which works for me as I love the styling).

It's more of a 'standard' bike to ride in terms of riding position and has way less power (only about 50hp). But it has plenty of low-end power, right from 2000 RPM, from the 471cc twin. Plenty of power for me and it gets about 70-80 US MPG (between 2.8 - 3.4 L / 100km) depending on riding. Insurance costs are also very low, even lower than a Ninja 400 would have been.

I started on a Kawi ZZR 250 which was the most fun I'd ever had. I them had two 600cc inline 4 sport-tourers, which were fast and a lot of fun, but once the thrill wore off they were pretty expensive to run and didn't give me that fizz I got with the 250.

I've come to find more humble bikes to be my sweet spot right now. I was looking into adding a Kawi Versys-X 300 as I've been riding more back country that isn't really appropriate on a road bike. Much of the country in Canada is unpaved when you're off the main roads.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 06:47:57 PM

Thanks! It's the CBR500R... they just plastic them up to look almost all identical (which works for me as I love the styling).

It's more of a 'standard' bike to ride in terms of riding position and has way less power (only about 50hp). But it has plenty of low-end power, right from 2000 RPM, from the 471cc twin. Plenty of power for me and it gets about 70-80 US MPG (between 2.8 - 3.4 L / 100km) depending on riding. Insurance costs are also very low, even lower than a Ninja 400 would have been.

I started on a Kawi ZZR 250 which was the most fun I'd ever had. I them had two 600cc inline 4 sport-tourers, which were fast and a lot of fun, but once the thrill wore off they were pretty expensive to run and didn't give me that fizz I got with the 250.

I've come to find more humble bikes to be my sweet spot right now. I was looking into adding a Kawi Versys-X 300 as I've been riding more back country that isn't really appropriate on a road bike. Much of the country in Canada is unpaved when you're off the main roads.

Ah yes, the 500! I'm more of an ADV bike guy (even though mine is a cruiser wanna-be), so I'm more into the 500X. Fuel economy really ain't half bad for a middleweight bike.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 08:24:18 PM

Ah yes, the 500! I'm more of an ADV bike guy (even though mine is a cruiser wanna-be), so I'm more into the 500X. Fuel economy really ain't half bad for a middleweight bike.

I'm quickly becoming more interested in ADVs as well, as I desire to go a bit more off-road. Dual-sports don't have nearly enough fuel range and don't feel great on the road for me.

But ADVs seem to quickly get expensive and heavy, and are often quite large. That's why the Versys-X appeals to me... great fuel range, inexpensive, great balance of on/off-road, and light weight.

The CB500X is definitely on my list to try. I'd probably get that if I could only have one bike, but I'm tempted to try to have two so that one can be more road-oriented, though I understand ADVs can be excellent commuter/city bikes. The Honda 500 twin engine is absolutely sweet, and the low-end power would work well for off-road.

Ah, decisions...  :dunno:

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 03:22:27 AM
I'm quickly becoming more interested in ADVs as well, as I desire to go a bit more off-road. Dual-sports don't have nearly enough fuel range and don't feel great on the road for me.

But ADVs seem to quickly get expensive and heavy, and are often quite large. That's why the Versys-X appeals to me... great fuel range, inexpensive, great balance of on/off-road, and light weight.

The CB500X is definitely on my list to try. I'd probably get that if I could only have one bike, but I'm tempted to try to have two so that one can be more road-oriented, though I understand ADVs can be excellent commuter/city bikes. The Honda 500 twin engine is absolutely sweet, and the low-end power would work well for off-road.

Ah, decisions...  :dunno:

Sorry for not replying before. The Versys 300 really seems like a great little bike. Fortnine made a great review on it as well. There's the KTM 390 Adventure now as well, but that's more of a naked bike with the clothes of an ADV. I wish we had the V-Strom 250 where I live :(

I really don't see the point in bikes larger than 650cc, save a few exceptions.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 08:11:15 AM
Sorry for not replying before. The Versys 300 really seems like a great little bike. Fortnine made a great review on it as well. There's the KTM 390 Adventure now as well, but that's more of a naked bike with the clothes of an ADV. I wish we had the V-Strom 250 where I live :(

I really don't see the point in bikes larger than 650cc, save a few exceptions.

Love Fortnine reviews (quality Canadian content :cheers: )

V-strom 250 would be cool but I've heard that it genuinely is dismally slow (but that's all relative, of course). I've only ridden a 650 and I found it to be a very large bike for me.

One thing I have to keep in mind is that I'd be exploring remote areas alone, so I'd need to be able to pick up the bike if I dropped it without much trouble. Dual sports would be nice but trails are at least an hour ride to start, and they tend to have microscopic fuel tanks.

Versys 300 and CBX500 are really the only two that I've seriously considered. I've heard pretty good things about that "BMW" G 310 GS, but I'm not sure. If I can make it work, I'd like to just add a Versys 300 and keep the CBR500R for in town... though I may end up preferring an ADV for in town. There's not all that much for twisties around here, sadly.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 05:38:23 PM
Love Fortnine reviews (quality Canadian content :cheers: )

V-strom 250 would be cool but I've heard that it genuinely is dismally slow (but that's all relative, of course). I've only ridden a 650 and I found it to be a very large bike for me.

One thing I have to keep in mind is that I'd be exploring remote areas alone, so I'd need to be able to pick up the bike if I dropped it without much trouble. Dual sports would be nice but trails are at least an hour ride to start, and they tend to have microscopic fuel tanks.

Versys 300 and CBX500 are really the only two that I've seriously considered. I've heard pretty good things about that "BMW" G 310 GS, but I'm not sure. If I can make it work, I'd like to just add a Versys 300 and keep the CBR500R for in town... though I may end up preferring an ADV for in town. There's not all that much for twisties around here, sadly.
You can always put a larger tank in dual sports. The seat and ride on-road though won't be great no matter what.

Adv bikes are supposed to do twisties at least decently well.

I was gonna suggest the RE Himalayan but people say it's not great for long rides for lack of power. I mean I ride a 125 so I know what real lack of power is, but still, for someone used to a 500 twin it'll feel sluggish for sure. In Brazil where I live we have (or used to have anyway) a 250cc Ténéré, and a 660 Ténéré based on the XT660R. Great bikes. Tall as a mountain though.

For used, there's the BMW F650GS Dakar, or it's facelifted sucessor the G650GS Sertão. Heard good things about them, don't seem like huge bikes. Def more road focused, but the larger front wheel and ground clearance should help them off road.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:45:50 PM by BleaKrytE »

ca Offline Altis

Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 03:30:39 AM
You can always put a larger tank in dual sports. The seat and ride on-road though won't be great no matter what.

Adv bikes are supposed to do twisties at least decently well.

I was gonna suggest the RE Himalayan but people say it's not great for long rides for lack of power. I mean I ride a 125 so I know what real lack of power is, but still, for someone used to a 500 twin it'll feel sluggish for sure. In Brazil where I live we have (or used to have anyway) a 250cc Ténéré, and a 660 Ténéré based on the XT660R. Great bikes. Tall as a mountain though.

For used, there's the BMW F650GS Dakar, or it's facelifted sucessor the G650GS Sertão. Heard good things about them, don't seem like huge bikes. Def more road focused, but the larger front wheel and ground clearance should help them off road.

Appreciate the advice. There are a lot of models of motorcycles that we just don't get here in Canada. Even Honda only sells a selection of their US-market bikes here, sadly. It isn't a big thing since most of the country has a pretty long winter.

The Tenere looks very capable but it's also big and sounds pretty rough to me. I definitely want something that's good on-road since that's where I do spend most of my time, but I would like to be able to handle rough gravel roads, single track, etc, nothing too technical though.

I've even taken my CBR500R places it probably ought not to have been. It does fine as long as the surface is smooth enough.  :D

Being able to put some tougher 50/50 tires on and to stand up in the loose stuff would help tremendously. Otherwise I still need those road manners (and insist on decent ABS).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%