Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber vs Compact

Poll

Compact or Climber w/ Rambler

Climber
18 (48.6%)
Compact
19 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Offline SirZanos

Climber vs Compact
on: December 05, 2020, 12:41:54 AM
I’m strictly looking at these two 91mm models.

I already carry an Explorer, on a suspension clip, and find it’s just a little bit too big for my liking.
I EDC a Rambler on my keychain, so it will be accompanying the Climber or Compact.

My Rambler mainly works as a backup, as it’s on me regardless of where I go. And my Explorer currently goes with me when I’m going to work or somewhere I know will require tools of some sort, for the day.

So my main tools that I tend to use more than any other on my Explorer are Scissors, Large Blade, In-Line Phillips or Can Opener.
I mainly fiddle with electronics with my SAK, and I usually grab something dedicated if the task seems a bit more rough. My mechanical skills are not great, and I’m more suited to electronics.

I can’t really decide if the lesser combo tool would be worth the loss of the opener layer? In the past I’ve also been excited about the Hook/File, but realistically I have the Rambler always ready with a File. But come on- that Hook File is cool.
I feel the Cap Opener gets by on most jobs, as a Phillips, but I’m not sure how well the Combo Tool would perform?

The main draw for the Compact is the slimmer 2 layer profile, more than anything. The loss of the awl is fine with me. And the loss of the Small Blade is hard to say either way, as I still will have the pen blade on my Rambler handy. I usually carry a pen on me, so the Plus Scales are a bit of a wash, to me.
It really seems to boil down to:
- 2 Layer (0.6in) vs 3 Layer (0.7in)
- Combo Tool vs Opener Layer w/ Small Blade

I only have the means to buy the Climber OR the Compact, for the time being. Originally I was planning on doing a custom SAK, but this is where I am now, monetarily. Appreciate any help and personal experience, and sorry if I left any info out.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: Climber vs Compact
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:56:05 AM
In your particular case I would say Compact. Looks as if you don't need prying capabilities or heavy(-ish) duty use of the combo tool's SD. And the Rambler gives you a small Philips SD to partially make up for the loss of the can opener. So the slimmer profile of the Compact wins, especially since you can still switch to the Explorer whenever you need a more robust tool.

Btw, the Climber vs Compact discussion is one of the evergreens on this forum. If you want to know what past generations thought about the topic, the search function will provide you with lots of food for thought.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:01:16 AM by Simon_Templar »

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:00:40 AM
I’ve had this conundrum myself but am lucky enough to own both.
Like you I also carry a rambler, or more often a manager which is an easier pen to use than the one on the compact.

It’s a tough choice so maybe depends on how you intend to carry it :think:

As you say, you lose tools choosing the compact but I find the slimmer form better in the pocket (I use a suspension clip).

However the climber does indeed have the full opener layer, the small blade which is always useful, more so than the blades on the 58’s as well as the awl. It’s also a bit of a classic SAK, (no not a 58mm classic!) so that’d incline me to owning one before the compact, but having said that you already have the explorer, so you’d get more difference with a compact.

Carry the explorer when you need the full tool set and the compact for edc. Your electronic projects don’t really need the full opener layer as your rambler has a more suitable driver, and as you say, you have dedicated tools.

Think I’d go compact as I really find the combo layer works well, not as good as the can opener used as a philip’s but I’ve used it that way a few times and it’ll get a lot of jobs done. You get the pen, the hook with file (tbh not as good as file on rambler) but the slimmer form makes it an excellent carry

:cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:06:18 AM
I would say the Climber.  One of the biggest things you lose between the Compact and Climber is the Phillips driver tip on the can opener, which you listed as one of the main tools you tend to use. 

Some people mod the profile of the combo tool to make it usable as a Phillips, which if that interests you the Compact would work.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:15:08 AM
I’m strictly looking at these two 91mm models.
This is a tough one to decide, I can see why you are wondering which one to get.

These are a few things I ponder:
1) If you get the Climber, which is less expensive to buy, will you always wonder if you should have gone with the Compact?
2) If you decide to make a modded knife later on, which of the two would make a better donor knife for what you have in mind?
3) Is there one you are leaning towards buying over the other?
4) The Compact seems to have a couple of tools that the Explorer doesn't so it seems most unlike one you already have.
5) If it's likely you'll end up with both at a later time, which one would you like to try first?

Hope I haven't muddied the water even more.  :ahhh
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 02:20:47 AM
I’d so go for a compact, I just wish it switched the corkscrew out for a philips, that would be my absolute minimal carry..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline SirZanos

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 02:46:53 AM
This is a tough one to decide, I can see why you are wondering which one to get.

These are a few things I ponder:
1) If you get the Climber, which is less expensive to buy, will you always wonder if you should have gone with the Compact?
2) If you decide to make a modded knife later on, which of the two would make a better donor knife for what you have in mind?
3) Is there one you are leaning towards buying over the other?
4) The Compact seems to have a couple of tools that the Explorer doesn't so it seems most unlike one you already have.
5) If it's likely you'll end up with both at a later time, which one would you like to try first?

Hope I haven't muddied the water even more.  :ahhh
1) I’ve considered this. And yes I would. But that’s my fatal flaw. I can never make up my mind. I drive my wife crazy. Haha! I’d probably have either knife on my mind once I picked one, honestly. But it does seem like I’d wonder about the Compact more. (see #3 for more)

2) My original plans were to combine an Explorer and a Compact. So the Compact would be better for me, if I get the chance to do future mods. I’m still a little undecided now if I’ll do a custom build or just buy some cool scales I have my eye on.

3) Leaning towards the Climber. I already enjoy the Explorer and I like all the tools on it, minus the Magnifier. It’s fun but just not useful for me. My vision is about my only strength, and I don’t plan on setting fires with it. But that’s also why I would be left wondering about the Compact, with your #1 question. Because I’m leaning toward the Climber.

4) Yeah this was my thought here too. But my goal is to pick just one of these and spend a little bit of extra money on some 3rd party scales. Just spiff it up for my EDC, as I’m not overly fond of the cellidor scratchiness. But I need those scale tools— hook, corkscrew, etc.

5) This is the question I’m most stuck on and don’t have an answer for, I think. Probably the main reason for my post, really. I suppose the realistic answer would be the Compact, since I’ve not tried the combo tool yet. Or the hook file, if that counts.

This was a good exercise! Thanks for the specific questions. I’m not 100% sold on a choice, just yet. I’m gonna wait for some more responses. But this was definitely helpful. Something I’ll revisit in the next few days to help with this decision.

Great answers so far, guys! By the end of this comment, I think I’ve discovered I was more on the Climber side. But with the large votes for the Compact, I’m stalled. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Sidney Porter

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 03:14:38 AM
Since you have never tried the combo tool how about climber + waiter. That is going to be in the ballpark as the compact as far as cost. Climber are pretty easy to find used. The waiter gives you exposure to the combo plus an small knife when space is a premium

au Offline Echotech

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 03:23:44 AM
Since you have never tried the combo tool how about climber + waiter. That is going to be in the ballpark as the compact as far as cost. Climber are pretty easy to find used. The waiter gives you exposure to the combo plus an small knife when space is a premium
:like: good idea and you’d have even more choices (and SAK’s which is never a bad thing). Climbers are plentiful second hand for sure.
I’ve found Amazon cheapest for both recently, the compact is about 40% cheaper than I paid not that long ago

Decisions SAK decisions, marvelous :)

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 03:24:23 AM
Here's a left field suggestion. Unless you're really want the hook, I'd actually skip these two and choose a Spartan instead. Two layers like the Compact with the strong openers layer of the Climber.

To me a Spartan is a cost effective choice as they're widely available on the used market for very little. The small blade is sturdier than the 58mm one. Don't forget you already have capable scissors on the Rambler. You could add plus scales for a pen.

:cheers:
Rambler

au Offline Echotech

Climber vs Compact
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 03:35:52 AM

4) Yeah this was my thought here too. But my goal is to pick just one of these and spend a little bit of extra money on some 3rd party scales. Just spiff it up for my EDC, as I’m not overly fond of the cellidor scratchiness. But I need those scale tools— hook, corkscrew, etc.

Had a similar conundrum, bought some third party Ti scales and couldn’t make my mind up to put them on the  compact or the climber.

Chose climber and reckon it was the right decision. The scales are 40gm, made more sense to add them to the heavier SAK and keep the compact lightweight I decided, very pleased with them

Offline SirZanos

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 03:42:23 AM
Had a similar conundrum, bought some third party Ti scales and couldn’t make my mind up to put them on the  compact or the climber.

Chose climber and reckon it was the right decision. The scales are 40gm, made more sense to add them to the heavier SAK and keep the compact lightweight I decided, very pleased with them

(Image removed from quote.)
That makes a lot of sense when wanting to add Ti scales. Which is exactly what I want to do. My biggest concern was getting the scales and picking the wrong model to put the scales on. This may have made that choice easier for me.

Now I need to decide if the Compact is what I want to own now, without the need for upgrades, or if I should just get the Climber and save for some Ti scales right off the bat..

Offline SirZanos

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 03:45:36 AM
This might be my favorite idea, so far. I’m considering buying the Waiter now, and testing it for a while, and then deciding?
Maybe by the time I’m done testing it in real life situations I’ll have saved a bit more money for a Compact, if I end up preferring the combo tool.

au Offline Echotech

Climber vs Compact
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 03:54:37 AM
That makes a lot of sense when wanting to add Ti scales. Which is exactly what I want to do. My biggest concern was getting the scales and picking the wrong model to put the scales on. This may have made that choice easier for me.

Now I need to decide if the Compact is what I want to own now, without the need for upgrades, or if I should just get the Climber and save for some Ti scales right off the bat..

Price on these was a better than most, A$42 (Brass for A$32 but 70gm) FYI,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-Handle-Scales-Replacement-for-Victorinox-SAK-Swiss-Army-Pocket-Knife-91mm-/282812507719?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

My first SAK was a waiter and used nothing else for 2 weeks in recent minimal SAK challenge, very capable and one of the best utility/weight ratios I reckon

Offline SirZanos

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 04:06:51 AM
For those of you who have the Combo Tool, how well does it perform for your general Phillips head screw?
I’ve only found a single video of someone using it for that purpose.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 04:12:34 AM
Two thoughts that I have when trying to make this decision -

- I choose the Compact when I don't think I'll need to drive screws

- The one additional layer on the Climber adds more functionality than its "weight class" if you will.  If you consider most layers to add two tools.... this one layer adds more than two tools.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 10:21:19 AM
As someone who has carried both the Climber and the Compact (though not at the same time), I'm firmly in the Climber camp.

The primary issue is that the combo tool is a poor substitute for the opener layer, especially when it comes to driving screws.  The cap lifter is considerably stouter than the combo tool, which gives it the edge, especially on larger, stuck, or stubborn standard screws.

Some folks advocate using the corner of the combo tool for Philips screws; but this is less than ideal.  Others modify their combo tools so they fit Philips screws better, but this comes at the price of making the entire combo tool less robust as well as making it fit standard screws less well.  The Vic can opener tool, however, is a thing of beauty.  The small flat driver on the end does a great job on #1 or #2 Philips screws, as well as smaller standard screws.  Also, I'll argue that, because of the tapered geometry and sharp edge, the can opener is actually better for removing stripped screws than most dedicated screwdrivers.

I also liked having the awl and small blade on the Climber, though you indicated indifference.

In terms of tools that the Compact has but the Climber doesn't, of course there is the hook file, but with a Rambler file at the ready (and the knowledge that most fingernail issues can be satisfactorily resolved with the scissors, without benefit of a file), the value of having the file on the hook may be reasonably questioned.  If you already carry a separate pen, the plus scales are worth little; if you plan on replacing the scales anyway, they are worth nothing.

Finally, since you are used to carrying an Explorer, either the Climber or the Compact will feel svelte by comparison.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 11:57:03 AM
When i got my Compact, i got torn between choosing carrying the Compact or the Climber too... So much that i carried both for a while... :facepalm:
Carried the Compact for some months and like it a lot, but missed the full opening layer, small blade and awl, so i went back to the Climber.

These days i went back to the Tinkers, mainly the Deluxe Tinker, or the Super Tinker.

But if you go the Compact route for a while and are worried about it's SD function, i'd advise this combo:

:D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 01:44:15 PM
When i got my Compact, i got torn between choosing carrying the Compact or the Climber too... So much that i carried both for a while... :facepalm:
Carried the Compact for some months and like it a lot, but missed the full opening layer, small blade and awl, so i went back to the Climber.

These days i went back to the Tinkers, mainly the Deluxe Tinker, or the Super Tinker.

But if you go the Compact route for a while and are worried about it's SD function, i'd advise this combo:

That must feel nice in the pocket. Out of curiosity: do you have to buy new trousers often?    >:D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 02:47:00 PM

Nice idea!

I carried the Compact for last months Minimalist Challenge... and to be honest, I only used the SD once.... and it was on a sort of a screw that you're meant to be able to tighten with anything - a coin, the back of a spoon, a toothbrush....

Over the years, whenever I carry the Compact for a while, what gets me back on to something else is the opener layer.

But that's how it goes, doesnt it?  On the one day that you need a can opener, or tweezers, or pliers, or you-name-it... you kick yourself and go back into your SAK sack to get a different one. 

us Offline cody6268

Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 04:06:39 PM
I think the typical answer applies--buy both.  :D   

Going by typical used prices, Climber. A LOT cheaper than a Compact. Plus, you have an awl, and two drivers (three if you add a mini driver to the CS). The downside is that once you look at the Climber, you'll see that the Huntsman adds a saw, and isn't much heavier or thicker. And, just as common used.

The Compact is better as a carry, as it's slimmer and lighter. Plus, the full Plus kit goodies come standard (pen, pin, and mini driver). The Combo tool  ain't the best driver, but usually, when I carry my Golfer (like a Compact, just a divot repair tool replaces the combo tool, which means NO drivers at all; aside from the mini driver in CS; but I did get it for less than $10), I have either the old, USA made version of the SwissTech tool with pliers, or an old Craftsman 4-in-1 keychain driver. Both have very strong drivers on them and aren't that heavy add-ons. But, people tend to want $20-30 for them used, if not more.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:23:03 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 06:06:22 PM
While I'm a fan of the Compact, I voted Climber for you mostly because of the in-line phillips requirement.  The combo tool was satisfactory for me as an office worker, but it makes a poor phillips driver.  Money is a consideration, and the Climber is also less expensive than the Compact.

You wanted to limit it to the Compact and Climber, but as the corkscrew was not on your list of requirements you might also want to consider the Super Tinker.
- Steve

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 08:23:18 PM
While I'm a fan of the Compact, I voted Climber for you mostly because of the in-line phillips requirement.  The combo tool was satisfactory for me as an office worker, but it makes a poor phillips driver.  Money is a consideration, and the Climber is also less expensive than the Compact.

You wanted to limit it to the Compact and Climber, but as the corkscrew was not on your list of requirements you might also want to consider the Super Tinker.

:iagree:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2020, 12:37:59 AM
:iagree:

+2 or tinker small even as you have scissors on your keychain

Offline Helvetica Bold

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 12:50:54 AM
tinker small even as you have scissors on your keychain

I suggested a Spartan upthread and got no response. I think he's hung up on having the hook. :D  Fair enough!
Rambler

Offline SirZanos

Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 01:51:26 AM
I suggested a Spartan upthread and got no response. I think he's hung up on having the hook. :D  Fair enough!
Hey yeah sorry about that! Had a lot of replies and kinda soaking in a lot.
I do like having the Hook more than I ever thought I would. But mostly, I’ve discovered that I want those larger sized scissors that the Climber or Compact come with. Half the time I had to swap to my Explorer to cut with, over my Rambler.

But if the scissors weren’t such a necessity, I’d definitely go that route!

Offline SirZanos

Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 01:57:03 AM

That’s my bad for not putting more emphasis on the corkscrew. I really prefer it over the Phillips, in general. Especially with the added mini screwdriver.

The Super Tinker was definitely on my list, to begin with. My only concern is the over-torquing stories I’ve seen. And the loss of a corkscrew, of course.

I won’t rule it out, but that’s my whole problem. I’m super indecisive. Lol

If I end up preferring the Climber I may have to go down another rabbit hole and pick between the Super Tinker and Climber.....

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #28 on: December 06, 2020, 02:15:30 AM
Between the two I would go Climber.  The can opener can work on Phillips, some torx screws, Robertson screws, works as a scraper.  Small blade is great to have, bottle cap opener better as mini pry bar.  Finally Climber is less expensive. 

:climber:

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 02:16:30 AM
Could also just make or buy a Yeoman and have the best of all worlds...
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%