Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber vs Compact

Poll

Compact or Climber w/ Rambler

Climber
18 (48.6%)
Compact
19 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: Climber vs Compact
Reply #30 on: December 06, 2020, 02:18:49 AM
Hey yeah sorry about that! Had a lot of replies and kinda soaking in a lot.
I do like having the Hook more than I ever thought I would. But mostly, I’ve discovered that I want those larger sized scissors that the Climber or Compact come with. Half the time I had to swap to my Explorer to cut with, over my Rambler.

But if the scissors weren’t such a necessity, I’d definitely go that route!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries. :)

Agree with the Climber supporters, then.  :cheers:
Rambler

Offline SirZanos

Reply #31 on: December 06, 2020, 02:21:14 AM
Could also just make or buy a Yeoman and have the best of all worlds...
This was my original idea and plan in a previous post I made. But currently it’s not in the cards for me. It would probably be my preference, as I don’t really need a pry bar, and the combo would work fine for the rare flathead only, in electronics. I’d just hate losing the Small Blade, probably.

While I feel like it competes against the Super Tinker, I’d probably end up choosing the Yeoman. I’ve never owned a Yeoman, but it really looks like my ideal SAK. Shame they don’t make them anymore.

be Offline bismouth

Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 12:40:42 PM
I would say the Climber.  One of the biggest things you lose between the Compact and Climber is the Phillips driver tip on the can opener, which you listed as one of the main tools you tend to use. 

Some people mod the profile of the combo tool to make it usable as a Phillips, which if that interests you the Compact would work.

I’ve been looking for this particular mod for a futur yeoman mod, have you any source ?

The search engine is not really helping when used for « combo tool mod »

Thanks a lot

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Climber vs Compact
Reply #33 on: December 06, 2020, 01:22:23 PM
I’ve been looking for this particular mod for a futur yeoman mod, have you any source ?

The search engine is not really helping when used for « combo tool mod »

Thanks a lot

I can’t remember who did it, but there are a couple members here who have done it.  Although, the Yeoman already has an inline phillips so I’m not sure why you would want to reprofile the combo tool to work as a phillips.

us Offline Sidney Porter

Reply #34 on: December 06, 2020, 02:53:48 PM
As far as scales the climber also gives you the option of the nylon stayglow. If you have never had nylon and you like glow in the dark

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #35 on: December 06, 2020, 03:32:20 PM
I voted Climber namely because of the Awl.  Mrs R showed me how to sew with the Awl and crochet with the hook, both on my Climber.  I did a week in the wilderness with a Climber, with no complaints.  I've never heard a complaint from a Compact carrier.  There's not many cans that aren't pull tabs anymore, and most bottles are twist offs.  Then again, most screws are Philips anymore.  I think the Compact, in conjunction with a keychain tool, would be a great carry.
Barry

Offline SirZanos

Reply #36 on: December 06, 2020, 05:38:12 PM
Alright guys, I’ve picked the Climber! And it’s on its way!

Perhaps one day I’ll get the Compact, too. But I went with the Climber this time, because I ultimately knew what I was getting into, since I already have the Explorer.

Maybe after carrying the Climber for a good 6 months I’ll consider the Compact again, at that time. And if I’m still in love with the Climber, I’ll just grab some Plus scales.

Thanks a lot for all the input, and I hope that this post helps someone else with this question in the future!

Feel free to continue posting your opinions and casting your votes, though!

be Offline bismouth

Reply #37 on: December 06, 2020, 10:34:43 PM
I can’t remember who did it, but there are a couple members here who have done it.  Although, the Yeoman already has an inline phillips so I’m not sure why you would want to reprofile the combo tool to work as a phillips.

Yeah, sorry for my English.

If the mod of the combo tool is successful, it would avoid me to do a Yeoman mod :D and sacrifice a Compact and a Explorer as my primary need is 2 layers and something to work on philips heads (and yes I need a corkscrew)

Well, if you find the link to the mod, let me know !

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #38 on: December 07, 2020, 01:58:10 AM
Yeah, sorry for my English.

If the mod of the combo tool is successful, it would avoid me to do a Yeoman mod :D and sacrifice a Compact and a Explorer as my primary need is 2 layers and something to work on philips heads (and yes I need a corkscrew)

Well, if you find the link to the mod, let me know !

I‘ve done that mod before. It is very easy. All I did was to use a dremel to remove a bit of material at the top edge. Please see pictures below. I like it better as a screwdriver that way, but it doesn‘t beat the can opener on Alox!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #39 on: December 07, 2020, 02:08:22 AM
They should make the compact but instead of the corkscrew put the philips and switch out the 91 regular scales for the 93 alox ones!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

be Offline bismouth

Reply #40 on: December 07, 2020, 08:54:23 AM
I‘ve done that mod before. It is very easy. All I did was to use a dremel to remove a bit of material at the top edge. Please see pictures below. I like it better as a screwdriver that way, but it doesn‘t beat the can opener on Alox!

(Image removed from quote.)

:woohoo: Thanks ! that's perfect!

be Offline bismouth

Reply #41 on: December 07, 2020, 08:58:48 AM
They should make the compact but instead of the corkscrew put the philips and switch out the 91 regular scales for the 93 alox ones!
JR

I've got something like that, but I'm not convince by the philips as a "backtool":

us Offline Frailer

Reply #42 on: December 07, 2020, 03:26:35 PM

Interesting modification!  I have a couple of knives that serve as "guinea pigs" for minor mods like this one, such as a Waiter with a semi-sharpened combo tool for openening packages.  I think I'll try out this one as well.  Thanks for the idea!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #43 on: December 07, 2020, 03:33:37 PM
I've got something like that, but I'm not convince by the philips as a "backtool":
See I think that would be a perfect little compact, if the hook had the file, you’d have both screwdrivers (full size) plus the can opener and a knife, just not that one with the rounded tip,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #44 on: December 07, 2020, 04:01:41 PM
Interesting modification!  I have a couple of knives that serve as "guinea pigs" for minor mods like this one, such as a Waiter with a semi-sharpened combo tool for openening packages.  I think I'll try out this one as well.  Thanks for the idea!

:woohoo: Thanks ! that's perfect!

:hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #45 on: December 07, 2020, 08:36:44 PM

Glad you saw this and provided pics.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #46 on: December 07, 2020, 09:26:26 PM
  :hatsoff: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!