Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small Blade Showdown

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Small Blade Showdown
on: December 05, 2020, 05:30:14 PM
With the Minimalist SAK Challenge in the books, I've been doing some more thinking. 

The Minimalist SAK I chose for the Challenge didn't have a small blade.  So paradoxically, my minimalist month wasn't quite as minimal as it could be since sometimes this year I have had something else on my keys or in my pocket.  I did find myself wanting a small blade from time to time. 

Then I got to thinking about exactly which one.  Do I switch from the Compact to the Climber?  Do I put the Micra back on my keyring?  Is the Bantam a good compromise?  Do I put a Classic or a MiniChamp in my pocket? 

More than a larger blade, it seems to me that a small blade needs to be easily accessible.  The small blade can cover 80% of cutting tasks, but only if it has the advantage of being more easily unfolded than the scissors or large blade.  It can open a package, a letter, a packet of snacks.... but to me, a small blade is an all-purpose life-hack... it can "start" jobs that you can easily do by hand - things that you can normally tear, poke, pick, or peel by hand are made easier with a quick start using a small blade.  Often, after the initial nick with a blade, the rest is quick work by hand. 

Although the Micra has grown on me this year more than in the past three years... after all this time, having to open it to access the blade is a disadvantage, it seems.  I'd sooner use the scissors I just opened, than unfold the knife blade.  That said, I have to admit, that the blade is a formidable opponent to the Vic Classic. 

I'm still a bit cold on the Classic though.  To make matters worse, The MiniChamp offers me too many choices for a quick unmindful task.

The small blade on a 75mm discontinued Victorinox would probably be excellent.... too bad they're discontinued.

So, what's the best small blade out there?  It would have to be an outside-accessible tool, which takes the Micra out of the running.  It would have to be small (duh) but a medium SAK could still qualify.

Style, Squirt, Splice, Dime, Classic, Rambler, Prybrid X?  Something else?

:nanadance:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Small Blade Showdown
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:49:56 PM
I think Wenger's 65mm or Vic's 74.  Both are hard to beat.  I'd pack a Wenger every day but I don't want to beat mine up since there's no more coming down the line.
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:54:51 PM
I think Wenger's 65mm or Vic's 74.  Both are hard to beat.  I'd pack a Wenger every day but I don't want to beat mine up since there's no more coming down the line.

This is a major concern for me too.  I never pulled the trigger on getting a 74mm Vic, so I can stay in blissful ignorance of it's advantages.  The 74mm Vics and many of the Leatherman keychain tools being discontinued leaves this niche of MTs in need of something that you're not afraid to use regularly.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 07:54:18 PM
As you say; lots of good options there.  I'm going to throw another at you just to muddy the waters further; the Boker Mini Tech Tool.  One of the best small blades out there IMO.

https://www.boker.de/en/search/index/sSearch/mini+tech?p=1

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 08:12:30 PM
How about a Popular?
Large blade and small blade. Both accessible from the outside. Ultra thin design, weighs next to nothing and durable Alox  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 12:16:29 AM
Sir Vic and I are on the same wavelength it seems.  The "other" 84mm SAK like that Popular or Pocket Pal have a very fine small blade.  Hope these pics help some. 
IMG_20201205_230250916.jpg
* IMG_20201205_230250916.jpg (Filesize: 257.25 KB)
IMG_20201205_231156691.jpg
* IMG_20201205_231156691.jpg (Filesize: 203.71 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 12:33:53 AM
Sir Vic and I are on the same wavelength it seems.  The "other" 84mm SAK like that Popular or Pocket Pal have a very fine small blade.  Hope these pics help some.

That's a very helpful picture to put everything in perspective.  You're right the Other Vics do have a nicely sized smaller blade. 

Also worth noting is that the 58mm does have a significantly more narrow blade - it's not just my imagination.

I just figure this would be a good topic for idle banter and a bit of to and fro...  Not that I'll decide that one is the best.   They all have some advantages in the right situation. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%