Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Backspring Questions

Offline THWEET

• New User
Backspring Questions
on: December 09, 2020, 02:34:34 AM
I was wondering about putting an awl onto a Vic Yeoman for myself. I've been poking around for some clues but haven't found anything about my specific question; which is, can you swap the original backspring from the in-line phillips/mag glass layer of say an Explorer for the backspring from the openers layer? They look similar enough. I've included a cropped picture from the user comis on his thread about his "Mountain Yeoman". Would this work? Should I use the older style of mag glass with the grey housing? would I need to modify the shape of anything? The housing, backspring or otherwise? Would I have too much or too little spring tension? Just my thoughts. Any insights? Thanks in advance.

* Vic Explorer Crop.jpg (Filesize: 17.98 KB)

Offline ComboTool

Re: Backspring Questions
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 09:08:02 AM
I see at least two problems with this. First, the opener backspring is thinner than the Phillips layer. This can be solved by using two opener backsprings with spacers besides the Phillips/magnifier, but then the thickness advantage of the Yeoman over a regular Explorer becomes quite thin (see what I did here?). Second, the magnifier would protrude a lot in resting position. The old style magnifier is smaller so this may improve things a bit but I'm not sure it would be enough. I guess you'll have to try it to be sure, please let us know how this goes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%