Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

driver?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
driver?
on: January 14, 2009, 06:57:21 AM
I don,t understand the 1/4 driver. it is for sockets right? how do you use it? I know how it fits in a socket but do you keep a box of sockets but no ratchet? I can't think of a scenario in the last seven years when I have used it but maybe I don't understand the full potential. any thoughts are appreciated.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Re: driver?
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:06:43 AM
It is made for sockets or if you have Sogs 1/4 inch adaptor http://sogknives.com/store/QTR-SKT.html you can use standard screwdriver bits.
Dennis

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:17:05 AM
Well I use mine really only for my home haunt. I kep several sockets in a nail bag I wear when setting up the thing. That way if I need to mend the cemetary fence, or fix a pup up I dont have to leave people there to keep everyone out. I can just fix it on the spot. But I have no use for the driver any other time.
S

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:37:21 PM
Here's a picture from my recent review on the Gerber EAB.  In the picture, I used a screwdriver bit on my powerlock socket adaptor to disassemble the EAB knife:

This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 01:28:24 AM
where is the pic?

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:02:42 AM
Is the picture not showing up?  ???  Can anybody else see it?  It's nothing special, it just shows a screwdriver bit attachment on the socket adaptor.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:13:46 AM
I can see it.. I am using Mozilla Firefox, though..
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 04:26:23 AM
I can see the pic :tu:

As for the 1/4 driver...it can be used with the SOG bit adapter like WH867 said. 

I've used mine with regular sockets when I didn't want a big clunky ratchet attached (like when I'm taking apart other SOGs).

I recently been EDCing a borrowed Powerlock 2.0 recently, and noticed the new 1/4 drivers have a locking notch so you can lock it in an "L" shape...like the SOG Phillips driver.  Good idea IMO.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:42:13 AM
I tried the funny driver thing on my Powerlock the other day, and it fits together neatly enough.

However, I was using a socket, which I had to retrieve from my socket set, which also had a ratchet, so I very quickly switched over to the ratchet, as I couldn't get enough torque using the Powerlock. I toyed with the idea of trying the driver at 90 degrees (i.e. half opened) to get more leverage, but wasn't sure that it would take it.

I can see the benefits or screw driver bits though, I didn't realise there was a hex adapter too, I'm off to 'Tools Needed'
I used to come here a lot.

Offline doinitall89

• He who is not busy living is busy dying -Bob Dylan
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 07:32:45 PM
I've never actually used one myself but I like the different thinking behind it.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 04:24:41 PM
I used a generic adapter from a tool set I had on my Paratool - it works OK, but wobbles a bit. Does anyone know if paying for the SOG version prevents this?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:15:08 PM
I used a generic adapter from a tool set I had on my Paratool - it works OK, but wobbles a bit. Does anyone know if paying for the SOG version prevents this?

On the Powerlock, it's not an adaptor like on say a Leatherman where you stick it over the phillips driver, it's an actual 1/4" tool with a spring around it. It's used for the 1/4" sockets that you get in socket sets etc? If you see what I mean. I'll get a pic up later of I get the chance.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 05:32:44 PM
If you mean the type that SOG sell as spares, that's what I have - with a wire spring bit around the edge. It just doesn't hold on to the adapter I have very tightly. I'll go look at the powerlock and see.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 05:35:19 PM
If you mean the type that SOG sell as spares, that's what I have - with a wire spring bit around the edge. It just doesn't hold on to the adapter I have very tightly. I'll go look at the powerlock and see.

Yeah that sounds like the same thing. It fits pretty snugly into the square hole in standard sockets - diagonally from memory.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:47 AM
Hmm, I shall have to go tinker around in my toolboxes and see if I have one that fits better then - I think the problem is that it's not deep enough to hold it firmly. I compared it to the picture on the SOG site and that seems deeper.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 02:23:13 AM
I have the SOG one and it is wobbly when on. It is thinner than other 1/4" drive bit adaptor I have thou, and since I pack it in my ski kit to use with #3 phillips I suppose it's worth it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%