Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread

pomsbz · 495 · 17620

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread
Reply #480 on: April 15, 2020, 09:00:40 AM
Thanks!

Just tried opening a can with the combo tool. Wow but that sucked badly. I'd assumed it would be as easy and pleasant to use as the opener on my LM Charge which is also backwards action. Boy was I wrong. The combo tool is thick and blunt, there isn't much grip on the 84mm tool and the corkscrew and keyring dug into my hand hard enough to leave marks that still haven't faded. The edge of the can is jagged on both sides. I'd call using this thing on this knife a penance. Emergencies only. I'm not a fan of the regular SAK front opener but it's a sheer joy in comparison to the combo tool! It is hereby relegated to opening bottles only.

Ohhh yea, one of the reasons why the combo tool remains only on one of my SAKs. And that is a dedicated food prep SAK at this point
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #481 on: April 19, 2020, 03:16:37 PM
Carry for the past few days. A little fixie and my Spartan. Not that the fixie can do anything the Spartan can't (except bushcraft type stuff which isn't relevant at home) but it does look great and it's fun to be able to wear it for an extended period being that I'm stuck indoors anyway.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #482 on: April 19, 2020, 03:20:55 PM
Great pair.   :like:.  How do you carry your little fixed blade?  Pocket sheath?
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #483 on: April 19, 2020, 03:35:41 PM
Great pair.   :like:.  How do you carry your little fixed blade?  Pocket sheath?

I tried a pocket sheath, shown below but clips and me don't get on, whether knives, sheaths or pistols.

I'm currently using the included vertical belt sheath but am trying to work out a better solution. Carry is about 4 o'clock. Basically due to some 'slight' excess poundage I can't actually see my belt with ease so re-sheathing is significantly problematic. I can't do it 'blind' as I do with my folders. A friend suggested putting a finger along the spine of the blade to guide it but it being such a small blade the first time I tried it I ran the tip deep into my finger (yes I'm a dufus :D ). I'm a big fan of horizontal sheaths for comfort and not attracting attention but I'm not sure it could solve the problem for the same reason.  I might try making one anyway as I've got a good pattern in mind for the leather and I've never made a fixie sheath before. A pocket sheath would work well but as mentioned clips don't work for me. I think the correct answer is a dangler, getting a dangler clip is cheap and easy, I like the Casstrom No3 or I could make one easily enough,  but although that's a good solution for an outdoor setup and a bigger fixie, it's not really for something like this. A neck sheath would also not work, I wear dress shirts usually. Of course there's the idea of losing weight, I'm working on it...   :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:46:45 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #484 on: April 19, 2020, 03:44:50 PM
Ouch!  I was not a fan of horizontal sheaths a while back.  When I got my Izula I carried it in my pocket with the included sheath.  It was not to my liking.  I looked around to a solution or sheath but being such a small knife it my search lead me nowhere.  Neck carry was an option but I do have better knives for neck carry. 

I sewed on some loops to the Esee sheath and now carry it at 1ish o'clock.  I'm a lefty so I point to handle inwards but I can get to my knife with either hand.  Maybe you can modify the sheath you pictured somehow to carry horizontal?

My mod was supposed to be temporary to see if I liked how it carried but its held up so I am still using this set up.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51201.msg2089996.html#msg2089996
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #485 on: April 19, 2020, 04:38:00 PM
Ouch!  I was not a fan of horizontal sheaths a while back.  When I got my Izula I carried it in my pocket with the included sheath.  It was not to my liking.  I looked around to a solution or sheath but being such a small knife it my search lead me nowhere.  Neck carry was an option but I do have better knives for neck carry. 

I sewed on some loops to the Esee sheath and now carry it at 1ish o'clock.  I'm a lefty so I point to handle inwards but I can get to my knife with either hand.  Maybe you can modify the sheath you pictured somehow to carry horizontal?

My mod was supposed to be temporary to see if I liked how it carried but its held up so I am still using this set up.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51201.msg2089996.html#msg2089996

Good job! I would still have to default to 4 o'clock though, anywhere else wouldn't be comfortable.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #486 on: April 19, 2020, 05:07:20 PM
 :salute:.  Figured since you have leather skills you could use the sheath and figure out a good solution.  I'm sure you will.  Its a great little blade.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #487 on: April 19, 2020, 08:27:15 PM
:salute:.  Figured since you have leather skills you could use the sheath and figure out a good solution.  I'm sure you will.  Its a great little blade.   

Thanks!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #488 on: December 01, 2020, 03:37:49 PM
Long time no post. Again!

Here's a wallet I made, don't think I showed the pics yet. It's been in my pocket for 6 months already and working perfectly.

Same old Spartan with dyed nylon scales in the pouch. Now showing some nice wear. Used multiple times a day, you can't beat a Spartan!

I just got some polished micarta scales for it from etsy.

Other than that not much to report. I returned my Charge AL to factory configuration after finding the parts I'd taken out for my mod hiding in the bottom of the cars glove compartment.  :D I thought I lost them years ago! I still miss the ability to store a bit in the handle like I had in my Skeletool. One of my mods was a second bit holder specifically to answer that problem. I've put a bit card in the pouch with the bits which actually get used (metric) and that's now in the pouch with the LM.

My Sharpwerks pry bar broke, bought in 2014, the maker is supplying a replacement. Good service!

I have a new pocket watch on the way, looking forward! I'll post a new EDC shot when I have it together with the spartan with new scales.

https://www.gothamwatch.com/products/gotham-mens-gun-plated-stainless-steel-analog-quartz-date-luminous-pocket-watch-gwc14109bbk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #489 on: December 01, 2020, 04:17:00 PM
 :waving:

Nice wallet!  Like the new scales!

Is there a story behind that pry bar?  :dwts:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #490 on: December 01, 2020, 05:29:19 PM
:waving:

Nice wallet!  Like the new scales!

Is there a story behind that pry bar?  :dwts:

My wife borrowed it....  :rofl:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #491 on: December 02, 2020, 08:47:19 AM
i'm terrified and amazed that your wife can break a solid metal bar
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #492 on: December 12, 2020, 08:29:31 PM
New pocket watch, been carrying the old one for 6 years now and it's done a great job but this one is a nice step up. The old one was cheap, not very easy to read, had a plastic face, no date and zero water proofing. This is a big step up while still answering my requirements for arabic numerals, something not often found on pocket watches which pander to the roman numerals more common with the era of the pocket watch.

Old one:

New One:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #493 on: December 12, 2020, 11:24:29 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #494 on: December 13, 2020, 01:10:41 AM
 :like: I like that a lot.