Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Sandrin knife owners here?

zrxoa1 · 17 · 1148

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
on: December 15, 2020, 06:45:13 PM
Just got the Torino last week. Still trying to decide if it was worth the money...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any Sandrin knife owners here?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 12:50:15 AM
 :worthless:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 01:23:51 AM
:worthless:
The knife or my picture less post??

Haha

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 04:42:25 AM
That's a neat looking knife! 
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 01:33:50 PM
That's a neat looking knife!

+1

Like the choil and the wide blade. Is it sharp? How are you liking it so far?

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline David

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 03:59:49 PM
Interesting looking knife!   :tu:.   :like:
Hold Fast

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 07:43:11 PM
Here’s the scoop....

I came across this brand via an Instagram post by Nick Shabazz. I was instantly intrigued. 

Sandrin is an Italian knife company. They make blades from polyhedral tungsten carbide. This gives the blade a hardness rating of 71. Their procedure allows the blade to not be brittle.

This is supposed to make an edge that is 10x better at holding an edge. The trade off is its supppsed to be very tough to sharpen.

One video I watched before buying was a guy using a different model Sandrin knife to cut through triple twine rope. His previous knife holding record was 800 cuts before the knife became dulled. His test on the Sandrin knife went to 1540 cuts.

It showed him cutting a variety of hard objects without damage to the blade edge.  He also damaged a grinding wheel without any damage to the knife blade.

It all made for what I perceived as a nearly indestructible blade!!!  The Torino costs $199 USD. So I ordered one up. My thought was this miracle knife was going to replace my many Spyderco, Buck and Benchmade knives!!

It came. I was thrilled with its rough looks.

A few nights ago I was eating dinner and used the knife to cut some boneless chicken. I hit the fork tines a few times. No big deal for a tungsten carbide blade with a hardness rating of 71, right??

Wrong. Dulled the blade and left a ding in the edge!!!  Would not cut through paper without grabbing and tearing.

I grabbed my Victorinox diamond pen sharpener to see what I could do. Only made it worse. Got the ding out but destroyed the factory mirrored microbevel.

The company offered a sharpening service, for $20. After several back n forth emails with them, explaining the situation and my disappointment, I paid for the service and sent the knife off to them.

I just sent it so not sure when I’ll get it back. Turns out the US side of the company can resharpen the blade, but cannot redo the mirrored microbevel. That is done on special equipment at the Italian factory.

I guess my expectations were too high.  I’ll get the knife back with its new sharpened blade and decide what to do then. Keep it or sell it.

The pic below...

The cut on the left was from my Spyderco Autonomy 2. The right, the screwed up blade of the Torino.

https://usa.sandrinknives.com/the-torino/

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 10:31:12 PM
Ether got one.  It looks like a very cool knife and yes the Tungsten Carbide blade is intriguing.  Real bummer about your experience.  Hope it'll come back in top shape tho the last of a mirror edge is a bit disappointing. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 02:53:01 AM
Bummer. Sorry the knife didnt perform as it should have. Hopefully it'll come back better.
Hold Fast

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 04:27:31 AM
Nice knife.

The issue with sharpening was useful to know , and may give anyone interested in this knife , something to consider before spending the money on one.

Thanks for sharing.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 12:45:16 AM
Here’s the scoop....

I came across this brand via an Instagram post by Nick Shabazz. I was instantly intrigued. 

Sandrin is an Italian knife company. They make blades from polyhedral tungsten carbide. This gives the blade a hardness rating of 71. Their procedure allows the blade to not be brittle.

This is supposed to make an edge that is 10x better at holding an edge. The trade off is its supppsed to be very tough to sharpen.

One video I watched before buying was a guy using a different model Sandrin knife to cut through triple twine rope. His previous knife holding record was 800 cuts before the knife became dulled. His test on the Sandrin knife went to 1540 cuts.

It showed him cutting a variety of hard objects without damage to the blade edge.  He also damaged a grinding wheel without any damage to the knife blade.

It all made for what I perceived as a nearly indestructible blade!!!  The Torino costs $199 USD. So I ordered one up. My thought was this miracle knife was going to replace my many Spyderco, Buck and Benchmade knives!!

It came. I was thrilled with its rough looks.

A few nights ago I was eating dinner and used the knife to cut some boneless chicken. I hit the fork tines a few times. No big deal for a tungsten carbide blade with a hardness rating of 71, right??

Wrong. Dulled the blade and left a ding in the edge!!!  Would not cut through paper without grabbing and tearing.

I grabbed my Victorinox diamond pen sharpener to see what I could do. Only made it worse. Got the ding out but destroyed the factory mirrored microbevel.

The company offered a sharpening service, for $20. After several back n forth emails with them, explaining the situation and my disappointment, I paid for the service and sent the knife off to them.

I just sent it so not sure when I’ll get it back. Turns out the US side of the company can resharpen the blade, but cannot redo the mirrored microbevel. That is done on special equipment at the Italian factory.

I guess my expectations were too high.  I’ll get the knife back with its new sharpened blade and decide what to do then. Keep it or sell it.

(Image removed from quote.)

The pic below...

The cut on the left was from my Spyderco Autonomy 2. The right, the screwed up blade of the Torino.

https://usa.sandrinknives.com/the-torino/

Finally got the Torino back from being sharpened.  Can say it is very sharp. Can’t say I’m impressed with the look of the blade, though.

But, it’s a work knife and I’ll use it as such.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 06:19:56 PM
Yeah I got one... it is an ugly knife. Colored mine. The lock is hard on my fingers...
However, mine came sharp and it it is a performer. I'm not carrying it, but I use it to break down boxes from my online-shopping binges to hide the evidence. Holds an edge like nothing.
round2_03.jpg
* round2_03.jpg (Filesize: 119.57 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 06:23:33 PM
Yeah I got one... it is an ugly knife. Colored mine. The lock is hard on my fingers...
However, mine came sharp and it it is a performer. I'm not carrying it, but I use it to break down boxes from my online-shopping binges to hide the evidence. Holds an edge like nothing.
The factory edge was great until it hit the tine of a fork while cutting food. Took a chip out. In trying to fix it, I boogered up the edge. So sent it back in to be repaired.

Unfortunately, you lose that mirrored microbevel.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 10:42:56 AM
The factory edge was great until it hit the tine of a fork while cutting food. Took a chip out. In trying to fix it, I boogered up the edge. So sent it back in to be repaired.

Unfortunately, you lose that mirrored microbevel.

What did you sharpen it with? Do diamonds work?

I guess that is my next project... put a mirror edge on this beast (bet that takes a day)

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 02:31:33 PM
What did you sharpen it with? Do diamonds work?

I guess that is my next project... put a mirror edge on this beast (bet that takes a day)
I used the Victorinox diamond pen. I didn’t get the angle correct and dulled it quickly.

The US Sandrin dealer uses a resin bonded diamond wheel.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 02:51:21 PM
I used the Victorinox diamond pen. I didn’t get the angle correct and dulled it quickly.

The US Sandrin dealer uses a resin bonded diamond wheel.

Thanks, will try it on my Lansky.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 03:23:28 PM
Thanks, will try it on my Lansky.
Good luck!  Let me know how it goes!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00