Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which multitool should I buy?

Jona · 49 · 2118

de Offline Jona

Which multitool should I buy?
on: December 22, 2020, 05:30:50 PM
Hello multitool-community,

please excuse that my text has got a bit longer...

I am new here in this forum, so I want to tell you a bit about myself:
I’m a 20 year old German, so please forgive me if my English is not perfect sometimes.
I have just started studying engineering and in the last few months I have started to get interested in the topic of EDC. My hobby are old small bikes and other mechanical things, so there is often something to work on.
My current pocket-EDC is a Victorinox Small Tinker, a Manker E02 II flashlight, a Fisher Space Pen bullet and a small BIC lighter in a nice leather organizer. That basically is a good EDC-kit for me, although I have not yet used the lighter, since I do not smoke. But I think it could come handy for lighting a fire outdoors or shrinking some heat shrink tubing in the garage or elsewhere.

I now want to add a multitool to my EDC equipment. Not because I particularly miss one, but because I think that it could become handy. I will not always carry the multitool with me, because there is not enough space in my pockets. But when I for example go hiking outdoors or riding one of my bikes, I think a multitool would be a great thing.

As I live in Germany, the multitool must not have one-handed opening blades.
I have considered the Leatherman Wave+ 2H which is a version of the Wave with two-handed opening blades that Leatherman sells in Germany.
The Leatherman rebar also is interesting, as well as the Victorinox SwissTool spirit.
And what about the SOG Powerlock?

What should that multitool be capable of?

It depends on my EDC kit a bit, because I miss a pair of scissors there. I am thinking about exchanging my Small Tinker with a Compact or with a Super Tinker to get a pair of scissors. The problem with the Compact is that it hasn’t got a Philips, which I want to carry with me in my EDC-kit, so I would have to go to the 3-layer Super Tinker. When I do that exchange, the multitool does not need a pair of scissors.

I like to have a fine needle nose pliers, saw and file, serrated blade would be nice. I don’t need an awl, since my SAK already has one. I like to have exchangeable bits, but is that narrower bit of the Wave really as good as the 3D-Philips on the rebar? On the other hand, my SAK already has a Philips…
I’d like to have the option to connect standard ¼” sockets to the tool, thats a plus point for the SOG. But both leathermans could do that with an adapter, I think. And if I carry sockets, I can also carry an adapter.
I think a pocket-clip is a nice thing, that speaks for the Wave+.

Do you maybe have a tip for me? Which multitool could be suited for my purposes?
Is the Super Tinker a lot bigger than the Small Tinker?
Does the SAK Philips replace the one from the Wave? The Wave could for example always hold a Torx bit or something else...

Nice regards from south-Germany,
Jona 

Offline Rab21

Re: Which multitool should I buy?
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 06:12:00 PM
Hi Jona

They may not completely fit the bill but there is a knifeless model of the Rebar called the Rebar EDC that has scissors or I was Also recommended the swisstool spirit xc.

I've started carrying a skeletool but prior to this I had a leatherman juice S2.  Might be worth checking out the juice series,  now discontinued but you can still find them in quite a few places.

Good luck on the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:55:38 PM
Hello Jona and welcome to MTO

You should consider trying out Spirit XC plus set, it same as this but instead regular blade it has serrated blade. Plus set comes with L-wrench or ratchet

Also Bladeless Rebar is good choice just find adapter that fits on it and you can use 1/4 hex bits with it.

Only Tools Matters

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 10:54:14 PM
 :iagree:
Barry

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 11:27:16 PM
Hello and welcome Jona !    :cheers:

I'm partial to the Rebar myself so I would recommend that.   :tu:

de Offline Jona

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 09:06:54 AM
Hello,
thanks for your answers!
Are the swisstools very much better in quality than the leathermans?
The problem I have with the swisstools is the plierhead, I would like it more needlenose...
What about the SOG powertools? In comparison to a rebar they are quite a brick, arent't they?
Does that bit adapter for the rebar lock onto the screwdriver?

Why does nobody recommend a LM Wave?

Is the Victorinox Compact the only two-layer SAK with scissors?
Lots of questions...  :D

Have a nice christmas,
Jona

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 09:51:06 AM
LM Wave is fine, but you said no one hand opening blade.

I am not happy with SOG quality, the past decade. The powertools are still decent I think.

Swisstools feel a lot more precisely made, compared to LM. I have not bough a new LM in the past year, but people here are reporting a drop in quality.

I carry a LM ST300, when I do carry a large multitool, but I always have another smaller tool like the a LM Squirt or Victorinox Manager, with scissors on me.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline Jona

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 10:33:45 AM
Hi,
in Germany LM offers a version of the Wave without one-hand opening blades. So that would be an option.
How good is the driver on the Wave?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 12:06:02 AM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

All of the info above sounds about as good.or.beeter than anything I would recommend  :tu: So hopefully it has helped you some :salute:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 05:43:44 AM
Welcome Jona.  To address a few points that haven't ben answered yet: Yes, the Compact is the only two layer SAK with scissors.  The Super Tinker (91mm) is bigger in all dimensions than the Small Tinker (84mm).  If you are carrying this in an organizer I don't think that's a big difference.  There is a difference loose in a pocket, but I carry the Super Tinker or more ofter a Pioneer X all the time with no complaint.

The Super Tinker and the Compact are both great tools.  Different tool sets however.  If pairing with an MT I would go with the Compact.

You should understand that the back spring phillips on a SAK is no match for the phillips on any MT.  The back spring tool needs a lot of clearance to use, and can not take a lot of torque.  So the Compact or a Climber would pair well with any of the MTs mentioned above.

Pictures below are a Small Tinker in red scales, a Compact in black scales and a Super Tinker in US Flag scales.
IMG_1539.jpeg
* IMG_1539.jpeg (Filesize: 82.49 KB)
IMG_1540.jpeg
* IMG_1540.jpeg (Filesize: 90.54 KB)
- Steve

de Offline Jona

LM Wave 2-handed vs Vic Spirit XC
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 11:26:03 PM
Hello,

thanks for your welcome, Poncho and Steve! And also thanks for the pictures!

I have made some thoughts and these are the results:

I will order a Super Tinker for my EDC organizer. It'll replace the Small Tinker with no problem I think, and I've got the nice SAK scissors.
The multitool won't be part of my everyday and everywhere carry. So the Philips is a must-have, since I want to have one available for emergencies, even though I can see that it cannot compete with the one on a multitool.
Plus, I never need the corkscrew. So the Super Tinker is the way to go!

Now, what multitool to get? It should be a nice addition to the Super Tinker and will not always be carried.
The Rebar is out of my decision because I dont like the handling of the blades, saw and file due to inside tools.
So I have to decide betweed LM Wave 2H and Victorinox Spirit XC.
Those are different concepts, I know. LM got the diamond file, bit exchanger and eyeglass-screwdriver (no one in the Super Tinker so thats an advantage). The 2H Wave has no one-hand-opening, so there is no advantage to the Swisstool there.
The Spirit has the better build quality, chisel and package opener, only a serrated blade (which is fine since the SAK has a standard blade). I dont really need the bottle cap lifter and can opener, since the Super Tinker already got these. Is the Philips really a lot more slippery because of the polished finish?
I'm unsure which plier head I like more. Exchangeable cutters and nice needlenose vs more robust pliers. I would get the Sprit with the ratchet and bit kit. So the only advantage of the Wave's bit exchanger is the option to carry a different bit than a Philips in the multitool, for example a torx, if I haven't got LM bit kit/ VIC ratchet with me.

Difficult decision, I know. What would you recommend as a not-always addition to my EDC kit? I like build quality, but I dont like redundancy. At least not in my EDC.

Nice regards,
Jona   

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 11:44:41 PM
Jona, you will be happy with either option. Yes, the Victorinox will have less traction due to the polished stainless steel, but the handle geometry combats that. The Leatherman 2H Wave does have that removable eyeglass driver (as an eyeglass wearer, I have used that a time or two and find it very handy), and the flat Leatherman bits as well. The Vic does have better quality throughout, but the Leatherman is not that far behind...mind you I have also heard and seen a few photos indicating lesser quality control from Leatherman. With that said, I have bought quite a few recent Leathermans and I can honestly say I have not seen any issues (knock on wood).

Just review pros and cons, availability, and price. Either of those will do you nicely I think.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 01:18:35 AM
If you don't need heavy duty, and can find one, a SOG Paratool can be Lego-ed into exactly what you seek. The tool can be easily disassembled and the socket adapter added. Here's what I did with mine. And you get a plain edge and serrated blade. Plus the pliers are much more closer to what you seek.

* PC200014.jpg (Filesize: 25.73 KB)

de Offline Jona

Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 11:05:16 AM
Hi,

I've now ordered both LM and Victorinox. Then I can decide for one...

The modularity of SOG is nice, but the Paratool seems rather badly available in Germany.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 07:30:45 PM
I've now ordered both LM and Victorinox. Then I can decide for one...
Ah, the MTO way: get both! I'm surprised no one has suggested this option.
Welcome - you'll fit in well here.
(Your English is really good btw)

de Offline Jona

Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 08:24:39 PM
Hi Syncop8r,

yes, keeping both would be ideal, but moneywise I have to decide :dunno:

Welcome - you'll fit in well here.
(Your English is really good btw)
Thank you :)

I've ordered the Spirit XC Plus ratchet. That is the version with the serrated blade and scissors with the ratchet kit.
Now I've noticed that there also exists a version with both serrated and standard blade, but without scissors. But this version does not come with the ratchet kit, so I would have to buy the parts seperately. That would end up being about 70€ more expensive than the XC Plus, so I guess that's not worth it (that nearly gets a Rebar...). Also I then have the option to swap to a knive without scissors.
But let's see, maybe I prefere the Wave :)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 09:37:57 PM
I always miss the awl at work when I decided to take the Wave along.

Considering how slim the Spirit is, it's my one true multitool.
So many tools inside...

nl Offline nitram

Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 08:12:37 PM
I always miss the awl at work when I decided to take the Wave along.

Considering how slim the Spirit is, it's my one true multitool.
So many tools inside...

Didn’t you have a bit converted into an awl? :pok:

Between Wave and Spirit my choice would be Spirit too.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 08:13:18 PM

Didn’t you have a bit converted into an awl? :pok:

Between Wave and Spirit my choice would be Spirit too.

Yes, but it fell out...
Doesn't happen on the Spirit :D

de Offline Jona

Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 02:20:50 PM
Hi,

happy new year to all of you!

I now have both Wave and Spirit XC Plus on the table.
Wow, really hard to decide.
The Leatherman's quality is very good, better than I thought. It can really compete with the Victorinox.
The tools open seperately, I mean no other tools come along.
Is it normal on the Spirit that the pliers dont open straight? The Leatherman does that better.

I like the small screwdriver on the Spirit. It could open luster terminals, the Wave couldn't do that.
The Spirit has a better value for the price. I get the Spirit with the ratchet + extension for the price I pay for the Wave only.
The Spirit's blade is 3/4 serrated, and 1/4 straight. I would prefere a completely serrated blade, but that isn't available.

I tend to keeping the Spirit, because of the price. When I want to get the Spirit's functionality out of the Wave, I have to buy a seperate sheath and the Victorinox ratchet. So that would be about 60-70€ more exepensive, and that's half a Wave.

You would recommend the Spirit?

Regards,
Jona

Edit: Oh, and the Wave can crimp wire connectors. Thats another plus for the Wave.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:49:34 PM by Jona »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 02:52:34 PM
The Spirit it is then, if it fits you better.

The MT.O way is to keep them both, but only if you plan on collecting.  :tu:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 03:22:32 PM
I would take the Wave over the Spirit. I had a Spirit for a while but found it too fiddly to get tools out when my hands were dirty or wet. Also the Phillips on the Spirit tends to cam out easily . I also think that the pliers and wire cutters are better ion the Leatherman.

Lot's of folk like the Spirit but it's not for me.

de Offline Jona

Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 04:17:37 PM
Hi Steve,
why do you prefere the Leatherman's plierhead?
The Victorinox' seems more stable to me. The exchangeable cutters are great though.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 04:41:56 PM
Hi Steve,
why do you prefere the Leatherman's plierhead?
The Victorinox' seems more stable to me. The exchangeable cutters are great though.

The cutters are better even on the older Wave without the replaceable cutters. The Spirit cutters are softer and damage more easily on harder wire..

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 04:27:03 PM
I agree with all that Steve said.
However, I love my Spirit too.

For me it depends on the task at hand.
I think of the Wave as the better workhorse, while the Spirit is the better general EDC in my opinion.

For example, the following points are my personal observations. Others may have made totally different experiences...

- Pro Wave -
Pliers -> Do you need needle nose? -> Wave
Wire cutters -> Wave (old or new)
Drivers -> Wave (remember, there is an extender available)
Knife blades -> Wave (more solid, bigger, oho, 1 plain & 1 serrated)
Pocket clip -> Wave (non on the Spirit)

-  Pro Spirit -
Scissors -> Spirit (after mod)
Chisel/wire-stripper -> Spirit
Awl -> Spirit
Reach of drivers -> Spirit
Form factor/weight -> Spirit (if no additional bit kits are bought, otherwise Wave)
QA -> Spirit

- Tie -
File -> a tie for me, Wave has diamond, Spirit better normal file

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:37:01 PM by McStitchy »

de Offline Jona

Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 10:10:44 AM
Hi,

I have now decided for the Leatherman Wave. It has better blades, the bit driver, I prefere its saw and file. Plus the Spirit I ordered had a minor damage, the bottle opener tool was a bit loose.

Are those scuffings on the plierhead and liner locks on the Leatherman normal?

PS: Is the Bit Kit worth it? Or should I rather get the extension only and put together a bit kit of standard hex bits myself?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:38:15 AM by Jona »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 11:46:50 AM
Good morning Jona  :hatsoff:

it's normal for the plier head to rub inside the handles a bit, yes.

Normal hex bits work ok in the extension, but sit a bit deeper. That's due to the double-sided LM bits being slightly longer.

The Leatherman bits work very good for me and seem to hold up well.

I'll add some pictures of my Wave In using for years....

Btw: Some play on the Spirits implements in closed position is normal. At least on my two examples.
resize-1399.jpg
* resize-1399.jpg (Filesize: 137.06 KB)
resize-1396.jpg
* resize-1396.jpg (Filesize: 235.55 KB)
resize-1397.jpg
* resize-1397.jpg (Filesize: 246.29 KB)
resize-1398.jpg
* resize-1398.jpg (Filesize: 250.38 KB)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 12:09:19 PM by McStitchy »

de Offline chapsjmg

• Frenchman
Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 12:50:12 PM

PS: Is the Bit Kit worth it? Or should I rather get the extension only and put together a bit kit of standard hex bits myself?

Do you know witch bits are  you potentially needing ?. The bit kit is not really cheap so think first about it ?

The bit extension itself has been done for double sided bits (size >= 30 mm ). The standard sized bits (25mm) sunk inside the adapter and you will need the plier to extract them. 

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 12:55:31 PM
Do you know witch bits are  you potentially needing ?. The bit kit is not really cheap so think first about it ?

The bit extension itself has been done for double sided bits (size >= 30 mm ). The standard sized bits (25mm) sunk inside the adapter and you will need the plier to extract them. 

I don't need pliers to extract them. A bit of a wiggle and a pull does the trick for me.
Just done that for the above pictures.
However, there could be tighter adapters than mine, or variations in hex bits.

I would suggest the LM bits though, yes.

EDIT:
That reminds me, some people reported problems with the LM bit extender some time ago, where the bits got stuck. The original Leatherman bits.
It was due to the retention ring overlapping at some point.
I had that with the bit adapter used for the Juice (fixed by shortening the retention ring).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:02:54 PM by McStitchy »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 01:03:45 PM
Hi,

I have now decided for the Leatherman Wave. It has better blades, the bit driver, I prefere its saw and file. Plus the Spirit I ordered had a minor damage, the bottle opener tool was a bit loose.

Are those scuffings on the plierhead and liner locks on the Leatherman normal?

I'm a bit late to the welcome party, but am glad to see you seem to be finding what you like. :cheers:   Personally, I too would favor the Spirit over Wave/Charge, it's just very different tool philosophy behind these two brands of MTs, and whichever fits your bill better.

In terms of bit kit, I think that's a highlight of the Wave/Charge with exchangeable bit, and I do think they have it's place, especially if you have some use for them.  However, if you use them very often, I would also recommend to check out the Wiha set of bits/tool, since they are better made and with higher precision(that's what I use for all the knife maintenance).

Good luck!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD