Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Protecting scales

Offline nolongerlurking27

Protecting scales
on: December 26, 2020, 12:02:59 PM
Hello knights I hope you all had a good Christmas !!
This year Santa brought me the 2020 deep river special edition classic. My query is, is there a way of protecting the scales if I carry it on my keys ?
I had another of the special edition ones a couple of years ago and I had to take it off after about a year as the design was starting to come off.
The little leather sock type case comes off quite easily.
Any advice would be appreciated

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Protecting scales
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 12:12:23 PM
What about a pouch?
Have a search for "Victorinox 4.0515".
It fits the Midnite Manager or Minichamp but might be fine for a Classic too  :dunno:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 12:30:20 PM
What I think would be ideal is a well fitting pouch that has a stretchy lanyard that you can attach to the keyring. :think:
My stock Rambler came with a suitably fitting (and free!) pouch, but that pouch has no lanyard attachment and falls off all the time. :rant:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 04:19:38 PM
I have seen one on Amazon that’s more like a mini leather key ring from a company called “tuff luv”
Has anyone any experience of them ?

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 04:25:49 PM
Can some one in your family sew?? Sew up a nice sleeve with elastic at the top so it will fit snug but come off easy.. Justa thought..  :drink:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 04:26:59 PM
Can some one in your family sew?? Sew up a nice sleeve with elastic at the top so it will fit snug but come off easy.. Justa thought..  :drink:

That’s not a bad idea thank you  :cheers:
Is there any paracord weaves/ knots that would work aswell?

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 07:27:38 PM
So mrs nolongerlurking27 suggested clear nail varnish on the scales , I cannot work out if this is madness or genius?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 07:37:55 PM
So mrs nolongerlurking27 suggested clear nail varnish on the scales , I cannot work out if this is madness or genius?
This is a UK site but I'm sure you can get it across the pond  :dunno: :tu:   

I think you might need to remove the scales first though (if you want to open said SAK afterwards  :think: )

https://www.toolstation.com/plastikote-quick-dry-clear-lacquer-spray-paint/p95217?store=ML&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAiA25v_BRBNEiwAZb4-ZcNn7erslAimibtFys2x6Bz3RztgAlWO3KvxmxbW81m8fOMQ5ry2ixoC2X4QAvD_BwE
They don't like it up 'em!

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 08:07:41 PM
 :iagree:
This is a UK site but I'm sure you can get it across the pond  :dunno: :tu:   

I think you might need to remove the scales first though (if you want to open said SAK afterwards  :think: )

https://www.toolstation.com/plastikote-quick-dry-clear-lacquer-spray-paint/p95217?store=ML&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAiA25v_BRBNEiwAZb4-ZcNn7erslAimibtFys2x6Bz3RztgAlWO3KvxmxbW81m8fOMQ5ry2ixoC2X4QAvD_BwE

Ha that’s ideal I’m from/ live in the uk
Would just a thin coat work, also is it something I need to keep applying?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 08:45:58 PM
:iagree:
Ha that’s ideal I’m from/ live in the uk
Would just a thin coat work, also is it something I need to keep applying?
TBH I've never used it on a SAK (I'm in the Alox camp. No need  :D )
We used Clear on boots, in the 80's (basic training) but, if we got found out, it was "parade the guard" time :twak:

Not the best option for boots (cracked when you slammed your foot down) but "should" be ok for pocket use  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 10:58:27 PM
Be VERY careful if using clear nail polish. It doesn't go on evenly. I messed up a couple of old scales using it. Some brands contain acetone or other solvent which etches/crazes the scales.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 11:58:37 PM
A small drawstring pouch might work, but not sure the extra bulk would be worth it.

A clear packing tape might work like automotive “clear bra”. But I imagine it would be tough to do the rounded ends. Many designs only cover the flat-ish parts, so it might work well enough to protect the printed graphics.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 01:19:50 AM
I put clear Gorilla Tape over the hot-stamped emblem of a Mikov-SAK type recently.  The stuff is really tough--I use it for any repair where super glue isn't gonna work, and duct tape is better, but I don't want the design to be visible. It's also good packing tape. But, the residue is nasty, and gums up utility knives and scissors I use to cut it. Somewhat hard to get off too.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Crystal-Clear-Duct-Tape/dp/B07MY1ZYKF/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-lq2a1_0?cv_ct_cx=clear+gorilla+tape&dchild=1&keywords=clear+gorilla+tape&pd_rd_i=B07MY1ZYKF&pd_rd_r=e225a22f-625b-49b8-8536-ea963abafefb&pd_rd_w=JeX9c&pd_rd_wg=KYktR&pf_rd_p=52f9c563-bb87-44f4-9d9d-e1c03402d90f&pf_rd_r=FD9J94MW3CKPT4T6HP67&psc=1&qid=1609028289&sr=1-1-d3e58e83-6458-471c-a87e-175495b96a10

Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 11:15:39 PM
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions all very much appreciated  :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 03:56:09 PM
Keys/key chain carry can really do a number on SAK scales.  If you're set on carrying a cellidor-scaled SAK this way, a small pouch that attaches to your key ring would probably be your best bet.  Other options include:
  • Carrying an unprotected cellidor-scaled SAK on your key chain, with the understanding that the scales will get beat up and it will likely be a matter of time until the scales actually fall off.
  • Nylon-scaled SAKs seem to last somewhat longer in this application than cellidor, though the screen-printed(?) logo does not.
  • Alox is the ultimate choice, though it will still show wear, especially if colored.  And, of course, one loses the T&T.

Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 05:35:27 PM
Thanks for all this, the blue classic I carry as standard is very battered (part of its appeal) however I don’t want my deep diver to end the same.
I think that a cover is the best option

za Offline BobbyRsa

Reply #16 on: December 28, 2020, 06:13:45 PM
I put clear Gorilla Tape over the hot-stamped emblem of a Mikov-SAK type recently.  The stuff is really tough--I use it for any repair where super glue isn't gonna work, and duct tape is better, but I don't want the design to be visible. It's also good packing tape. But, the residue is nasty, and gums up utility knives and scissors I use to cut it. Somewhat hard to get off too.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Crystal-Clear-Duct-Tape/dp/B07MY1ZYKF/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-lq2a1_0?cv_ct_cx=clear+gorilla+tape&dchild=1&keywords=clear+gorilla+tape&pd_rd_i=B07MY1ZYKF&pd_rd_r=e225a22f-625b-49b8-8536-ea963abafefb&pd_rd_w=JeX9c&pd_rd_wg=KYktR&pf_rd_p=52f9c563-bb87-44f4-9d9d-e1c03402d90f&pf_rd_r=FD9J94MW3CKPT4T6HP67&psc=1&qid=1609028289&sr=1-1-d3e58e83-6458-471c-a87e-175495b96a10

Hi Cody. The biggest tip for duct tape/ gorrilla tape residue is WD40 works great. Use it the whole time.

Regards Bobby

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 08:04:50 PM
Thanks for all this, the blue classic I carry as standard is very battered (part of its appeal) however I don’t want my deep diver to end the same.
I think that a cover is the best option

FWIW, I’ve had a few knives come in over the years that had a piece of clear scotch tape on them and the scales underneath were shiny and perfect underneath. Usually the edges and perimeter were worn down and anything uncovered showed normal pocket and carry wear.

Where did your old one wear first? I’m guessing around the edges of the scales first from what I’ve seen if pad printed knives with significant wear.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 12:05:17 AM
Yes around the outside edge. Only noticed it when I sharpened the blade

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20