Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Minimal but not too......,, 772

No Life Club Posts: 1,378
Minimal but not too......,,
« on: December 28, 2020, 11:57:54 PM »
A “small” idea I’ve been playing with......carrying this small Squirt set without a larger multitool or SAK other than the Vagabond that always hangs in my back pocket.  I have the Knipex XS in that same pocket should I ever need a larger set of pliers as well as a 3” adjustable wrench.  Don’t know if I am brave enough though 😊.  For size reference that pouch was made for a Zippo lighter and goes nicely on a belt.  What do you think?       :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 1,536
Re: Minimal but not too......,,
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:19:06 AM »
Not enough tool for me but you will not know until you try either!

I do wish I could find any decent tiny Strippers other than the E4 too.
No Life Club Posts: 1,758
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 12:44:43 AM »
It's a great-looking set, and it looks like they fit really well in that pouch.    :tu:

Thinking about carrying them all together, though, it strikes me that there is a good deal of overlap between the tools on those three LMs.

You could probably cut down to the Vagabond, either the P4 or E4, and maybe the Knipex XS, without losing much capability.

As another option, the Squirts probably weigh about 2 ounces each, so 6 ounces all together.  The Rebar is only 6.7 ounces.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,666
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:20:23 AM »
I like the idea.  Those 3 squirts however are too similar other than plier, stripper, and scissor main tool.  Your Knipex covers pliers so no real need for the S4.  The Vagabond covers quite a lot so you might even could loose the S4.

If small pliers is a base you'd like covered then the S4 would be the one I'd loose since the Vagabond had scissors. 

:dunno:

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
I have carried the P4 with my current combo (Spirit and old Champion B) and of course needed the E4 when I was carrying the P4, etc. 😊  Since my current carry covers almost every need, it can get a little boring and where’s the fun in that? 😛. Need to continue the search for the perfect carry!!  So this should mix it up a bit.

Ezdog.....the ES4 has the same wire stripper head but I notice it too is starting to draw higher prices.  Maybe discontinued?       :cheers:
Sr. Member Posts: 318
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 01:06:05 AM »
I like the idea.  Those 3 squirts however are too similar other than plier, stripper, and scissor main tool.  Your Knipex covers pliers so no real need for the S4.  The Vagabond covers quite a lot so you might even could loose the S4.

If small pliers is a base you'd like covered then the S4 would be the one I'd loose since the Vagabond had scissors. 

:dunno:

Yes but what about having a backup? And a backup backup?  :pok:

3 is 1, 2 is none, and 1 means you owe someone (-1).  :tu:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,376 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
Yes but what about having a backup? And a backup backup?  :pok:

3 is 1, 2 is none, and 1 means you owe someone (-1).  :tu:

Absolutely right! So, where are the other two pouches?!

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 63,188
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:43 PM »
Very interesting carry idea :salute: Alwaysgood to try something different and think outside the box :like: Let us know how it goes :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 1,100
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 03:58:08 AM »
I liked the Idea!

I bought my first squirt in last november. A ES4.
Now I want more... That's the way...

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 08:46:00 PM »
Well, I tried this for a little over 3 weeks and the conclusion must be that it just doesn’t have enough, for me at least.  Too many tasks where I just need something larger.  To be fair, when I retired, I didn’t do the normal retirement thing but packed up and moved to my cabin that is 17 miles on Forest Service roads from the nearest small town.  Completely off grid, solar for power, haul water, wood stove, etc.  Everything out here that is installed, repaired or maintained is done by me, so my multitool and SAK get a lot of use.  More than I realized before.  So I will still carry the P4, but back to the larger stuff for most.          :cheers:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,666
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 09:55:53 PM »
Sounds peaceful yet busy and well worth it.  A full size MT seems about right in your day to day of possibilities.  Maybe those little tools still have a place just not without their bigger brother. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 07:11:03 AM »
Yes, normally very peaceful but there are times!  I have horses and awhile back we had a large mountain lion roaming around this area for about 10 days and that tends to take a bit of the peace away.  But he moved on, the horses did quiet down and we were back to normal.  Everybody needs a little adrenaline every so often 😛.

The Spirit handles the serious work, the SAK is more convenient for a lot of tasks and I’m sure the Squirt will find a niche.
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $20.00
PayPal Fees: $1.34
Net Balance: $18.66
Below Goal: $281.34
Site Currency: USD