Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's yours carry style story

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
on: December 26, 2020, 11:03:40 AM
I first thought I should put this in the SAK knights forum but after reading this https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=86230.0 I think it belongs here.

I usually just carry a SAK (max 4 layers) loose in my pocket but when it comes to bigger things the belt is a valid option.

I have seen dangers, chains, strings, belt sheath, skynth's, backpacks, custom pocket organizers, maybe even a wheelbarrow? There are a lot of options for carrying the tool of choice and how did you ended up with yours?

To start i thought I might tell the story of my spirit x

I really wanted a spirit x, on paper it's the perfect plier based tool and after wanting it for a long time I finally pulled the trigger, got the tool and was really happy! Until I was supposed to carry it, that's when I realized that it was a bit more heavy and bulkier then I was used to (its still a small tool compared to others)

I tossed it in my pocket as usual but it fell over and didn't ride comfortably so I tried the original sheath

But is rides vertical and the belt loop is big enough to slide not only side-to-side but also up-and-down

And it has velcro closing (can't stand the soundł

So that didn't work and after this I don't really remember the order but I tried to mount a pocket clip

But that didn't do the trick for me, the top of the pocket got full and I could not get my hand in it to retrieve things..

The first sheath a did to try horizontal carry, now I was on to something but the leather was to thin and soft and I didn't know what I was doing

And I tried this elastic clip holder that worked quite good but the spirit sometimes fell out, especially then laying down

Still like this one

But now I knew what I wanted and made this sheath, but it would slide of my belt when taking of my pants off and after a lot of use the leather doesn't keep the tool locked in when laying down, these problems was solved with a flap (as suggested by some members here even when the sheath was new) and a snap button with the other end on my belt.

I can't feel the weight on my belt, the closure is silent, it's easy to get when needed, I can reach for my phone without any trouble and it just stays there until needed

I have made a similar to my rebar but haven't put a flap on it yet but we will see.

That's my story how about yours? I know this is an evolving thing and might change over time but it will still be fun to read

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: What's yours carry style story
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 04:00:52 AM
I'll start from the beginning.

I would pocket carry a folder... Or use the pocket clip if it had one. I had a Cold Steel Voyager, so as some will surely agree... The texturing under the clip did not make for an easy draw out of the pocket. I also had a Buck... Which I was really fond of.... And it slipped out of my pocket despite having a clip.  Actually, I think it was because of the clip - it was a smallish folder and the clip wasn't deep carry. 

A few Leatherman and Gerber tools were carried in their standard belt pouches that they came with.

Somewhere in between I carried a Leatherman in a NiteEyz belt holster along with a mag lite and a pen. That didn't last too long.  It's not that I disliked it. But after a while, I preferred smaller flashlights for EDC.

Then for a good 3 years or more, I pocket carried a Leatherman Wave.  To be honest, I'm not sure why.  But I did.

Then one fine day I became a SAK nut... I pocket carried one for many years thereafter.

Earlier this year, I switched to the Pioneer X, and because of its density, I carry it on a suspension clip.

And that's my story.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 07:12:12 PM
Thanks for sharing

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 03:07:39 PM
Well, my carry style story isn't too exciting...

I started out carrying traditional slippies and SAKs loose in pocket, and that is still mostly what I do.

I used to hate pocket clips, to the point that I would remove them, because I felt they compromised my grip on the knife.  Over the years, though, either the designs have become more ergonomic or I've gotten less picky (or both), and I've come to appreciate the utility of a pocket clip on many knives that have them, primarily for the fact that they hold the knife in a consistent, easily accessible, vertical position.

I've never had any desire to try a pocket organizer, pocket sheath, or dangler.

I've tried belt sheaths, but just haven't been able to get on with them.  I've never worn one that checked all the boxes for me; namely easily accessible, comfortable while standing, comfortable while sitting, and (for fixed blades) not easily pierced by the blade.  When I have a fixed blade along hiking or camping, it is generally in or on my pack.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:44:29 PM
My preferred carry is the old Leatherman box sheath for my multitools. I pocket carry usually two traditional slipjoints, one in my watch pocket and the other in my right front pocket next to my wallet.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:19 PM
Colts story,

I started back in the day with the old style Mr Pinchy blunt nose. Then Grandma gave me a Victorinox Camper that I used a little and through it in the drawer. Fast forward 20 years, I found a Huntsman at the Swapmeet and while looking up info on it I found Multitool. Org..... That my friends was the beginning of the end.

I have gone through some many combinations of MT, SAK, fixed, folders.....

This is what I carry

Little heavy

99% of the time is a self defense folder. “Thank God I’ve never had to pull it out of my pocket except to put it away”
Used to carry MT but mostly carry Knipex pliers flashlight and a SAK.
That’s basically my work setup.
All thing change when I get home. This comes into play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:16:02 PM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:35 PM
My preferred carry is the old Leatherman box sheath for my multitools. I pocket carry usually two traditional slipjoints, one in my watch pocket and the other in my right front pocket next to my wallet.

(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline getahl

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 08:14:42 PM
I've always preferred pocket carry. Had a small handful of folders from age 7 through 26 or 27, most notably a SAK Tinker, a large CS Voyager with a tanto blade, and a partially serrated CRKT M16. After taking a cruise up to Alaska, I saw a few of the contour guides using their pocket knives for various things. Not sure what clicked in my brain, but it was go time. 13 years on, my collection has grown and shrunk, to about 25 folders and a few fixed blades. I've tried belt carry, and don't like it. Neck carry  is a no go. IWB is not comfortable to me. So I carry my stuff in my pockets. Keys, wallet and knife in front pockets, bandana and phone in the rear pockets, and I'm good to go. Other stuff added as needed.

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 08:43:22 PM
I find pocket carry the most convenient, so I try to edc items that work comfortably in the pocket.  It’s been a challenge sometimes, but generally a SAK, and a Leatherman Squirt, a Bullet pen, a single cell AA flashlight are pocketable for me...and unless something unusual happens, more than adequate for my daily needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 09:45:50 PM
Thanks for sharing everyone!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
I find pocket carry the most convenient, so I try to edc items that work comfortably in the pocket.  It’s been a challenge sometimes, but generally a SAK, and a Leatherman Squirt, a Bullet pen, a single cell AA flashlight are pocketable for me...and unless something unusual happens, more than adequate for my daily needs.

By your educated guess... Is there a cause-effect relationship between Alox keyring eyelets and holes in my pockets?  I fear that conducting my own case control study would be too expensive, and just empty my pockets that much faster... From the bottom and the top...   :facepalm:

I have 17 years of lead-in data which gives me sufficient equipoise on the question.  :think:

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 12:58:14 AM
By your educated guess... Is there a cause-effect relationship between Alox keyring eyelets and holes in my pockets?  I fear that conducting my own case control study would be too expensive, and just empty my pockets that much faster... From the bottom and the top...   :facepalm:

I have 17 years of lead-in data which gives me sufficient equipoise on the question.  :think:
Haha, I’m not very educated....I don’t even own an Alox SAK.  Never had a problem with the regular red scaled SAKs in my pockets that I’ve been carrying since 2007 though...but maybe that’s because I wouldn’t wear a pair of skinny jeans if someone paid me :-)

KoSto4KaRot

Опытный кролик
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 11:15:36 PM
Чет вспомнилось) Сорри если не в тему..
Объявление: Ищу подопытного кролика. Опытный кролик.))
МакиТокиХань

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 11:25:32 PM
Russian to English translation from above post,

Chet remembered) Sorry if not in the subject..
Ad: Looking for a guinea pig. Experienced rabbit.))
Macedonian

:spamkiller:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 12:05:03 AM
I first started off with a Zermatt sheath because that was the only way I was carrying a 7 layer sak, but then I got into pocket knives and liked having the pocket clip, but I also liked combo sheaths that would hold a multitool and flashlight, but that period left, and it was back to just a pocket clip, but I kinda got tired of the clip ruining my pants, so I made a lanyard that would hang from a belt loop and let it sit in a good position without it laying in the pocket. But I think I’m done, since xmas and getting a FarmerX I got a perfect fit Zermatt sheath, nothing too big, and I think I’m going to stick with that line of carry, so kinda funny back to the original, just not the same size..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 12:06:25 AM
I first started off with a Zermatt sheath because that was the only way I was carrying a 7 layer sak, but then I got into pocket knives and liked having the pocket clip, but I also liked combo sheaths that would hold a multitool and flashlight, but that period left, and it was back to just a pocket clip, but I kinda got tired of the clip ruining my pants, so I made a lanyard that would hang from a belt loop and let it sit in a good position without it laying in the pocket. But I think I’m done, since xmas and getting a FarmerX I got a perfect fit Zermatt sheath, nothing too big, and I think I’m going to stick with that line of carry, so kinda funny back to the original, just not the same size..
JR

nice avatar  :like:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 12:09:23 AM
nice avatar  :like:
Thought it was time for a change, it’s only been a few years, but I had a theory, and well, it kinda fit, so I drew it and made “the perfect sak” lol
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Taschenmesser

Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 09:57:53 PM
I’ve been carrying a pocket knife for almost 5 decades.  I won’t detail all those years here.  Just what I’m currently doing, as needed, due to a job change in mid 2020.  I got a new Vic Farmer X to which I attached three keys.  I plop that lump of metal into my right front pocket every day before I leave the house. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 11:36:54 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00