Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK surprised you most?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Which SAK surprised you most?
on: December 31, 2020, 01:44:36 AM
Which is the SAK that you thought wouldn’t work for you at all? But then you got it anyway,  and it was surprisingly great!

For me, that would be the Waiter. I thought it would be too small, not enough tools and just useless in general. Then I found a good deal and decided to give it a go. To my surprise, I really liked it! When I want to carry really light around the house it gets pocket time.
When I carry my bladeless Mp600 or the Spirit XC it gets pocket time. I am really fond of it now!

Which is yours? This could of course also go the other way. You thought a certain SAK was perfect for you, but when you got it it just didn’t click. Which one was it? And why didn’t it work? Let’s hear it  :popcorn:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Re: Which SAK surprised you most?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 02:15:34 AM
Which is the SAK that you thought wouldn’t work for you at all? But then you got it anyway,  and it was surprisingly great!
The one that surprised me was the Compact.  I wondered how a 2-layer SAK could be so useful, but it has quite a bit of function. 
I like the plus scales and the file material on the hook on the back.
I don't use a can opener, so the combo tool works for me.  I don't use one as my EDC, but I could easily use it daily and not feel too limited.

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Frailer

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:35:05 AM
The Compact was my biggest surprise, as well. I’d carried a Huntsman for over 10 years when a British friend gave me a Compact in 1997. It’s been my favorite ever since.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 03:51:13 AM
I like the Compact too, i just wish they would replace the hook with the awl. Then it would be near perfect for a minimalist SAK.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 05:00:26 AM
The Classic SD.  Something that small but SO Useful. 

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 05:13:22 AM
The Classic SD.  Something that small but SO Useful.

True words  :cheers: And yet I have never used the sd tip on the file  :think:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 06:56:08 AM
Well I was surprised to even find an Esquire in my box of Classics that arrived. I've carried the Esquire as a backup package ever since. I was surprised by the scissors on that thing....they seem to do better than on any 91 I've ever seen. I think it's because it's an entirely different spring system, making the Wenger scissors far more cutworthy in my undocumented opinon.

The Esquire and Spartan may as well be married...the Spartan is missing its TnT, and the Esquire brings scissors and nail file into the picture. The only thing they have in common is a cutting blade.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 08:17:23 AM
My first Swisschamp that I bought knowing nothing about. Being used to a scout knife forever, I found it festooned with tools I'd thought I'd never use. Wouldn't be without one close at hand now.

The Sportsman. Bought very cheaply out of curiosity after the SAK bug got me. I thought the Handyman would be my ideal knife. The Sportsman had a similar toolset to my easily carried lost scout knife and soon became essential pocket carry. Two layers, two openers, two thumbs up!

Well I was surprised to even find an Esquire in my box of Classics that arrived. I've carried the Esquire as a backup package ever since. I was surprised by the scissors on that thing....they seem to do better than on any 91 I've ever seen. I think it's because it's an entirely different spring system, making the Wenger scissors far more cutworthy in my undocumented opinon.

The Esquire and Spartan may as well be married...the Spartan is missing its TnT, and the Esquire brings scissors and nail file into the picture. The only thing they have in common is a cutting blade.

Yep. I like the Rambler on my keyring for similar reasons.
Rambler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 09:35:09 AM
The SwissChamp was the first to surprise me. The quality was mindblowing. So comfortable to hold. Great tools.

And then the Manager. Still great quality, and so many features in such a tiny package. :dd:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 12:36:08 PM
Positive surprise: the CT34. Used to think it was just an overpriced, chunkier Deluxe Tinker. I only got it to amass more 91mm SAKs. Quickly turned into my casual wear EDC.

Negative surprise: the Compact. It's not that I dislike it per se; I appreciate its being the slimmest 91mm SAK with scissors. The thing is, it turned out I really like having a small blade (or at least an awl) for everyday cutting jobs while keeping the large blade clean and sharp for foodstuff or those rare moments when I really need it. So if form factor is critical, I carry the Compact, but it didn't turn into my EDC as I had originally hoped.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 12:37:47 PM
Well... i guess it was the 58mm line really....
I've always had keychain Classics, Cellidor and Alox, but it was more of a "grooming tool" (small scissors and nail file) and functional keychain than anything else....

After i got the Alox Minichamp, i just got awed at what the 58's (esp. minichamp and rambler) can really do. For normal urban EDC it can do most anything you need, other than actualy needing a bigger blade for bigger cutting tasks.

I'm using the minichamp almost exclusively for most of the tasks now... Haven't actually used the Deluxe Tinker i'm also carrying for much then the very ocasional mini pliers needs...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 03:43:49 PM
My first Swisschamp that I bought knowing nothing about. Being used to a scout knife forever, I found it festooned with tools I'd thought I'd never use. Wouldn't be without one close at hand now.

The Sportsman. Bought very cheaply out of curiosity after the SAK bug got me. I thought the Handyman would be my ideal knife. The Sportsman had a similar toolset to my easily carried lost scout knife and soon became essential pocket carry. Two layers, two openers, two thumbs up!

Yep. I like the Rambler on my keyring for similar reasons.

Don’t have a Sportsman yet. Might have to give it a go  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 03:44:39 PM
Positive surprise: the CT34. Used to think it was just an overpriced, chunkier Deluxe Tinker. I only got it to amass more 91mm SAKs. Quickly turned into my casual wear EDC.

Negative surprise: the Compact. It's not that I dislike it per se; I appreciate its being the slimmest 91mm SAK with scissors. The thing is, it turned out I really like having a small blade (or at least an awl) for everyday cutting jobs while keeping the large blade clean and sharp for foodstuff or those rare moments when I really need it. So if form factor is critical, I carry the Compact, but it didn't turn into my EDC as I had originally hoped.

Agree on the Compact with awl. Would make this SAK so much better  :like:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 03:46:24 PM
Well... i guess it was the 58mm line really....
I've always had keychain Classics, Cellidor and Alox, but it was more of a "grooming tool" (small scissors and nail file) and functional keychain than anything else....

After i got the Alox Minichamp, i just got awed at what the 58's (esp. minichamp and rambler) can really do. For normal urban EDC it can do most anything you need, other than actualy needing a bigger blade for bigger cutting tasks.

I'm using the minichamp almost exclusively for most of the tasks now... Haven't actually used the Deluxe Tinker i'm also carrying for much then the very ocasional mini pliers needs...

The minichamp always eluded me. Too much stuff on there I think i will never use  :dunno:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 03:53:34 PM
The one that surprised me was the Compact.  I wondered how a 2-layer SAK could be so useful, but it has quite a bit of function. 
I like the plus scales and the file material on the hook on the back.
 I could easily use it daily and not feel too limited.

:iagree:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 03:58:45 PM
Terrific idea for a thread  :tu:

84mm Golfer was a surprise in that I thought i'd have a heck of a time getting one but did.  Then I thought I love the simplicity of it especially having scissors, I didn't.  I just didn't get along with the combo tool.  That also was a surprise, the combo tool and I not getting along. 

Champion was a pleasant surprise. I've had them in the past and they didn't do anything for me as I much preferred the Swisschamp if I was going to carry such a large SAK.  After gifting the 2 I had to a member I thought I was done with the Champion.  This year I got to thinking about a Champion again.  I found one at the flea market and took it to work and was elated.  I am not sure what changed in the few years of not owning one.  I found a second one and its been a at home carry ever since.

The 84mm line has been a very nice surprise.  Its a great compliment to a 58mm and more than enough blade to take on daily chores.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 03:59:38 PM
The minichamp always eluded me. Too much stuff on there I think i will never use  :dunno:
The MiniChamp is beefy for sure. 
I ended up loving the Vagabond and have a small collection of them.  I even carry one on my keychain.  It has 6 blades and removes the cuticle pusher and screwdriver/ruler found on the MiniChamp.

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 04:09:21 PM
I ended up loving the Vagabond and have a small collection of them.

Nice pic FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 04:17:45 PM

While the cuticle pusher and the ruler are of limited use and a bit redundant, they can still be very helpful as extenders to the handle when using certain tools... I'd love a vagabond but unfortunately they are no longer available from Vic, and i'm not about to waste time hunting for one and paying a huge price for too... The alox minichamp is expensive enough...  :facepalm:

But i don't think is too thick at all, it's the same thickness as the cellidor rambler... And i don't really like very thin SAK's anyway...  :dunno: I used my alox classic more as a functional keychain/small scissrs than a SAK/tool. Not true with the minichamp, it's a great mini tool. That Phillips alone is a marvel, with the sturdiness of the Alox frame and nickel pins it's worth it's weight iin gold  :tu:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 04:24:45 PM

Champion was a pleasant surprise.

The Champion is a great EDC!  :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 05:41:47 PM
Let's see...

Compact - As a long-time Climber fan, I was optimistic that the Compact would generally retain the functionality of the Climber while saving a layer.  Ultimately, the lack of an awl and small blade, and even more so the trade-offs of the combo tool, led to the conclusion that the Compact just wasn't right for me.  With regard to the functionality of the combo tool vs. opener layer, I found the following:
  • Cap lifting - both options equally functional
  • Can opening - advantage opener layer, though combo tool also works
  • Screw driving - major advantage opener layer; combo tool a poor substitute, as it is less beefy than the cap lifter for use on stuck or stubborn slotted screws and doesn't fit Phillips screws very well
  • Light prying - major advantage opener layer; combo tool a poor substitute, as it is less beefy than the cap lifter but thicker than the edge of the can opener

Cybertool M/34 - I love the tool set on this model, especially for the electronics/small electrical work for which it was intended.  But I just found it too awkward in hand and too heavy in pocket.  In spite of my general preference for the opener layer over the combo tool, with the bit driver on board to handle screws, I think Victorinox missed an opportunity to make these chunky models a bit slimmer and lighter by failing to substitute the combo tool for the opener layer and small blade.

PX/FX - I can't really get on with the Pioneer or Farmer because I find the key ring attachment too uncomfortable.  (Yes, I know some people grind them off.)  So, I felt like I was taking a bit of a chance ordering a PX (and a bit later, a FX).  I'm not sure if it is the extra width that causes the key ring attachment to hit my hand a bit differently, or maybe Victorinox has subtly adjusted the manufacturing process a bit.  While I would still prefer these models without the key ring attachment, it doesn't feel like quite the deal breaker on the PX and FX that it did on some other, earlier models.

Classic (and other smaller SAKs) - While I agree that the Classic and other 58mm knives punch well above their weight, I don't think they are up to all the tasks I demand of a pocket knife on a regular basis.  Things like opening heavy blister packs and cutting cable ties caused my Classic and even 74mm SAKs to bend in some alarming ways.  They didn't fail or take a permanent set, but I got the clear impression I was pushing both the knives and my luck.  84mm and up fare much better, and are a superior choice for me.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 07:38:15 PM
Great idea for a thread!

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Waiter. When I got it I was underwhelmed but I decided to carry it for a while and see what it’s all about. Especially with a pin in the scales and a mini screwdriver in the corkscrew it is a very handy tool that just disappears in my pocket. It is very handy to supplement a Leatherman or even by itself.

The Minichamp disappointed me. When I first got it I was very excited but it just doesn’t replace my Classic on my keys, the extra functionality just doesn’t get used. Maybe I should just carry it for a month or so and really try to use it, it has been quite a while and preferences do change.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 08:16:05 PM
As a Swiss boy, I grew up with SAKs. SAKs were useful to me, but I never really found them beautiful. When I was 20, I already had a few 91 and 111mm users as well as a few gentleman folders whose elegance and hand feel I missed so much at the SAKs.

I had never noticed the Alox knives before so the first Pioneer in my hand really surprised me! This simple, robust elegance and the good feeling in the hand thanks the grippy scales and the smooth back without these more annoying than useful back tools.
I was really amazed and thought: Wow, that's it! And that's still how I feel 30 years later.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 08:31:31 PM
Don’t have a Sportsman yet. Might have to give it a go  :tu:

I bought a few as backups! I stopped after I found the most comfortable one. Funny, it took me a few moments of holding it to realize it had no keyring. I love the 84mm size.

After I came to appreciate the small blade, the Sportsman was largely supplanted as pocket carry by a Tourist, also without a keyring. I keep a Sportsman in the car glovebox, though.
Rambler

Offline nolongerlurking27

Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 08:39:05 PM
The classic sd !!
I have carried a keychain tool for over 15 years. Tried everything from squirt to a little spyderco and a few other items but I wanted less weight. I was changing the setup everything couple of months it was never quite right too bulky/ heavy / needed different tools.
In the end of thought I would take a punt on a classic and it has been ideal, everything I need in a key chain tool and a fair amount of time the only knife I carry. It’s opened packets, fixed things, once it even got me back in to the accommodation block !!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 08:43:31 PM
I ended up loving the Vagabond and have a small collection of them.  I even carry one on my keychain.  It has 6 blades and removes the cuticle pusher and screwdriver/ruler found on the MiniChamp.

(Image removed from quote.)

That looks a little better, but I still don’t get the two blades of the same length. What is the point?  :dunno:
The blade shape isn’t too different to justify both blades imo. If they could fit a small set of pliers in there, that might be a different story  :think:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 08:49:34 PM
Let's see...

Compact - As a long-time Climber fan, I was optimistic that the Compact would generally retain the functionality of the Climber while saving a layer.  Ultimately, the lack of an awl and small blade, and even more so the trade-offs of the combo tool, led to the conclusion that the Compact just wasn't right for me.  With regard to the functionality of the combo tool vs. opener layer, I found the following:
  • Cap lifting - both options equally functional
  • Can opening - advantage opener layer, though combo tool also works
  • Screw driving - major advantage opener layer; combo tool a poor substitute, as it is less beefy than the cap lifter for use on stuck or stubborn slotted screws and doesn't fit Phillips screws very well
  • Light prying - major advantage opener layer; combo tool a poor substitute, as it is less beefy than the cap lifter but thicker than the edge of the can opener

Cybertool M/34 - I love the tool set on this model, especially for the electronics/small electrical work for which it was intended.  But I just found it too awkward in hand and too heavy in pocket.  In spite of my general preference for the opener layer over the combo tool, with the bit driver on board to handle screws, I think Victorinox missed an opportunity to make these chunky models a bit slimmer and lighter by failing to substitute the combo tool for the opener layer and small blade.

PX/FX - I can't really get on with the Pioneer or Farmer because I find the key ring attachment too uncomfortable.  (Yes, I know some people grind them off.)  So, I felt like I was taking a bit of a chance ordering a PX (and a bit later, a FX).  I'm not sure if it is the extra width that causes the key ring attachment to hit my hand a bit differently, or maybe Victorinox has subtly adjusted the manufacturing process a bit.  While I would still prefer these models without the key ring attachment, it doesn't feel like quite the deal breaker on the PX and FX that it did on some other, earlier models.

Classic (and other smaller SAKs) - While I agree that the Classic and other 58mm knives punch well above their weight, I don't think they are up to all the tasks I demand of a pocket knife on a regular basis.  Things like opening heavy blister packs and cutting cable ties caused my Classic and even 74mm SAKs to bend in some alarming ways.  They didn't fail or take a permanent set, but I got the clear impression I was pushing both the knives and my luck.  84mm and up fare much better, and are a superior choice for me.

I was always intrigued by the Cybertools, but never got one. They are too expensive and I don’t work enough on electronics to justify one. And i really doubt that bit holder would be up to the tasks i have in store for it.

Interesting observations about the PX/FX. Never paid attention if the keyring on those is less annoying due to different tool width or hand position. And now i can’t check, because I sold all my PX’s   :facepalm: Does anyone else have similar observations?  :popcorn:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 08:52:26 PM
As a Swiss boy, I grew up with SAKs. SAKs were useful to me, but I never really found them beautiful. When I was 20, I already had a few 91 and 111mm users as well as a few gentleman folders whose elegance and hand feel I missed so much at the SAKs.

I had never noticed the Alox knives before so the first Pioneer in my hand really surprised me! This simple, robust elegance and the good feeling in the hand thanks the grippy scales and the smooth back without these more annoying than useful back tools.
I was really amazed and thought: Wow, that's it! And that's still how I feel 30 years later.

:iagree: I felt the same way about Alox. Besides the awl and the cs, i find the backside tools on most 91mm almost useless. The beefier tools on the Alox models are really awesome. After using them, the 91mm feel almost like toys  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 08:53:32 PM
Great idea for a thread!

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Waiter. When I got it I was underwhelmed but I decided to carry it for a while and see what it’s all about. Especially with a pin in the scales and a mini screwdriver in the corkscrew it is a very handy tool that just disappears in my pocket. It is very handy to supplement a Leatherman or even by itself.

The Minichamp disappointed me. When I first got it I was very excited but it just doesn’t replace my Classic on my keys, the extra functionality just doesn’t get used. Maybe I should just carry it for a month or so and really try to use it, it has been quite a while and preferences do change.

:iagree: :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 08:56:50 PM

84mm Golfer was a surprise in that I thought i'd have a heck of a time getting one but did.  Then I thought I love the simplicity of it especially having scissors, I didn't.  I just didn't get along with the combo tool.  That also was a surprise, the combo tool and I not getting along. 

Champion was a pleasant surprise. I've had them in the past and they didn't do anything for me as I much preferred the Swisschamp if I was going to carry such a large SAK.  After gifting the 2 I had to a member I thought I was done with the Champion.  This year I got to thinking about a Champion again.  I found one at the flea market and took it to work and was elated.  I am not sure what changed in the few years of not owning one.  I found a second one and its been a at home carry ever since.

The 84mm line has been a very nice surprise.  Its a great compliment to a 58mm and more than enough blade to take on daily chores.   

Agree on the 84mm line. I wish there would be more options. I would also take more 85mm options, if they got rid of those stupid scales. I know they are supposed to improve the haptic, but i just find them annoying. They increase the width of the SAK unnecessarily and I don’t think they make the SAK easier to handle. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%