Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Repairing and refurbishing 91's

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
on: January 01, 2021, 10:06:32 PM
I've been wondering about just how difficult/expensive it is to refurbish, rebuild, and repair 91mm Vics. With the press-on scales and riveted construction, they're not designed to be easily disassembled. I would hate to have to buy new scales every time I wanted to take one apart. Kind of defeats the purpose, if the scales are in good shape, but a blade breaks, for instance.

Maybe there's already a thread about all this. If so, if anyone wants to redirect me, have at it. :-)

So a few questions:

1. Is it possible to reuse the existing scales if you take them off?
2. How do you disassemble and reassemble the metal parts of the knife after the scales are off?
3. Are there any ways to buy new scales at a reasonable price?
4. Other than donor knives, what options are available for getting replacement parts?
5. What options might there be for aftermarket parts, including special tools?
6. If you make your own wooden scales, how do you get them to attach?
7. Is awl this really worth it, or just get a new knife?
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Offline Jolt_159

Re: Repairing and refurbishing 91's
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 10:32:03 PM
To answer Q1, if you take out T&T fron the scales, soak in boiling water for 1 minute and then take them off, they can often be re-used.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 10:36:31 PM
To answer Q1, if you take out T&T fron the scales, soak in boiling water for 1 minute and then take them off, they can often be re-used.

Ah, nice. So does the knife (obviously, the plastic scales) need to be still hot when you get them off?
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Offline Jolt_159

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 10:37:52 PM
Ah, nice. So does the knife (obviously, the plastic scales) need to be still hot when you get them off?
Yes immediately after you take the knife out take the scales off.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 10:39:56 PM
Carefully!  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 10:44:37 PM
I haven't had great success breaking a SAK down to individual parts. (some of the guys here on the forum are quite expert at this.)

However, I have taken some ill-used and dirty SAKs and just rehabilitated them by cleaning them (scales on for one dreadful SAK) vigorously in hot soapy water.

Hot soapy water and a toothbrush (don't use your own toothbrush--d'uh!--I borrow Mrs Nix's) will work miracles for a nasty old SAK. After awl that hot water and soap.....oil. The SAK will feel gritty and stiff until it gets a little love and care in the form of some oil. Mineral oil or Ballistol are my go-to lubricants, but a SAK will be grateful for any sort of oil, really.

Offline Jolt_159

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 10:46:31 PM

There is a link to the video. Skip about 3 mins in

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 10:48:23 PM

There is a link to the video. Skip about 3 mins in

Ah thanks!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 10:50:50 PM
I've been wondering about just how difficult/expensive it is to refurbish, rebuild, and repair 91mm Vics. With the press-on scales and riveted construction, they're not designed to be easily disassembled. I would hate to have to buy new scales every time I wanted to take one apart. Kind of defeats the purpose, if the scales are in good shape, but a blade breaks, for instance.

Maybe there's already a thread about all this. If so, if anyone wants to redirect me, have at it. :-)

Lots of threads! But I’ll start with some rough answers below.
So a few questions:

1. Is it possible to reuse the existing scales if you take them off?
Yes. Heat is usually better for reuse. I don’t use water.
2. How do you disassemble and reassemble the metal parts of the knife after the scales are off?
Lots of threads on this in the mod sub forum. But the main part is drilling out the existing rivet/pins and re-riveting (or using screws in some types of modifications) for reassembly.

3. Are there any ways to buy new scales at a reasonable price?
Lots. *bay is where I’d go for most.
4. Other than donor knives, what options are available for getting replacement parts?
A few sellers have loose parts available. Often without the needed backsprings. So more for simple part replacement, typically.  But my main source are donor knives.
5. What options might there be for aftermarket parts, including special tools?
I suppose some of the well known moderates who fabricate their own parts could be a source. But no idea, as I do mostly restoration type work and pretty light on the fabrication.
6. If you make your own wooden scales, how do you get them to attach?
I’ve mostly seen adhesives used for wood scales, but that’s just observation.
7. Is awl this really worth it, or just get a new knife?

Worth it to me for vintage stuff. Also for creating knives that would never be made otherwise. Users of ‘rare’ models are also a good reason. Like if I really wanted a ‘scientist’...I’d just build it.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 10:54:12 PM
Sub forum is here:
The Mod Squad
Good luck!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Online Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 12:32:42 AM
Hot soapy water and a toothbrush (don't use your own toothbrush--d'uh!--I borrow Mrs Nix's)…

:rofl: :rofl: :tu:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 06:05:51 AM
Thanks, guys!

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 07:18:53 PM
It’s quite addictive if/when you start modding or creating or reproducing new/discontinued models. If you want to put  celador handles back on you are best off being very careful not to damage the little brass collars that he handles push on to as they are very difficult to find or make. Otherwise not a problem if you are going to use screws or glue.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 04:35:40 AM
And I also wonder if there's any real way to sharpen the saw blades.....

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 06:26:04 AM
And I also wonder if there's any real way to sharpen the saw blades.....

I’ve used the triangle stones from the Spyderco Sharpmaker for the wood saws. Since it’s double -cut, I do every other tooth (gap) in one direction. Then do all the missed ones in a second pass. Just try to keep the pressure and number of strokes consistent.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 07:25:36 AM
I was wondering if there were some triangular device that could do it. That's encouraging.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 10:22:22 AM
Depends how bad it is blunted. A fine square mini diamond file will probably be best for re-shaping if it’s really bad -might even get it sharp enough but the corner to a small sharpening stone should work for the final touch if not.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 10:14:38 PM
Depends how bad it is blunted. A fine square mini diamond file will probably be best for re-shaping if it’s really bad -might even get it sharp enough but the corner to a small sharpening stone should work for the final touch if not.

I dunno. I’ve used diamond files and it’s not easier and hard to say ‘best’ even for very worn tips. Consistency matters most, IMO for making all the teeth usable.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 10:23:27 PM
Fair enough ‘best’ might be an ambiguous term ;0) I didn’t think he wants to buy a Sharpmaker though so maybe an adequate alternative.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 11:31:08 PM
 :tu:

The Sharpmaker rods can be purchased separately from the kit, or in pairs.

My main issue with the diamond files I tried is that they are short. And that lack of length makes it difficult to maintain consistent angles and pressure. Files also cut only one face at a time while the triangle stones ‘self-center’ and self-align while cutting two faces at a time. 

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 06:38:16 AM
:tu:

The Sharpmaker rods can be purchased separately from the kit, or in pairs.

My main issue with the diamond files I tried is that they are short. And that lack of length makes it difficult to maintain consistent angles and pressure. Files also cut only one face at a time while the triangle stones ‘self-center’ and self-align while cutting two faces at a time.

Um...yes. I assume that is only if the angle of the triangle stone matches the angle of the teeth....  :(

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 06:40:10 AM
Now I'm starting to wonder if there's a good way to touch up old dull-looking celidor scales. Some kind of turtle wax or something? Just trying to figure it out....

Naturally, if I can get old dull scales to look better, I'll be better able to sell the used knives I get in the wholesale batches.

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 08:34:51 AM
Now I'm starting to wonder if there's a good way to touch up old dull-looking celidor scales. Some kind of turtle wax or something? Just trying to figure it out....

Naturally, if I can get old dull scales to look better, I'll be better able to sell the used knives I get in the wholesale batches.
Maybe try Polywatch? Used to polish acrylic watch lenses. Toothpaste is used as an alternative.

Finish with a bit of chopping board food grade wax?

Worth a try on one knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 09:54:06 AM
I heard some people use Brasso. :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 10:14:35 AM
Brasso works well for polishing plastics, works like jewellers’ rouge. We used to use it in plastics class at school in the late 1970s, and it’s still my go to polish for copper, brass and plastic. Might not be easy to come by where you are though....

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 10:45:57 AM
I’ve also used Peek.

https://tripeek.com

I liked this endorsement 'By Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen, Purveyors of Metal Polish, Tri-Peek International Limited Saffron Walden'.

If it's good enough for her collection of crowns and jewels, it's good enough for my collection of SAKs.

Doesn’t Brasso have quite a lot of Petrol in it? Used in many times with metal, but it doesn’t discolour the red plastic scales does it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:20:21 PM by SAKTaschenmesser »

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 10:51:28 AM
It’s a mild (but smelly!) solvent rather than petrol, and I’ve not had it discolour any plastic I’ve used it on, but it would be wise to test it first if you’re not sure on a small piece first.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 03:55:49 PM
Thanks, y'all, I'll try one or more of these products.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:19 AM
Um...yes. I assume that is only if the angle of the triangle stone matches the angle of the teeth....  :(

Close enough for me.

I’d try ‘micromesh’ abrasives first.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%