Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Silva Compass Model 26 or 426 , housing/case/mirror only

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Looking for Silva Compass for the housing, so bubbles or wrong hemisphere is fine, they aren't common here in Australia and I plan to transplant a Swedish made MS into the new body.

They seem fairly common in the USA.

Model 26 'Field' Preferably in Navy (Has made in Sweden moulded on it)

or Model 426  'Guide' preferably in orange (Made in Finland or Indonesia printed on it)

Hopefully a dead one in someone's drawer. The Silva brand isn't as prestigious as it once was. For me it's a curiosity to carry them as my last-last name is 'da Silva'
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Silva Compass Model 26 or 426 , housing/case/mirror only
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 04:54:11 PM
Sadly enough I can't help you with your request.

But I just wanted to add that Silva is still a major Compass brand over here, but while they had most of the market for themselves until 15 years ago or so, they now have to share 50/50 with Suunto, these days.

Anyway, sorry I can't help you, I hope you can find what you need.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 02:19:29 AM
I started a compass thread in the outdoor section before seeing this. But not for buying or selling. I have a 1980's Silva (Sweden) Ranger Type 15. Still love it.

Here in the US, back I  the 1980's we could get Silva of Sweden, Brunton of Wyoming, or Suunto of Finland. Silva logo was all capital letters with a pine tree behind it

While Suunto stayed true to roots, by the 1990's, Silva distribution rights in North America had been bought out by Johnson Outdoors. But they owned the name everywhere else in the world. We started getting lower quality "Silva" compasses (cap S, the rest lower case, and no tree) flooding in from various makers. Silva of Sweden made a deal with Brunton to sell thier original stuff under the Brunton name in North America and it was a mess to figure out.

Meanwhile, Silva of Sweden bought back their distribution rights in the US, but now unfortunately, manufacture only in China. Brunton still manufactures in Wyoming USA, but they are owned by Fenix Outdoors, formerly of Sweden, now of Switzerland.

Suunto is still Suunto. Made in Finland.

I would love to get ahold of another older Silva

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:39:26 PM
I have a few Silvas at the moment. a type 15T, A type 27, a global expedition one and old swedish onewith faded basplate.   Mainly wanted the housing so i could put the global compass in it and then move the swedish made one to the expedion baseplate. I love my Type27 for back up so wanted to make a 26 with bigger mirror
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 06:00:20 AM
I have a few Silvas at the moment. a type 15T, A type 27, a global expedition one and old swedish onewith faded basplate.   Mainly wanted the housing so i could put the global compass in it and then move the swedish made one to the expedion baseplate. I love my Type27 for back up so wanted to make a 26 with bigger mirror

That Silva Type 15T must be a real treat. I love the Silva declination adjustment being on the front of the housing like that. You can place the compass on the map legend, line up the N-S lines, and adjust the declination until the N-S lines line up with the magnetic north lines. No fuss about picking it up and turning it over and wondering "do I have it right this time? Let me try again. "

Silva still does that. I wish Suunto did. And I'm not overly excited about Brunton's declination adjustment , but at least its toolless

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%