Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Traditional knife pairings.

Aloha · 48 · 1860

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Traditional knife pairings.
on: January 07, 2021, 06:25:12 PM
Since I've began to carry a traditional folder daily I've tired to balance what I carry it with. 

For starters I like to carry scissors so a SAK tends to cover that.  I always carry a 58mm for my scissor need which works out pretty good for the most part.  The Classic pictured is one I have now carried for a little while tho a Manager is one I've always carried with my keys for a very long time now.  So, its 2 58mms however I do not always have my keys with me as I don't always drive.  The one pictured is one I will always have with me.  Makes sense?

I've come to appreciate my LM Squirts so much so I have a few.  I find having a pair of pliers is a good thing so they have won a permanent spot in my daily carry.

I'm still having such a great time carrying traditional knives that I've decided to carry one every day.  The Case knives you see in the top of the picture make the daily carry cut.  The one on the left ( Small Trapper ) is a favorite.  I picked I t up preowned and have carried it everyday at work.  Its paired with the blue Squirt and my ever present Classic.  I use a leather slip that nicely carries both Case and Squirt while the Classic has its own sheath.  The large Psalm 23 Case Trapper is carried on my off days.  Its paired with the black Squirt and as always the Classic.  The Large Case and Squirt are carried in a leather slip as well.

Those two options make up my parings that I never think twice about.  One option for work and one for off days. 

Now that said you can see I have other traditional knives.  I also have another Squirt but its a P4 with no scissors.  Those traditional knives are ones I like to carry as well.  I have a Style and pictured is a Wenger PTC.  Around the house I carry one of the tradionals on the lower part of the picture and either the Squirt P4 or Style.  Since the Squirt lacks scissor I add in the PTC when I choose that option. 

What do you pair with your traditional folders?       

IMG_1839.jpg
* IMG_1839.jpg (Filesize: 265.89 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Traditional knife pairings.
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:31:22 PM
Another traditional folder   ;)   usually one that compliments the other ie. different blade shapes. I also carry a Leatherman on my belt.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 06:35:57 PM
 :like: Love that concept as well.  Traditional folders pair very nicely with other traditional folders. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline haackeg

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 09:40:47 PM
I'm much like you.  In my pocket lately is my Vic Classic and LM Squirt on a "toolchain" (no keys - only tools) with my light and a prybar.  This gets paired with either one of my Case knives (I love Stockmen and Copperheads), Buck 301 or my latest, a RR Large Stockman.   :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 09:47:01 PM
 :like:  Nice tools pairings.  As I sat and thought about how I pair certain tools it always makes sense to me to carry a 58mm.  I occasionally need more grip than my fingers can handle or the ability to grasp things I don't want to touch or cannot.  This is where the Squirts shine but also they do well with the other tools on board. 

Good call on the pry bar.  Its always a great tool to carry especially since it is multipurpose.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 02:58:46 AM
I either pair mine with a Swisstool or Rebar, or a PTC or Exec.  It's nice having a toolset to back up a trade blade.  Sometimes it's a Super Tool, Swisschamp, Soldier... :facepalm:. Decisions :D
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 03:59:36 AM
Those all good parings.  I am having such a good time pairing my trads with other tools.  I think what is very exciting is how Steve and David pair their trads with other trads.  I don't have quite the variety so there are times when I am pairing similar blades.  One trad I think is really fun to pair is my Stockman pattern.  Man so many options with that one.  While I don't have a lot of single blade trads I can really see the fun in those too.  Makes pairing with them really fun. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 07:39:48 PM
I now have quite the variety  :whistle: to pair.  Its still a fun thing to do to try and pair my trads.   I have loved pairing with other trads and especially like SS and Carbon parings.  I also like larger and smaller trad pairings.  One trad in particular has been my food go to trad, my Tribal lock. 

This journey continues to be one of the most fun experiences yet. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 08:47:42 PM
The combinations are endless!

I start with my base carry, a Vagabond with 3D Phillips, front left pocket, a Buck 112 Slim Select, rides front right pocket,  and a LM Rebar on the belt in sheath.

Then I compliment those 3 with a Traditional.  I like spearpoints, lambs foot, wharncliffes  and clip points in that order.   Favorite patterns Case Tribal lock, Buck Canoe, Case Copperhead, Buck Stock man and Case Copperlock.    And also, other patterns of select manufactures. Ex; Queen, Rough Ryder, Hen & Rooster, etc

For dress up, the 112 will step aside for a Buck 501, the Rebar, for a LM Style PS, and any of the above trads.

Most times I find myself spending as much time select the sharps, as I do my shirt and slacks. :whistle:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 08:59:09 PM
 :D

They are endless.  I enjoy seeing what everyone carries in the trad thread.  Initially I didn't consider another trad, how newbie of me.  Now I love pairing trads with trads. 

I would say my starting point is my Midnight Manager.  I then choose my Tony Bose stockman, then its a free for all. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 10:08:52 PM
I always carry a MiniChamp in it's pouch, on my keyring.  Generally, I've got a large stockman with me also.

* 0916221926_HDR.jpg (Filesize: 287.09 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 10:34:57 PM
Mighty 58s.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 12:54:11 AM

* 1609028252508.jpg (Filesize: 142.14 KB)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 03:24:50 PM
To followup on yesterday’s post,  a picture of my sharp trio and today’s trad

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 03:31:26 PM
 :like:

As with modern folders my thoughts were to carry one.  SAKs seemed perfect to pair with each other and are.  When it came to traditional folders for some reason paring them together didn't click. 

I am really enjoying trying different paring.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 04:17:50 PM
Here are a few pairings I enjoy.  As mentioned I like to pair SS with Carbon.  I also like the little trads so pairing them with a bigger one works out nicely.  Mighty 58mm is a full time carry so nothing has changed with that.

I have enjoyed my trad journey so much.  I do have favorites but I try to carry each within reason.  I have toted 3 trads at times just because I didn't want to leave one behind  :D.  Thankfully I like the smaller ones so it was not at all cumbersome. 

As with any knife I carry ( minus SAKs ) I like to use them in the kitchen.  This is where the single blade SS trads are fun.  I also use my Tony Bose stockman in the kitchen as well.  The little ones are utilized for everyday tasks.  The little blades are great in that respect. 

* IMG_6996.jpg (Filesize: 146.91 KB)

* IMG_6997.jpg (Filesize: 133.32 KB)

* IMG_6998.jpg (Filesize: 170.02 KB)

* IMG_6999.jpg (Filesize: 134.09 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 02:35:05 AM
The Tribal Lock is pretty sweet...and glad to see you're still enjoying the Peanut and the Caribbean blue Copperhead! :like:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 04:33:24 AM
To followup on yesterday’s post,  a picture of my sharp trio and today’s trad

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

I do like a nice Yella Comp.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 05:40:50 PM
@ FarmerX, I really like both a LOT. 

Todays paring is one I tend to do often.  Its much like how I paired SAKs.  A 58mm along with a larger SAK. 

One thing I really like to do is Carbon and SS.  Today is Tony Bose with 154CM and Boker USA in Carbon.  I like a larger Trad with a smaller one.  It ends up being quite a few edges but thats not a bad thing  :D.

* IMG_7008.jpg (Filesize: 46.25 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 08:19:32 PM
Very nice!  :like: The Stockman!

Today, to compliment the 112 and Rebar I added a Texas Jack and a Hen&Rooster pen knife.

I do like thicker handles and the Hen m’s scales  do not disappoint

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 09:27:11 PM
Very nice.  I'll have to show how I pair in a sheath a trad and a squirt.  Thats my go to paring then I add another trad.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 07:24:16 AM
Some mighty fine pairings! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #22 on: November 20, 2022, 03:20:44 PM
A Blue work knife, paired with a Blue Canoe, both in Micarta.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 03:46:29 PM
I've been eyeing some RR, for research that is  :whistle:.  Those are some nice looking trads.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 04:30:41 PM
I've been eyeing some RR, for research that is  :whistle:.  Those are some nice looking trads.
They are well built, the Work Knife is solid and it is used at my house just as named.
IMHO, this Canoe is just a tad overbuilt, I have an older version spelled Rider in Green which is very nice.  Also a Barlow.  And a Reserve built   hedgehog, which a fine top end knife.
Also a Moose, which is also an overbuild, pretty, but to pretty to carry.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2022, 04:45:18 PM
 :tu: Thank you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2022, 06:08:54 PM
:tu: Thank you.
SMKW must have just restocked on RR inventory.   I reviewed about 15 pages of items, and selected about 15 items, then paired it down to two knives and a pick.
Free shipping on $35, so now leave cart till later tonight or Monday before checking out.
FYI a nice Red Worm scaled Barlow and a Simple Canoe are waiting with a couple others Saved for later. The 3 items at 36. 🤪

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #27 on: November 21, 2022, 06:25:07 AM
I have one Rough Ryder, a tiny toothpick from their "Blue Mule" line. Blade centering is a little iffy, and the edge grind is rough. Otherwise, fit and finish ate very good, and it's decently sharp. It's better than an $8 knife has any right to be.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022, 04:04:54 PM
There are some reserve knives that caught my attention.  I'm ok with poo edges as long fit and finish is good.  I also wouldn't want one too overly built.  The nail nick is one thing that I not too much a fan of and I dont know why?  It looks like and eye with long eye lash  :dunno:

The two that stand out to me are RRR Barlow and EZ Open but both out of stock.  The RRR One Arm Razor is also a neat one but also not in stock.  I'm sure if I look around........  I'm not at this moment but things change  :whistle: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #29 on: November 21, 2022, 05:21:04 PM
There are some reserve knives that caught my attention.  I'm ok with poo edges as long fit and finish is good.  I also wouldn't want one too overly built.  The nail nick is one thing that I not too much a fan of and I dont know why?  It looks like and eye with long eye lash  :dunno:

The two that stand out to me are RRR Barlow and EZ Open but both out of stock.  The RRR One Arm Razor is also a neat one but also not in stock.  I'm sure if I look around........  I'm not at this moment but things change  :whistle:
Limited quantities on those as I understand, if returned to stock will have different scales or other tweaks.

Other Reserve patterns are nice scales but weird combination of blade shapes. And now also releasing modern slip joints with screw on covers via the Apta(?) pattern.

Be patient, soon there will be a bunch of new releases, like fishing lures to fisherman.  For me the old PURPLE CRAWLER, is still the winner!

Hope yours is as good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%