Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New battery time

chip · 20 · 1441

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
New battery time
on: November 06, 2020, 06:36:27 PM
 Pretty much 3 years ago to the day I bought a heap of olight torches. And as it’s been 3 years today I thought I would go online and buy replacement batteries for them all, I managed to get the propriety batteries for all apart from my nova hr1. It appears olight have stopped selling them on their uk site anyway.

They still sell rechargeable Batteries that will work in it, just you will no longer be able to actually charge them in the torch itself. Of all the torches I own the hr1 is the one I use everyday Walking the dog and the one that in light charging is the most convenient for me.  >:(

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: New battery time
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 06:52:15 PM
Are you not able to use any 16340 battery in that flashlight? :(
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 07:12:07 PM
it will work with all (R)CR123A batteries, but if you want to charge them in the torch itself like most of its torches you need a olight specific battery with both contacts on the tail end for charging.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 09:55:20 PM
That sucks. :rant:

All hail the hook!

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 10:47:26 PM
I had the same problem before with a previous baton torch that I used every day, after two years I tried to buy a replacement battery to find it was no longer supported so had to buy a standard one I had to take out of the torch to charge.

It’s the price you pay for progress I suppose.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 11:51:23 PM
That sucks.  I hate lights with proprietary batteries for that exact reason.  At least it can still use regular 16340 batteries.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 11:53:17 PM

It’s the price you pay for progress I suppose.

We can push back by voting with our money. :2tu:
Olight will never get any of mine for proprietary lights. :salute:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 08:53:51 AM
Well that's bizarre and utterly bewildering, quite a few lights used the customised RCR123a, myself I use a H1(with R conversion kit) as my daily driver head torch and am fond of my S1R baton. They seem to have made the jump completely to the IMR16340 battery, it's different chemistry but the same charging tech one would assume, very curious to see if it would still work in the older lights  :dunno:

Looks like a lesson to buy a bunch of spares in future when buying a new light  :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 12:16:19 PM
Someone asked the same question on their Facebook page yesterday.

They are currently out of stock and new stock is on the way.
No worries.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 02:13:38 PM

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 02:14:30 PM
:ahhh

Sounds horrible...

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 05:01:47 PM
I have sent olight an email asking wether they will be restocking batteries that can be recharged inside the H1R, so will let you know if/when they reply.

Apart from my H1R I use everyday walking my dog I have another I keep in my car which has often proved handy.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 07:06:46 PM
Today I received a reply from olight  and it as I thought.

“ Thanks for your email. Unfortunately the H1R battery has since been discontinued and we have since sold out of this battery. You can still use a rcr123 battery in this torch but it will have to be charged externally and will not be compatible with the magnetic tail cap. Apologies for any inconvenience.“

I will use my old battery until it is no longer reliable and then have to buy a couple of standard rechargeable batteries and swap them out as necessary.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 07:15:08 PM
For this reason ^^^ i am bummed I got the proprietary light using battery.  One awesome advantage was that magnetic charging  :twak:.  Its not the end of the world as I charge other cells independently of the light but still. 

I was in the market for new 14500's that I bought a few years ago from Olight and I couldn't find them anywhere ( to be fair I did find them on fleabay ).  Good thing is there are numerous other 14500s avail. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 07:26:37 PM
I managed to get batteries for my other lights so I am good for another 3 or 4 years on that score. By that time my lights will be 7 years old and if I am flush may consider replacing them. If I do I will think twice about lights that require proprietary batteries to charge them in the light as this will make them easier  to sell when it comes to selling them on.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 01:27:44 PM
Would this one work?

https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-16340-s1r-ii.html

Hope links are still ok. This battery is in my new headlamp the perun mini.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 01:35:09 PM
Hi, thanks. A guy on the uk olight Facebook group has just made one of these batteries work by trimming the plastic down around the positive.

It’s not ideal but works never the less. :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 02:15:12 PM
I have an olight s80 baton  - the light works fine but the battery lasts for 5 minutes and it cannot be replaced easily with other batteries,,,,

Shame
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 02:19:06 PM
That's a bummer.  No more lights with proprietary cells for me.  There are enough good lights that accept cell we can get easily so that's the route I'll go for any new light for me. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD