Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mike Horn knife

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Re: Mike Horn knife
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 07:41:04 PM
I couldn't afford a Wenger Mike horn a couple of years back so i consoled myself with the black Swiza model, that new one looks real nice, i like it  :tu:

I avoid Swiza now though after they informed me it was illegal for me to buy one of their knives and refused the purchase, i tried explaining there is no law here or there that forbids me to import a locking knife but it fell on deaf ears, they were adamant it was illegal and that was that, so here is my second and final Swiza, though Mike Horn website can and will post to me so who knows...i do like the wooden one afterall :D

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:10:21 PM
I have the older EVO17. I'm not the biggest fan of Swiza, but I think the designs of these knives are much nicer-looking. The wood-pulp plastic of the Souvenir I have looks awful; kinda like barf with the semi-transparent chicken-broth color with miniscule wood shavings encapsulated inside.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:19:26 PM
The irony is that no one seemed to want the Wenger Mike Horn 130 Ranger. It was one of the most frequent models on eBay when stocks started drying up and yet it sports a truly unique blade pattern that was only ever released on that particular model of 130mm Ranger
It’s destined to become highly collectible.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:19:20 AM
The irony is that no one seemed to want the Wenger Mike Horn 130 Ranger. It was one of the most frequent models on eBay when stocks started drying up and yet it sports a truly unique blade pattern that was only ever released on that particular model of 130mm Ranger
It’s destined to become highly collectible.
Well it is a junky knife and due to that impractical for carry. I think many Wenger knives fall in that novelty category more interesting for collectors than for everyday use.

I think with the exception of the Alinghi knives, all of those more exotic models sold poorly (in stores in Switzerland) and went on sale after Wenger was gone*. And I'm not surprised to hear that the Mike Horn Ranger was the least popular among those, while others like the Minathor or the Business tool were bought by non-collector for the novelty value.
The Bernina was sold through different channels (and I would bet you can still find it in store if you put in the leg-work).
Interesting enough that probably means that a large proportion of Mike Horn Rangers is in collectors hands, while a much larger part of the other models are in non-collector possession and will show up at amateur-flea-markets here in Switzerland.

* I bought both small and large Mike Horn, the Ueli Steck knives, Minathor (several), Bernina (several) and the Business Tool on sale.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 01:37:31 PM
The Wenger Mike Horn and its smaller counterpart may be the most important knives ever made by Wenger. Their value may increase exponentially in the next few years, based on opinions.

In fact, if you can find one now for under 1000 Euro you should consider buying it immediately as it may be the best investment currently available in knives and tools.

The fact that it was not popular means it might have sold in very small numbers and it may be highly collectible and sought after in the future.

BUY ONE, NOW!!!!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:41:00 PM
 :D :D :D :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 03:58:17 PM
For 1000 Euro I'm selling mine, just putting it out there...  :D
I also have Bernina, SwissGrip, Ueli Steck and Rescue Squadron (with the watch but not the case), man just checked ebay, the prices are crazy :ahhh
I don't believe that my collection is an investment.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 05:47:07 PM
I also have Bernina, SwissGrip, Ueli Steck and Rescue Squadron (with the watch but not the case), man just checked ebay, the prices are crazy :ahhh

It is not = Give it to me

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 05:49:53 PM
 :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 07:03:38 PM

Me neither, but would you believe my Souvenir EVO 17 came in a $25 SAK lot off the big auction site 3-4 years ago? It had been carried once or twice, and someone got somewhat sticky residue from using the can opener and not cleaning it; but otherwise mint.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 09:12:05 AM

Well, I reckon the Snow Rangers will become just as sought after  soon. I never see them listed these days.
I remember buying the squadron set (complete) it made me physically unwell spending so much at that time, maybe it was money well spent after all.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 09:14:19 AM
Well, I reckon the Snow Rangers will become just as sought after  soon. I never see them listed these days.
I remember buying the squadron set (complete) was one of the very last pieces I bought... it made me feel physically unwell spending so much at the time, maybe it was money well spent after all.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 09:15:46 AM

Er, no idea what happened there
Sorry for the duplicate

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 09:16:43 AM
You hit Quote instead of Modify. Happens to me all the time :P
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 09:17:11 AM
You hit Quote instead of Modify. Happens to me all the time :P

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 10:26:02 AM
 : :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 11:13:52 AM
I remember buying the squadron set (complete) it made me physically unwell spending so much at that time, maybe it was money well spent after all.
I got lucky with the Squadron Set, got mine at the Wenger Factory Outlet. Mine was complete too, but I ditched the case because it was bulky and I didn't need/want it. I actually carried that watch quite a while before switching to a smarsmurfch.

I think the risk with having knives as investment that economic crisis can depreciate the value very quickly. Even more so, if you have to sell quickly because you need the cash.
Furthermore, the Ranger family for example is considered a weapon in many countries, so, changes in law can mean that shipping of them will require a lot of bureaucracy/red tape. If you are suddenly restricted to local market for sale, then prices will drop dramatically (or at least that is my estimate).

That said, if you have the cash, why not. And maybe it turns out to be a good investment. But I suggest you don't rely on this for a retirement fund.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 11:29:39 AM
Had I invested money I invested/spent in knives/tools in the past decade on Gold, Bitcoin, Tesla, Apple..........  :)

Knives and tools do go up, they may double or treble in price but they will never match the exponential growth of some other commodities

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 12:00:39 PM
I lost €1000 in Bitcoin. Had I kept them I would have had €4000 profit. I'll stick to SAKs thank you very much :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 12:01:49 PM
so, you are happy you lost 3000?

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 01:27:47 PM
I got lucky with the Squadron Set, got mine at the Wenger Factory Outlet. Mine was complete too, but I ditched the case because it was bulky and I didn't need/want it. I actually carried that watch quite a while before switching to a smarsmurfch.

I think the risk with having knives as investment that economic crisis can depreciate the value very quickly. Even more so, if you have to sell quickly because you need the cash.
Furthermore, the Ranger family for example is considered a weapon in many countries, so, changes in law can mean that shipping of them will require a lot of bureaucracy/red tape. If you are suddenly restricted to local market for sale, then prices will drop dramatically (or at least that is my estimate).

That said, if you have the cash, why not. And maybe it turns out to be a good investment. But I suggest you don't rely on this for a retirement fund.

I agree prices will fluctuate
But my outlay has easily doubled, tripled..maybe even quadrupled??
I own 5x 130 snows mint boxed, bought at roughly £50 each, plus 5x Blaze at the same purchase price
Add the matching 85’s 4 of which are the 505 series
2 Giants that cost under £1k
Plus a further 600+ SAKs and MT’s

I don’t image I’ll lose money, but I will never sell, everything was bought as a heirloom for my son.
I must have well in excess of 100 display stands for my collection.

My only regret is that I didn’t buy more back then, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I wouldn’t buy now as the prices are crazy
But as I always said, the next generation of collectors will always have deeper pockets.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%