Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I Owe the Hook an Apology

us Offline Frailer

I Owe the Hook an Apology
on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:07 AM
Number me among those who has (until today) deemed the “multipurpose hook” nearly useless. Sure, the Compact’s hook has a nail file, and that often proves handy, but otherwise it’s a waste of space.

This evening I opened a new box of cat litter. After pushing in the perforated tab I struggled to extract it so the litter would pour freely. I tried my Compact’s combo tool, but no dice. Then a thought occurred to me...would the hook work?

Yes, it does. It works like it was made for the job.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: I Owe the Hook an Apology
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 12:54:12 AM
Number me among those who has (until today) deemed the “multipurpose hook” nearly useless.
 I tried my Compact’s combo tool, but no dice. Then a thought occurred to me...would the hook work?

Yes, it does. It works like it was made for the job.

Good use Frailer! :like: :tu: :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 02:27:08 AM
Great use, Frailer  :like:

I go back and forth on having a hook. Don’t need it very often, but when I need it, it seems the only tool to get the job done  :dunno:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 03:19:10 AM
Grabbing and pulling stuff seems to be my main use of it. Whether it be pulling pins, or getting the S-hooks of rubber tie downs we use on most double gates loose, it's handy. It's also great if you've got to carry any bucket with a wire handle any distance.

I'm wanting to pick up a Compact that has the nail file. I hoped my Golfer would be new enough to have one, but nope, no file.

On another note, my backup knife during the whole 111mm challenge so far has been a 74mm or no knife at all. Feels weird without the hook.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 03:31:11 AM
Welcome to the hook club!   :cheers:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 07:27:44 AM
The can opener would have worked nicely for that task, it's a good hook.  :pok:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:24:38 AM
Awarded.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 11:11:22 AM
Captain Hook!  :salute:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 11:37:07 AM
Good use and congratulations on the badge!  :cheers:

us Offline munsonhsr

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 08:24:24 PM
Well done!!  Congrats !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil ~  Awls Well That Ends Well :)

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 07:10:51 AM
You're hooked now.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 12:09:07 PM
I've been trying to be as minimalistic as possible. Executive alone. I missed having a larger blade for food prep. So, Midnite Manager + Bantam. Was thinking about trading the Bantam for a Waiter (3 more "tools").

Last week, I needed to change a flat tire. The bolts have a small cap over them, to protect them. I really missed having the hook with me...

So, long story short (too late for that, right?), now I'm with Midnite Manager + Compact. Some redundance, but that's never a problem.

The Compact is a little larger/heavier than what I was aiming at for EDC, but not that much. I think I might keep this setup for awhile.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 01:26:16 AM
Ha ha ha!

Nobody owes Hook an apology!!

Anything you could have done with any other tool or your bare hands, means you didnt need the hook.
That chocolate chip cookie-stealin', real estate robbing, two-bit, no-good, down-home, turf-kickin, p1ss-sweatin', useless, red-headed stepchild of a tool belongs nowhere!

Ha ha ha

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 01:27:39 AM
Did I mention backdoor-lurkin'?

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 06:15:15 AM
Well, all kiddifying aside, I did use my hook (on my Ranger) in dead earnest for the first time today. I used it to pull the insert out of a 5 gallon bucket spout. Worked splendidly.

I also used my woodsaw to cut the end off a plastic funnel, and my reamer to clean up the jagged edge of the cut I made. (The Farmer was jealous today. I could have used it for the funnel cutting and reaming, but it's still so new and nice I'm saving its saw blade for later).
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 07:14:49 AM
Well, all kiddifying aside[...]
Fair enough. I installed some elastic ties to stabilize a homemade cyclometer bracket on my stationary bike. It was sure a lot easier with a hook than with my fingers (plus, I have at least seven or eight SAKs with hooks squirreled away around my apartment, so one was definitely in close reach. This one happened to be a Huntsman.)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 08:21:22 AM
All you need is imagination. I use the fish scaler a lot, the double horn tip can manage a lot of tasks without ruining and scratching it. I never used it on fish, as most of us.
With the hook you can handle paracord, shoelaces (to tighten), rubberbands, wire (to twist), oil cans (the ones we use here, heavy and with wire handle that cuts your fingers), and a lot of other objects.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 09:00:01 AM
 :iagree: True enough! I used the hook recently to grab the thin cord of a pull-through cleaning cable in the breech on my air rifle - at times you just can’t grad it with your fingers!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 05:53:32 PM
Long live the hook!

I just used it the other day to work loose a very tight knot in the drawstring of a pair of pants.

Offline AmberDragon

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 10:39:10 PM
The hook is great. I just used mine to get into a new carton of milk that was sealed but missing its plastic pull tab: pen blade to make a slit to get the hook in; awl to punch a small hole to catch the tip of the hook; hook to pull out the seal cleanly. It worked so perfectly you can't even tell it was an improvised opening.

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 10:42:17 PM
Good use, AmderDragon! :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 04:49:48 AM
:iagree: True enough! I used the hook recently to grab the thin cord of a pull-through cleaning cable in the breech on my air rifle - at times you just can’t grad it with your fingers!

As a devil's advocate, I've cleaned gun barrels for everything from a .2w to a 12 guage. Never needed my swiss army knife hook. An air rifle may be smaller in diameter than even a .22 but they make cleaning kits for all guns. It didnt have to be a SAK hook.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 04:50:30 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

These are hilarious! I got a good laugh at these. I know how I sound but its funny

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 04:52:08 AM
All you need is imagination. I use the fish scaler a lot, the double horn tip can manage a lot of tasks without ruining and scratching it. I never used it on fish, as most of us.
With the hook you can handle paracord, shoelaces (to tighten), rubberbands, wire (to twist), oil cans (the ones we use here, heavy and with wire handle that cuts your fingers), and a lot of other objects.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

The fish scale has a dedicated purpose. Two actually. That "double horn tip" is a fish hook disgorger. Can you use it on other things? Of course

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 04:52:55 AM
Long live the hook!

I just used it the other day to work loose a very tight knot in the drawstring of a pair of pants.

Corkscrew. Works great for that and even frozen boot laces

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 05:08:11 AM
The hook is great. I just used mine to get into a new carton of milk that was sealed but missing its plastic pull tab: pen blade to make a slit to get the hook in; awl to punch a small hole to catch the tip of the hook; hook to pull out the seal cleanly. It worked so perfectly you can't even tell it was an improvised opening.

Hi Amber,

You seem much newer here than I am so I didnt want you to take this the wrong way. I just like to joke and rail against the hook. No offense is ever meant.  I just prefer the pre-hook SAKs. You will see in other hook related threads I do the same. So here goes:

By the time you used those 3 tools, I would have just used the pen knife to cut a notch or to cut around the hole, almost all the way around, then used the flat of the pen knife to lift it, then hold with the other hand and cut the remaining thread of it, throwing it away. Done.

Or opened it the old fashioned way if it is the cardboard type. Peel back, squeeze,  and create that little cardboard spout we of a certain age are so used to.

I maintain that the hook is a waste of materials and the engineering effort it took to bring to life.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 05:10:30 AM
I might even start a new thread:

"I used the metal say of my Mountaineer (or better yet, my  Leatherman Supertool) to cut off that stupid backspring hook"

Ha ha

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD