Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lot buy--did I overpay?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Lot buy--did I overpay?
on: January 21, 2021, 03:29:43 AM
I just won this lot on FleaBay, and I would like to request opinions. Total cost $47 shipped. Someone ran my $25 bid up quite a bit last minute to $38. I think I set my high bid too high when I came across the auction earlier this week. My standard for small used SAK lots such as this is a $25 budget/max bid. I think I overpaid as the seller didn't do good enough photos to show condition; as they had just this one mosaic photo. I set my starting bid too high at $50, as I thought the Rodania watch advertising Secretary was actually a watch case opener; and people want a premium for those.

Here is what I believe the lot contains and what I believe to be the approximate value going by sold eBay listings and averaging it out. I'm not reselling these (though I am swapping the Rodiana Secretary for a Vic or Wenger with the watch case opener blade).

Left column:

Classic SD missing toothpick--value to me, about $3.
Gardener--fair value, about $10.
Rodiana watch advertising Secretary. I don't know how to value it. There's a Bulgarian seller with one in poorer condition for $50 . I do notice that there seems to be a LOT of listings from Bulgarian eBay sellers with very heavily worn/junker knives for excessive prices, so I tend not to use their prices as guides. I say it's worth around $20, as those with watch advertising seem to be more desirable; as watch collectors buy them also. The thing also is that the eBay knife has an ad for a jeweler on one side; while mine has the Rodania ad on both handles.

Right Column.

Victorinox 58mm Companion (seller says glue on back handle). $10. It has no advertising for once.
Wenger Golfer--$10-15
Wenger EVO S101/Viking. Vikings are about $10-15 on eBay; and a new Evogrip S101 is $40.

So, by my math, close to $100 worth of SAKs. But, it's more than I typically spend on an eBay lot.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 04:06:20 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline FolderBeholder

Re: Lot buy--did I overpay?
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 04:22:17 PM
I did not bid on this lot, but I sure like the Rodania, plus you got some other decent knives.  :tu:
I've done worse. 
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:25:05 PM
Cripes - not seen such cheap lots in the UK for quite some time! Good score! :like:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:50:40 PM
It takes two sides to make a deal, a buyer and a seller.  If both sides walk away happy at the end then it was a good transaction. If you're happy with what you got then you didn't overpay for it. :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 07:29:58 PM
I find it difficult to assess value without seeing the tools. I place a fair amount of price weight on the tool condition. But off the cuff, you should be okay as long as they aren’t all smurfed.

But this is one reason why I hate bidding on knife lots. Usually end up paying more for the one knife that I do want. I think this is why sellers use this practice. I think it works for knives with relatively low values, but works against the seller with more valuable knives.

I’d like to see more pics when they come in.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 01:37:41 AM
Well shucks, good thing I didn't see this lot! I wonder how in tarnation I missed it.

Chances are, I would not have paid that much, but that's because I like to leave a good margin to resell. I try not to pay more than $2 for Classics, $5 for Spartans, Tinkers, Gardeners, and Managers, $7 for Climbers, Campers, and Super Tinkers, and $8-10 for Huntsmen and Fieldmasters. Basically I want to pay less than 1/4 of the new price.

However, if I look and it ticks all the boxes for being in very nice condition, I may pay a little more than 1/4, especially for the rarer and more expensive ones. Sometimes 1/3. In the case of a Swisschamp, I'll pay up to $40 if it's in real good shape. Only gotten one so far, and I paid $38 for it I think.

I probably shouldn't reveal my secrets.  :D Naturally I try to at least double my money on every knife. Triple on the Classics if possible. I'll take a smaller margin on a more expensive knife.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 06:35:25 AM
It takes two sides to make a deal, a buyer and a seller.  If both sides walk away happy at the end then it was a good transaction. If you're happy with what you got then you didn't overpay for it. :cheers:

:iagree: especially if reselling isn't what you're trying to do.  I think we've all overpaid a time or three.  I tend to buy what excites me when I see it.  Price is part of the transaction.  If I really find the item interesting that's a big plus.  If I really want the item that's another plus.  I always want to buy at a price that reflects my budget and as Alan says we both walk away feeling good. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 05:51:59 PM
I think you did fine.

Even if not, and you made a $47 mistake, that wouldn't be a big enough issue to be worth losing any sleep over IMO.
 :cheers:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 12:31:03 AM
I think you did fine.

Even if not, and you made a $47 mistake, that wouldn't be a big enough issue to be worth losing any sleep over IMO.
 :cheers:

Yeah, and it wouldn't be a $47 mistake anyhow...only a mistake by the difference of what you paid vs. what you might-should-have paid. But no it wasn't bad, especially if you wanted the knives.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%