Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Quandary for a "collectors" SAK- use or keep pristine?

gb Offline Grunthos

On a whim (I seem to be doing a lot of that lately) I managed to get hold of a 2011 "Cadet Plus" - basically a black alox cadet with a woodsaw.
Details here https://swissknives.info/cadet-plus-mini-farmer/

I really like Cadets as part of a rotating EDC (currently have a regular silver alox and a 2019 + 2020 LE which see some use).

Am slightly ambivalent about using the Cadet Plus given the price I paid, it's relative rarity (1 of 50) and, a secondary consideration, it's potential future value.

However, feel as if it should be getting some use out of it!

No doubt many of you have been through this before.

Guess I'm looking for validation to use and perhaps abuse it!

Comments?

🖖

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: A Quandary for a "collectors" SAK- use or keep pristine?
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 11:10:16 PM
Send future value to the wind...

If I get a SAK that I've wanted, I'm going to use it.  The person before you decided not to use it, and you paid a premium for it.  If you decide not to use it, the next person will pay an even higher premium.

So ultimately, you'll have one of three outcomes, and only one is favorable.

1.  You use this unique tool that means something to you

2.  You sell the tool someday, in mint condition.  Ultimately, you never got to use it, you won't have it, and you'll have a little extra money that won't even buy a week's worth of groceries.

3.  You keep the tool in mint condition, never get to use it, and you drop dead before you get a chance to sell it.  The executor of your estate sells it in a lot at less than cost.

Choose #1

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 11:11:04 PM
If it is your favorite model to use, then use it well and enjoy it. That is the primary purpose of a SAK

If it's just a whim that may soon be over, I wouldn't use this rare Mini Farmer, especially if it's new.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:13:01 PM
I always say that there's no wrong answer to this question.  It's yours, so do what you want with it.
The MTO approach would be to acquire a second one so you have one as a user and one as a shelf queen.

I can not however, condone abusing any SAK.

And congrats on your acquisition.
- Steve

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:26:13 PM
For me there are SAKs that I purchase only to admire and that are shelf queens.  I buy them for that purpose and I experience joy admiring them.
Then there are SAKs that might ordinarily be a shelf queen, but that I want to use (Vagabond), so I buy 2, one to use, one as a shelf queen.
Vagabond:

Shelf queen:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:29 PM
When in doubt, buy 2.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 11:41:46 PM
I fall into the middle on this.  If its something I have been wanting then I do carry it.  If its something I was not expecting to get and got one then I might very well put it away and see if the desire to carry is strong.  As to future value, this is one area I also find myself in the middle.  I have some items I know I can sell and reap some good money on as compared to what I spent.  On the other hand they were not bought for those reasons and its not like the money is going to be invested in a interest earning account or better. 

Over the years I've come to very much appreciate carrying and using items I have held onto but never used.  Theres a wonderful feeling in ownership as well as using the item. 

Best of luck with your decision.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 02:32:59 AM
Do what makes you happy.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 02:46:47 AM
For me there are SAKs that I purchase only to admire and that are shelf queens.  I buy them for that purpose and I experience joy admiring them.
Then there are SAKs that might ordinarily be a shelf queen, but that I want to use (Vagabond), so I buy 2, one to use, one as a shelf queen.
Vagabond:

Very nice SAKs FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 03:42:15 AM
Use it! It doesn't help that the MIni Farmer is my dream SAK. I have a Recruit, a Cadet, and a Walker. May build one using these three; as the Recruit and Cadet are cheap secondhand knives, and the Walker is not that expensive.

I like to carry my Master Gardener in the garden. It's the only "modern" SAK (it's 15 years old, and I wanted once since I was a kid) with the pruner blade. LED and Phillips are handy over say, a Harvester (which is superior in my opinion). For older knives (say 1980 and before); if they've seen a lot of use; I don't hesitate to throw it in the pocket. Sometimes, I will find sellers with boat loads of new, boxed older SAKs and USA-made traditional for peanuts; often with some type of advertising. Usually, I will buy two or three, setting aside a user, a collection knife, and a backup if the collection knife is traded; or the user is lost.

us Offline Ritornello

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 06:18:47 AM
I think a couple users here have the right idea. Use the knife if it is something which has a special utility value. Some items are meant to be admired, and their value (I'm not talking about monetary value) is in the nature of their being in good condition. If you have several knives with saws already, no sense in using the cadet's saw as it's not like you get special gratification at using that saw to cut wood. At the end of the day, cutting wood is cutting wood and it becomes menial no matter the tool. That being said, if your joy in the knife is of having it on you everywhere then use it in a way which won't deform it or cause any damage which would hurt it's value as an object of beauty. So, in short, use a shelf queen to your heart's content if you must, but if you mustn't, don't - the more beat up the knife looks the less value it will have to you being the thing of beauty that it is. If the item doesn't matter to you visually however then, by all means, use it.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 08:29:59 AM
I think EB is really close to the mark here, with the caveat from FB...

You should do what will bring you the most joy.

If that's carrying and using the SAK, then do that.

If that's keeping the SAK pristine and admiring it, then do that.

You already know what you want to do:
Guess I'm looking for validation to use and perhaps abuse it!

So, consider your choice validated!   :cheers:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 01:37:31 PM
My advice is to absolutely use and enjoy your SAKs!  :cheers:

Only my most sentimental SAK (my first, from my parents -- a Woodsman with scales engraved with my name) has been semi-retired. My next-most (my second, also a gift from my parents -- a Cybertool 34) is one of my most-used EDC for work.

Always have to ask yourself... would you prefer one day to look back at the times you've enjoyed using them, or ensure you have them safe and pristine, but unused? (applies to other things like guitars, watches, etc)

Fortunately, there's a wide range of use cases for SAKs. You can have some for dedicated hard use, some for moderate use, and some that are more for light or less frequent use.

Besides, they're quite tough and clean up well after decades of use  :drink:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 03:37:15 PM
As the Jersey Devil says, theres no such thing as too nice to use, just too nice not to use!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 06:52:06 PM
The fact that you are questioning whether you should use it means that you are not comfortable with using it.

It's your money and decision. You can always use it later if you decide to but once you use it it becomes used.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Real1

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 07:16:02 PM
The plastic slab SAK's are easy to polish with a soft wheel on a high speed drill. You objective is not to take out deep scratches or whatnot, but to give it the original sheen.

I used to use jeweler's rouge, but these days I just use that paste they give you in those headlight restoration kits. You can do this with a Dremel too...but be VERY careful, as their high speed can melt the slabs......the reason I went to a rechargeable drill.

Kevin

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 08:17:49 PM
Congrats on a fantastic score! A damn rare piece that's extremely hard to land.
I'd carry it and it would make me feel good just to have it in my pocket, but I would stick it in the leather pouch that came with the limited colors Cadets so it doesn't bang into keys or whatnot.
Even if you use the hell out of a SAK, you can always send it in to Ibach and they will make it like new again.
If you ever get tired of it let me know. I promise you a profit  :salute:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gb Offline Grunthos

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 10:06:37 PM
Thank you all (and I mean all) for your many and varied comments and opinions. Greatly appreciated. Didn't imagine I'd get such a detailed response in so short a time  :salute:

Long story short I am going to use (but not abuse!) the Min-Farmer Cadet. Have already placed a suspension clip on her and (as microbe has just suggested) she will be residing in a nice little black pouch.
(There's probably some sort of double entendre in that last sentence). :D

A couple of snaps attached below for information...

Most of my SAKS are "users". There's only really one that I have bought to keep and store (a Huntsman Year of the Ox edition)  purely because I have a significant birthday this year. A triumph of heart over head. As I already have a couple of Huntsmen another one in the bottom of a drawer won't be too difficult to deal with.
My first SAK, a trusty, venerable, 37yr old Champion c, has been semi retired but will still be used despite all the competition for attention.

Thanks again and stay safe out there.

Mini Farmer 1a.jpg
* Mini Farmer 1a.jpg (Filesize: 340.34 KB)
Mini Farmer 2.jpg
* Mini Farmer 2.jpg (Filesize: 171.56 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 02:23:07 PM
 :like: I'm sure it'll be a great feeling to have such a lovely SAK with you when you carry it. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 10:07:12 PM
I wish I could be more free spirited sometimes. I don’t use ANY of mine. I’m the same with everything. I have to have the best, but then never use them!!!
My Leica binoculars are locked away, instead I use a cheap pair of used Helios.
My best power tools are locked away, instead I use cheap smurf tools
My super expensive canon DSLRs (Full Frame) along with several L lenses are tucked away, instead I use cheap old aps-c  cameras with cheap old lenses.
I pine to have the best I can afford and then  never use it. It’s tragic.

So, yes I wish I could just use stuff.

I don’t know who wrote this....

Use It Up
Wear It Out
Make It Do
Or Do Without

Would love to!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:35:56 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

au Online Brock O Lee

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 01:12:32 AM
I like this old quote from Sal Glesser, the owner of Spyderco:

We've built a few collector pieces but most Spydercos are hungry and like to eat. As mentioned, open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. All of the effort that we put into designing and building the knife is found in using the knife; The horsepower in the steel, the edge, the ergos, sophisticated mechanisms, carefully chosen materials or custom made materials, history of and refinements to the design, etc. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it.” - Sal Glesser

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 01:36:23 AM
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 05:13:56 AM
One more suggestion: mod one. And use that.

And if I take my own advice, it may be another slippery slope, as I don’t own a cadet yet. Not that I can recall. But the mini Farmer might suit me well in the garden.

The thought of using something that is 1 of 50 freaks me out a lil bit.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline Altis

Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 08:08:19 AM

And if I take my own advice, it may be another slippery slope, as I don’t own a cadet yet. Not that I can recall. But the mini Farmer might suit me well in the garden.

At least if it's a mod you can make another. The ones I'd really be concerned about losing either have sentimental value or are discontinued models (especially if they can't be rebuilt as a mod). Even then, I think it's still worth using them -- who else is going to enjoy them for us?  :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 10:17:17 AM
I like Sal, but he does have a reason to want us to wear down his products.
He also distinguishes that collector pieces are just that, pieces to be kept in a collection. :)

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline ComboTool

Reply #25 on: January 26, 2021, 10:34:17 AM
[…]
That's a double-edged sword (no pun intended): the time and effort put into a mod could make it even more valuable to you. And any handmade mod is in essence #1 of 1.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 05:06:25 PM
As I think about this more.......  When I buy items as a cutlery enthusiast I am factoring in why I am buying.  I think at this stage of the hobby its part of my process and not something I have written down like a list or something.  Its   

If the item I buy is not something I have wanted to try or not something I'd typically carry but something bought because its "collectable" or "rare" or interesting to me, etc, then putting into the collection is where it belongs.  The times when putting my items into the collection is not where it belongs are items bought that are of no interest to me or I have multiples of.  I know they have monetary value to others and are bought to sell or trade.  I am not trying to make a killing just a few bucks which helps with future purchases.       

Ownership is a big part of my enjoyment.  I don't have to put items to use to enjoy.  I began my journey as a user however I also very much enjoyed buying to fondle.  While cutlery is designed to use, I enjoy the design, craftsmanship, history, materials, and many other aspect of cutlery. 

There are items I have bought that are in my "grey" area.  These items I tend to evaluate by the cost of carry.  I probably have to mention at this point that I rarely if ever buy NEW items.  My circumstances then are different than some of you.  That said my "cost of carry" is likely not high as compared to a item bought NIB or similar by some of you. 

When I buy an item I have wanted to try and its rare/or has a monetary value ( if I sell ) I do like to carry it.  My cost of carry is factored regardless of purchase price. I never have to factor in enjoyment of ownership.  I think we all understand this.  Cost of ownership is then what it seems to boil down to? 

Only you can decide  :tu:.  There is no right or wrong decision.  I'd suggest tho, if you buy something expensive but you bought it to carry, carry it.  The cost of carry will be subtracted from the purchase price BUT factor in your experience carrying it.  If you sell you might take a financial hit but it wont be a total loss.  Don't think about what you paid vs sell price.  The difference is your cost of carry but you learned something.

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 06:38:57 PM
As I think about this more.......  When I buy items as a cutlery enthusiast I am factoring in why I am buying.  I think at this stage of the hobby its part of my process and not something I have written down like a list or something.  Its   

If the item I buy is not something I have wanted to try or not something I'd typically carry but something bought because its "collectable" or "rare" or interesting to me, etc, then putting into the collection is where it belongs.  The times when putting my items into the collection is not where it belongs are items bought that are of no interest to me or I have multiples of.  I know they have monetary value to others and are bought to sell or trade.  I am not trying to make a killing just a few bucks which helps with future purchases.       

Ownership is a big part of my enjoyment.  I don't have to put items to use to enjoy.  I began my journey as a user however I also very much enjoyed buying to fondle.  While cutlery is designed to use, I enjoy the design, craftsmanship, history, materials, and many other aspect of cutlery. 

There are items I have bought that are in my "grey" area.  These items I tend to evaluate by the cost of carry.  I probably have to mention at this point that I rarely if ever buy NEW items.  My circumstances then are different than some of you.  That said my "cost of carry" is likely not high as compared to a item bought NIB or similar by some of you. 

When I buy an item I have wanted to try and its rare/or has a monetary value ( if I sell ) I do like to carry it.  My cost of carry is factored regardless of purchase price. I never have to factor in enjoyment of ownership.  I think we all understand this.  Cost of ownership is then what it seems to boil down to? 

Only you can decide  :tu: .  There is no right or wrong decision.  I'd suggest tho, if you buy something expensive but you bought it to carry, carry it.  The cost of carry will be subtracted from the purchase price BUT factor in your experience carrying it.  If you sell you might take a financial hit but it wont be a total loss.  Don't think about what you paid vs sell price.  The difference is your cost of carry but you learned something.

Wise words as awlways Aloha, wise words  :salute:
They don't like it up 'em!

au Offline Valkie

Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 09:54:00 PM
I like to use my knives.

And Im very careful not to damage them

But once they are damaged, I use them mercilessly.

Thats what they are for...
tools is what defines us as humans

au Offline Valkie

Reply #29 on: January 26, 2021, 10:07:46 PM
Just as an aside comment.

I was given this knife by my work over 25 years ago.

It is my basic rough knife, I use it when doing any electrical work or working on my car.

It needs to be cleaned regularly as it gets covered in grease, crap, paint and all manner of unknown stuff.

But even with all this abuse, it dont look all that bad.

The tips of both blades have been bent and bent back, with signs of scratching on both visible.

the scales are nothing but scratches on the whole surface, both sides.

But it dont look all that bad.

Although, compared to my brand new Alox, it looks a little rough
old 1.jpg
* old 1.jpg (Filesize: 252.74 KB)
old 2.jpg
* old 2.jpg (Filesize: 214.39 KB)
old 3.jpg
* old 3.jpg (Filesize: 208.59 KB)
tools is what defines us as humans

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!