Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I like my Center Drive so much I bought a Second!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
I like my Center Drive so much I bought a Second!
on: January 24, 2021, 01:54:06 PM
I have had a CenterDrive since Gerber first introduced the Model..My only real complaint was the Sheath especially with the Bit Kit inside the secondary pocket. Other than that it has been a Great Toll around the House and out in the Big Truck at Work,,There have been many days even though I might have been carrying a Leatherman Wave with Bit Kit I still had my CenterDrive close at hand in my GoWorkBag (I drive a Semi for a LTL Company and Slipseat Daily). Most Times that is where the Tool is making it a bit easier to carry while I keep a MP600,Diesel, or Old Style Suspension on my Belt oddly enough though in the Original Sheath for my CenterDrive, I replaced the Sheath with one of the Adjustable ones available from Gerber.
Overall its been a Good Tool. I do admit that I have not "Pushed" the cutters hard and avoided anything harder than a Coat Hanger and I keep a spare set tucked away just in case.To me its for light duty wire cutting and thats it. The Tool Set on it is what Gerber says it is. Recently my Wife and I had to sell my Late Mother In Laws House which involved alot of DIY Work and on the Weekends the CenterDrive was invaluable on my Belt and saved me alot of extra trips to my Tools.In my Opinion the CenterDrive was definetely designed for Folks in the Trades. Bieng able to get at the Pliers/Cutters,Knife, and Driver with One Hand is great. Working around the House I do recommend keeping the Straight Bit in the Driver and a Phillips in the Holder on the Tool. Speaking of Bits a Long Shank Phillips is a great Addition to the Bit Kit, especially with Appliances like Vacuum Cleaners. The Bit Driver cant get inside alot of recessed areas,but alot of regular Drivers suffer from that issue as well.
Other than the Cutters, I wouldnt get too crazy with the Pry Tool inside the Handle. especially if getting a bit more leverage means the Tool is now pushing on the Lock Release. Personally, I think Gerber would have been better off  with a Large Straight Driver with Bottle Opener, or maybe a second Bit Driver in the Handle. Awhile Back gerber introduced another CenterDrive that replaced the Inside Serrated Sheepsfoot with a pair of Scissors. I would love to see them do this again but instead of Scissors a Wood Saw Blade or Holder for One out of a JigSaw...I like this Tool enough that a Couple of Weeks back at a Wal Mart I made an Impulse Purchase of another without a Bit Kit to wear on my Belt while my First stays Full Time in my GoWorkBag with the Bit Kit and all the Extra Bits that I have picked up for it
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: I like my Center Drive so much I bought a Second!
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:48:45 PM
Congratulations Dtrain, on your newest tool; remember that there is no such thing as impulse buy here at MT.o, just deeply founded decisions! :think: :rofl:

The Centerdrive is one great tool (and now Gerber's flagship model, as I understand) so, understanding its limits will get you many years of satisfactory service. If interested, I think there is somewhere in here a post (I think from Chopper Charles)were he installed the blade exchanger from a Pro Scout into his CenterDrive as a drop in mod. Mind you, it was an inside tool, but improved on it. Good luck on your new tool and happy mod'ding if you go that route!
 :like: :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 02:30:10 AM
I have had mine for a few years now and have used and abused it.   The great thing is, it just keeps on getting the job done!  It's my go to tool, and if it's not on my belt it rides in my car.  I agree about the saw, which is the only thing that keeps it from being just about perfect, in my opinion.  I'm on my second sheath, but that seems to be a Gerber thing across the board.
I've done a Center Drive Challenge in the past.   If anyone is interested, I'm free all year except March, April, August and November.   
Barry

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 02:56:17 AM
Man I want a Centerdrive so bad.  I feel like it would be an excellent tool to carry on the job during the week. The deal breaker for me is the sprung pliers.  I realized my disdain for them when I had my MP1.  If they would make an unsprung version I'd snap one up right away.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 01:52:01 AM
I have gotten used to Sprung Pliers over the years myself
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56