Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case versus Moore 361

Newbie Posts: 29
Case versus Moore
« on: January 24, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
Just trying to get thoughts an opinions on this. Picked up this Moore knife up at an antique shop @Lake Tahoe. It was badly rusted and I wondered why anyone would let a knife get that rusty if not left outside. After I got it all cleaned up, I was soon to find out that it's rusted while you were looking at it. So I Googled Moore Knives from Matador, TX.

From what I was able to discern they never really made any knives there....just put their name on them. Which got me wondering who made those knives? Which brings me to the pic attached. The Case knife is a dead ringer for the Moore. Am I off on this, or did Case make the knives for Moore?

To hear some Texans lament about Moore knives, you'd think they were the end-all knife ever made.

Kevin

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:20:06 PM by Real1 »
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,610 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Case versus Moore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 09:33:54 PM »
The trapper knife pattern, clip point and spey blade, is one of the classics of the old school knives, many manufacturers made them.

Why do you think Case made it? I have a feeling Case was/is too proud of their knives to put someone else's name on something they make. :think:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:18:03 PM »
Well, I'm just guessing. In part because they feel very similar to use and fold out/in. Also, because the Texans thought so highly of their Moore knives and the fact that Moore never made anything.....got me to thinking that perhaps it was a re-badged Case. Maybe Case never did anything like that, I dunno.

Someone made those Moore knives for Moore.......they are of decent quality.

Kevin

No Life Club Posts: 4,775
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:27 PM »
Moore Maker is really confusing as to who made what. Camillus (the original company), Utica, Bear and Son, and Queen have all made knives for Moore Maker. I think Boker in Germany even made one (the Kaiser automatic knife is a rebadged Boker Speed Lock auto) I have a lockback from Bear and Son; a Double Lockback Trapper from Utica, and a Trapper from Queen.  Oddly, the Trapper is the worst of the three. It was one that was never finished (hadn't been sharpened, lacked final polishing) at the Queen factory. I would say that most likely if Moore Maker had gotten it, they would have rejected it and sold it as a second.  Moore Maker's own QC beats any of the companies contracted to make the knives. Weird how they're so well known in Texas, but here in Virginia, I have yet to see a store selling their products.  The double lockback came from Moore Maker's arm selling the seconds (it's got a sealed crack on the pile side scale) on eBay, the lockback South Texas Tack (mainly because the shipping Moore Maker asks is somewhat high), and the Queen some seller in PA.  I can't afford GEC, so the traditional American knives I buy new these days are either Moore Maker or Case.

What's the tang stamp? I Know usually, there's a set of letters at the end. "U" usually means Utica, "B" means Bear. Since the handles on that one are Delrin, I'm guessing Bear.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 12:28:34 AM »
Wow.....thanks for all that!!! I had no idea that so many houses made knives for Moore Maker. Nothing is on my tang stamp other than 'Moore Maker Inc/Matador, TX'.

One blade has a '3202' stamp on it. If Case made this knife, it would have been like their Trapper(which I have next to it in the pic).

I've never seen a knife rust like this one. I can't carry it in my pocket even oiled without rusting. I realize that's a steel issue, but still. I would have to sit down every night I carried and wipe/oil it. Ain't gonna happen.

So yeah, very confusing provenance linage for the Moore Maker knives. I gotta laugh at the Texans who think Moore Maker made these knives down in Matador......they are adamant!

I lived in Dallas for a number of yrs and never saw Moore Maker knives. But I was buying fixed blade hunter and survival type knives. I could have missed them, as I wasn't buying pocket folders then.

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:41:11 AM by Real1 »
No Life Club Posts: 4,775
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 09:08:41 PM »
I just learned Case is making some Moore Makers now, I guess because no one else could match the quality of old Queens. There are patterns based on the 18 Stockman, 07 Mini Trapper, and 54 Trapper. These all have the suffix "C" in the model number, and Moore Maker decided to screw everything up by using their numbering convention and not Case's.  The 5301C is the 18 Stockman (which technically would be a 6318CV), the 07 (technically a 6207CV) is the 5200C, and the 54 (technically a 6254CV) is a 5201C.  They are all smooth white bone--I wish there was some stag and yellow bone using Case-based patterns.

Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,541
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 01:14:24 AM »
I just learned Case is making some Moore Makers now, I guess because no one else could match the quality of old Queens. There are patterns based on the 18 Stockman, 07 Mini Trapper, and 54 Trapper. These all have the suffix "C" in the model number, and Moore Maker decided to screw everything up by using their numbering convention and not Case's.  The 5301C is the 18 Stockman (which technically would be a 6318CV), the 07 (technically a 6207CV) is the 5200C, and the 54 (technically a 6254CV) is a 5201C.  They are all smooth white bone--I wish there was some stag and yellow bone using Case-based patterns.

A link would be helpful

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD