Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old French Multi-Tools: Bargeon, Pradel, Begon and any others

00 Offline SgtTowser

I have been trying to learn some about Old French Multi Tools, since I have lately grown fond of Wenger’s—the French speaking wing of Suisse Army Knives.

So far, it appears very old Pradels with the fishing weight on the blade, or tang, were well made knives that became widely copied and so it is hard to distinguish real Pradel’s from about the 1930s onward.

Bargeon knives seem to be generally higher quality than Pradels and less copied, so easier to identify, but rarer.

Begon seems good quality, but I see few examples on French EBay.

All these brands made non multi tool knives,but those are not what interest me.

If anyone can weigh in on the virtues, or lack there of, of these three French brands, and alert me to other brands, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Old French Multi-Tools: Bargeon, Pradel, Begon and any others
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 06:10:29 AM
Not knife-based MTs, and considerably more recent than the 1930's, but here some French made(I think)  Plier-based MT brands/models that I have:

L'Electric (marked as SGDG France)

Seaboard

Wichard

KITA Le Depanneur (black or chrome)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 07:21:18 AM
Thanks!

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 12:18:46 AM
Not knife-based MTs, and considerably more recent than the 1930's, but here some French made(I think)  Plier-based MT brands/models that I have:

L'Electric (marked as SGDG France)

Seaboard

Wichard

KITA Le Depanneur (black or chrome)

Don't know if I've posted these before but here are some that I own.
#1 Hi-Test
#2 Hoffritz Germany(but obviously a French made tool)
#3 L'Electric Brevete SGDG #1 has a glass breaking tool(broken)just visible on the left of picture.
#4 Same tool with an awl substituted for the glass breaker.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 09:06:10 AM
Don't know if I've posted these before but here are some that I own.
#1 Hi-Test
#2 Hoffritz Germany(but obviously a French made tool)
#3 L'Electric Brevete SGDG #1 has a glass breaking tool(broken)just visible on the left of picture.
#4 Same tool with an awl substituted for the glass breaker.

Good to see some of the older fixed-plier MTs  :tu:

There was obviously some "borrowing" of designs & manufacturing techniques etc between different countries when some of these MTs were designed and made (I guess there is nothing new about that, it still goes on today, but we now call it IP theft   ;) )

I have a Hi-Test MT that is stamped "JAPAN"  on the knife tang, and another very similar unbranded MT also stamped "JAPAN",  Does yours have a similar stamping ?

I have a Hoffritz, Germany MT, and another almost identical MT with "Voss Cut(lery) Co , Germany" stamped on the knife tang, and also "D.G.M." on the handle near the pliers.  I am inclined to think both these MTs are made in Germany.  When I compare them with my French MTs I can clearly see that they are a different, smaller, much finer (more refined) design and construction than my similar MTs that are of French origin. 

Does anyone know what "D.G.M." stands for ?  I had an idea it was something to do with post-WWII manufacturing in Germany (East or West ? ), but I could be completely off-track.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 09:26:36 AM
I was following an auction for an old multifunction knife on EBay.Fr, the brand was NOGENT. Seems quite a valuable make.

An old cutlery firm that still makes a traditional multifunction pocket knife in NONTRON. Take a look at the 6 Piece Navette.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 08:16:27 AM
Good to see some of the older fixed-plier MTs  :tu:

There was obviously some "borrowing" of designs & manufacturing techniques etc between different countries when some of these MTs were designed and made (I guess there is nothing new about that, it still goes on today, but we now call it IP theft   ;) )

I have a Hi-Test MT that is stamped "JAPAN"  on the knife tang, and another very similar unbranded MT also stamped "JAPAN",  Does yours have a similar stamping ?

I have a Hoffritz, Germany MT, and another almost identical MT with "Voss Cut(lery) Co , Germany" stamped on the knife tang, and also "D.G.M." on the handle near the pliers.  I am inclined to think both these MTs are made in Germany.  When I compare them with my French MTs I can clearly see that they are a different, smaller, much finer (more refined) design and construction than my similar MTs that are of French origin. 

Does anyone know what "D.G.M." stands for ?  I had an idea it was something to do with post-WWII manufacturing in Germany (East or West ? ), but I could be completely off-track.

Just re-checked the stamping on the Hi-Test.The secondary blade just says Hi-Test;the master blade has had the stamping partially ground away(possibly indicating that it was a second)but it appears that it may have said Japan as well.

Are the German ones stamped "D.G.M." or "D.R.G.M."? The latter is a post war patent stamp indicating that some or all of the design had a patent applied for it..If it were pre-war(WWII) it would be stamped,"D.B.G.M."

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 08:25:03 AM
Just re-checked the stamping on the Hi-Test.The secondary blade just says Hi-Test;the master blade has had the stamping partially ground away(possibly indicating that it was a second)but it appears that it may have said Japan as well.

Are the German ones stamped "D.G.M." or "D.R.G.M."? The latter is a post war patent stamp indicating that some or all of the design had a patent applied for it..If it were pre-war(WWII) it would be stamped,"D.B.G.M."

Only the Voss one has the stamp, and it is definitely "D.G.M."  .  The "D.G.M." is a different (larger) font and is only lightly stamped, not deeply stamped like the tang stamps.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 04:54:38 AM
Thanks for an interesting thread!
Barry

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 04:16:46 PM
I forgot to say thx for the pics!

Donations