Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your backup?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
What's your backup?
on: January 24, 2021, 10:03:44 PM
We've all got one. Maybe two. Some... We haven't seen in ages.

We often talk about our favorite tools, our EDC, our "if you could have only one" MT, our most-used tools.

But what do you have as backup, close at hand but not on you at all times?  What do you keep out of sight and out of mind, but never too far away?

Where do you keep it - in your car, backpack, or garage?  What do you have, and when did you last use it? 

What's your backup tool, one that you haven't used because you haven't actually needed.... Yet?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: What's your backup?
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 10:11:31 PM
Mine is a Gerber MP600

For the past year it has been in my work bag since things are a bit more uncertain of late.  Before that it used to be kept in my Get Home Bag in my car. 

It has a few things that I don't normally carry with me, but would surely come in handy - pliers, serrated blade, Phillips, and that file which I refuse to keep with me.

It's been a good 3-4 years since I used it to fix the coffee machine at work.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:31:50 PM
Mine is a Wave with full bit kit I keep in the car arm rest.

I don't EDC a plier based tool anymore, just a Vic Ranger, but like to keep the Wave close in case I do.

I last used it a few months back to cut a tree branch that had fallen over the road I was driving on.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 12:01:27 AM
Mine is a Wave with full bit kit I keep in the car arm rest.

I don't EDC a plier based tool anymore, just a Vic Ranger, but like to keep the Wave close in case I do.

I last used it a few months back to cut a tree branch that had fallen over the road I was driving on.

That's the spirit!  :think: I mean the Wave. 

It's not every day that you have a branch blocking the road and the only way to get past it is to saw through.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 05:52:52 AM
Let's see...

I've got an Alox Bantam in my wallet.  The last time I used it, I had a Cybertool-S as my primary SAK for the day.  However, I made the decision that the CT-S should live in my laptop bag, so I left it there.  Stopping for a beer on the way home from work, I reached into my pocket for a SAK to pop the top.  Backup Alox Bantam to the rescue!

I have a SwissTool in each of my vehicles.  The last time I used one was to remove a stubborn valve stem cap.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
What's your backup?
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 05:44:01 PM
Pretty much identical Skinth one with a Spirit X and one with a CenterDrive.

I mainly use the CD kit but can switch as needed easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 06:31:43 PM
My night stand is my back up  :facepalm:

I keep a fully kitted Surge on my coffee table and a Swisstool in my hall closet.  My partner now keeps my modded Wave ( mini Surge ) in her crafting bag. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 12:41:21 AM
 :like:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 03:38:56 AM
I was rummaging through my camping equipment.  I've had a Champion or SwissChamp in my bag as backup for decades now.  I'm thinking - Trekker with a Pioneer X, and leave the Champ at home?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 10:12:11 PM
I don't have a backup for day to day carry but I have a 24 hour bag that I grab anytime I'm going to be away from home and stores for more than a day or if I'm going to be more than 100 miles from home.  In the 24 hour bag there is always an extra knife, a generic Chinese tactical folder that I had to buy one day when I forgot one from home, and an extra multitool or two, usually the Gerber MP I've had for 30 years or a Leatherman Crunch.  Sometimes you just need a second set of pliers to turn a nut and bolt and sometimes locking pliers are even better.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 10:52:00 PM
I don't have a backup for day to day carry but I have a 24 hour bag that I grab anytime I'm going to be away from home and stores for more than a day or if I'm going to be more than 100 miles from home.  In the 24 hour bag there is always an extra knife, a generic Chinese tactical folder that I had to buy one day when I forgot one from home, and an extra multitool or two, usually the Gerber MP I've had for 30 years or a Leatherman Crunch.  Sometimes you just need a second set of pliers to turn a nut and bolt and sometimes locking pliers are even better.
:like: Good thinking that man  :tu: :salute:
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21