Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which multitool should I buy?

Jona · 49 · 2121

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #30 on: January 03, 2021, 01:25:50 PM
Hello Jona,

The wave is a great choice and a must have in the collection.
Yes I said collection, this place is dangerous to the bank account and you will soon have a bunch of SAK and MT of all types.

Problem is you will see so many  combos and must have cool stuff.

Personally, for the must part I’ve carried a MT, SAK, flashlight, folder, pen for Years.

Problem is MT and SAK  combos for the must part overlap with the same tools.

I’ve for the must part have moved from the MT. And went to the small Knipex 4 inch pliers, “made in Germany “ and a passenger or explorer SAK.
I choose the Passenger or Explorer for the in line Phillips.

Maybe something to think about ... pic of my daily work combo.

Good luck, have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

de Offline Jona

Re: Which multitool should I buy?
Reply #31 on: January 03, 2021, 02:51:12 PM
Thanks for your answers!
I have seen a video about a Wiha double-ended bit kit from TX Tool Crib on YouTube. That looks nice, but as I have seen it does not include allen bits.
Do the Leatherman bits have any problems because they are rather two-dimensional? I mean a 5mm allen Leatherman bit doesn't have 5mm on every side, right?

Do you recommend some oil on the liner locks? The saw already has a mark from the lock mechanism. But I guess that is normal, right?

I could return the Wave (I didn't buy it from Leatherman directly) and directly order a Wave with the pouch with extra pockets and bit extension and bit kit, but I guess returning the Wave would be kind of overdone :o

Problem is MT and SAK  combos for the must part overlap with the same tools.
That also was a problem with my decision. And a reason I chose the Wave, because it adds better to the SAK.

I've already noticed that EDC tools can be quite addictive! I can see your point with the collection ::) I've already got 4 SAKs...
The Knipex is also nice. TX Tool Crib has a video about leather sheaths for them. How do you carry it?

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 03:01:16 PM
Thanks for your answers!
I have seen a video about a Wiha double-ended bit kit from TX Tool Crib on YouTube. That looks nice, but as I have seen it does not include allen bits.
Do the Leatherman bits have any problems because they are rather two-dimensional? I mean a 5mm allen Leatherman bit doesn't have 5mm on every side, right?

Do you recommend some oil on the liner locks? The saw already has a mark from the lock mechanism. But I guess that is normal, right?

I could return the Wave (I didn't buy it from Leatherman directly) and directly order a Wave with the pouch with extra pockets and bit extension and bit kit, but I guess returning the Wave would be kind of overdone :o
That also was a problem with my decision. And a reason I chose the Wave, because it adds better to the SAK.

I've already noticed that EDC tools can be quite addictive! I can see your point with the collection ::) I've already got 4 SAKs...
The Knipex is also nice. TX Tool Crib has a video about leather sheaths for them. How do you carry it?
I use one ranger band on my belt. Stupid simple and light.

Thanks for the Tool crib info, headed there

CHEERS

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: January 03, 2021, 03:05:36 PM
Thanks for your answers!

A little oil won't hurt and the marks are normal. I've found that the Leatherman bits work quite well for most things.  I think that a little overlap in tools is okay unless you want to be a complete minimalist but what's the fun in that.   :D

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #34 on: January 03, 2021, 03:12:01 PM
A little oil won't hurt and the marks are normal. I've found that the Leatherman bits work quite well for most things.  I think that a little overlap in tools is okay unless you want to be a complete minimalist but what's the fun in that.   :D
Also I change my load out several times a day depending on what’s going on. 

Just go buy everything

CHEERS

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: January 03, 2021, 03:27:34 PM
Hey Jona,
you seem to be very conscious about little marks and scratches. I can understand that being new to the Wave and Spirit MTs. There always someone here at MTO who can answer your question and give some advice. Lots of experience present here.

However, don't forget that LM and Victorinox have a great warranty service. Just pick one and use the hell out of it without worrying too much.

You should be allowed to have some fun with them   :pok:

de Offline chapsjmg

• Frenchman
Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 03:28:53 PM

I already check on mine . The Leatherman bit kit has in 1 side a 5mm allen.

Anyway the fact that the leatherman bits are rather two dimensional is not a real problem. It works perfectly on my surge even in difficult condition.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:50:29 PM by chapsjmg »

de Offline Jona

Reply #37 on: January 03, 2021, 04:49:52 PM
Thats a nice simple idea for the Knipex, plus not too bulky!

Hey Jona,
you seem to be very conscious about little marks and scratches. I can understand that being new to the Wave and Spirit MTs. There always someone here at MTO who can answer your question and give some advice. Lots of experience present here.

However, don't forget that LM and Victorinox have a great warranty service. Just pick one and use the hell out of it without worrying too much.

You should be allowed to have some fun with them   :pok:
Thats right, I am quite a perfectionist ::)... Sometimes a bit too much.
You're right, I shouldn't worry too much and use it as a tool :)

I'll order the bit kit then, I think it is a well-suited option.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: January 03, 2021, 04:54:13 PM
Thats a nice simple idea for the Knipex, plus not too bulky!
Thats right, I am quite a perfectionist ::)... Sometimes a bit too much.
You're right, I shouldn't worry too much and use it as a tool :)

I'll order the bit kit then, I think it is a well-suited option.

Once you start using your Wave it's bound to get some scratches and that is what happens when you use tools. It just gives them character  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: January 03, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
Once you start using your Wave it's bound to get some scratches and that is what happens when you use tools. It just gives them character  :tu:

Especially Black Oxide tools develop some nice character over time  :pok:
resize-1400.jpg
* resize-1400.jpg (Filesize: 153.66 KB)

de Offline Jona

Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 09:17:28 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to give a little feedback on my multitool-decision.
I've gotten the LM sheath with pockets, the extension and the bit kit for my Wave.
Also, I've built this tray out of some spare wood pieces that were lying around in the shop.

Do you guys in the US know the 2H-Version of the Wave? I guess it is not really interesting for you, but nice to see:

It's very nice here in Germany, because carrying a normal Wave would be illegal. Me wanting to get a multitool was perfectly timed, because the 2H-Wave just came out last year I think.

My Wave has unfortunately not seen any use yet, because I hardly leave the house, just doing home-studying...
(And when going for a run I don't take the Wave with me :D)

Regards,
Jona

PS: The Victorinox Ranger in the background with my name inscribed was my first SAK. My grandfather gave it to me when I was about 10, I think.

Offline Rab21

Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 09:36:37 AM
Looks very nice Jonathan and good to see leatherman making a version that you can legally carry in Germany.

Now we just need a non locking version for the UK

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

de Offline Jona

Reply #42 on: January 28, 2021, 10:23:58 AM
Wow, you're not even allowed to carry a locking blade? That's a pity.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:55:07 AM by Jona »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: January 28, 2021, 03:36:05 PM
Looking good Jona.  I really like those 2H Waves.  I'm liking your tray you made for your EDC items. 

That leather sheath will look awesome over time.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #44 on: January 28, 2021, 03:58:35 PM
Looks very nice Jonathan and good to see leatherman making a version that you can legally carry in Germany.

Now we just need a non locking version for the UK

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
:like: :iagree: :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: January 28, 2021, 04:09:26 PM
Wow, you're not even allowed to carry a locking blade? That's a pity.
Locking blades can be an issue here in the UK (regardless of length)  ::)

However, OHO in itself is not  :dunno:

So, I can carry a blade that is non-locking under 7.62cm without the need for lawful authority/reasonable excuse.

However, above that length (or locking of any length) requires the above and it's for ME to PROVE either/both.

OHO (or ANY blade) subject to the above is fine, unless my intended use is illegal.

Whilst not a legal website HH have a pretty good grip of it (see below link)

https://www.heinnie.com/blog/clarifying-uk-knife-law/

Glad you found a solution, now get prepared for open wallet surgery.. :pok: :ahhh :rofl:
They don't like it up 'em!

de Offline Jona

Reply #46 on: January 28, 2021, 09:32:28 PM
Thanks, @all! :)

Those knife laws in the UK really seem a bit unfortunate.

Offline bryan123

Reply #47 on: February 17, 2021, 03:44:24 AM
Super Tinker for the tools and the Knipex for the pliers. MADE IN Germany too.  The Knipex grip better and are more ergonomic than multitool pliers.
20210209_082429_compress16.jpg
* 20210209_082429_compress16.jpg (Filesize: 24.1 KB)

Offline bryan123

Re: LM Wave 2-handed vs Vic Spirit XC
Reply #48 on: February 20, 2021, 11:33:32 PM
Hello,

thanks for your welcome, Poncho and Steve! And also thanks for the pictures!

I have made some thoughts and these are the results:

I will order a Super Tinker for my EDC organizer. It'll replace the Small Tinker with no problem I think, and I've got the nice SAK scissors.
The multitool won't be part of my everyday and everywhere carry. So the Philips is a must-have, since I want to have one available for emergencies, even though I can see that it cannot compete with the one on a multitool.
Plus, I never need the corkscrew. So the Super Tinker is the way to go!

Now, what multitool to get? It should be a nice addition to the Super Tinker and will not always be carried.
The Rebar is out of my decision because I dont like the handling of the blades, saw and file due to inside tools.
So I have to decide betweed LM Wave 2H and Victorinox Spirit XC.
Those are different concepts, I know. LM got the diamond file, bit exchanger and eyeglass-screwdriver (no one in the Super Tinker so thats an advantage). The 2H Wave has no one-hand-opening, so there is no advantage to the Swisstool there.
The Spirit has the better build quality, chisel and package opener, only a serrated blade (which is fine since the SAK has a standard blade). I dont really need the bottle cap lifter and can opener, since the Super Tinker already got these. Is the Philips really a lot more slippery because of the polished finish?
I'm unsure which plier head I like more. Exchangeable cutters and nice needlenose vs more robust pliers. I would get the Sprit with the ratchet and bit kit. So the only advantage of the Wave's bit exchanger is the option to carry a different bit than a Philips in the multitool, for example a torx, if I haven't got LM bit kit/ VIC ratchet with me.

Difficult decision, I know. What would you recommend as a not-always addition to my EDC kit? I like build quality, but I dont like redundancy. At least not in my EDC.

Nice regards,
Jona   

Since you have decided on the Super Tinker,  pair it with a Knipex Cobra xs or 125. 
20210212_071311_compress22.jpg
* 20210212_071311_compress22.jpg (Filesize: 26.56 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%