Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza...that other Swiss Knife.

Chako · 72 · 4105

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Swiza...that other Swiss Knife.
on: January 29, 2021, 12:53:22 AM
I finally received my order of Swiza knives. I first heard of them back in 2015 but was not all that curious about them at the time...that is until I found myself stuck at home cruising Amazon two weeks ago and stumbled upon them by accident. It was at that point that I recalled I was curious about them when they first came out, and sort of forgotten about them until I saw them online.

I bought a nice assortment of them totaling 4 different knives. I wanted a nice little spread of Swiza functionality to see what they were all about.

20210128_175022A by Chako, on Flickr

I bought the D07 for one thing...that weird looking scissors. When I saw that online, I was confused thinking it was a possible file and a saw or something other than scissors. Upon closer inspection, it just didn't look right. When I read the description, I just had to see what THAT was all about. Oh and before I forget, the knife blades on all of these Swiza knives are the same stainless steel colour as the backend. The blue colour is a reflection of the light and not a true indicator of the actual colour of the product.

Here is the D07 along with a Victorinox Delemont knife for size comparison.

20210128_175200A by Chako, on Flickr

I will say right off, I am a fan of the Swiza ergonomic handle shape. It appears that the 4 models I have are all rubber handled giving the knife a nice tactile grip. I just hope it is not a rubber that will denature with age and get all gooey...a fear I have with rubber coated items. The D07 has a nice beefy cork screw (beefy in that it appears to be larger than those found on SAKs. The blade is nice with a nail nick cutout featuring the Swiza name etched to one side. Stupid me thought it might be a nail file at first, but quickly realized it was just some branding. I then realized that none of these knives have a nail file. The awl is nice and sharp if a bit short. It does feature a sewing hole, and a folded piece of steel that reminds me of the Victorinox Alox awl. The bottle opener and can opener appear to be nice. I am a bit worried about the metal removal on the bottle opener. I am a bit worried that this might affect the larger flathead screwdriver durability over time. I could be wrong on this thought however. The knife blade sits at an interesting angle to the handle. I am just used to a knife blade that juts straight out of the handle. I did find that the shape of the handle and the angle of the knife blade did make for a very comfortable knife to hold and use. It looks and feels a bit weird to me at first, but I can appreciate the ergonomics of it. I also found that the blade angle did not have any impact on use either. All in all, a nice design. One thing I did find a bit fiddly was the locking mechanism. You have to press the Swiss logo to unlock the knife blade. The locking mechanism is simply a push pin that depresses the liner lock. Not sure why they did this as opposed to simply pressing the liner lock directly like most other liner locked knife models out there. My only thought is one of design, and possibly someone really liked the Wenger 111mm knives that featured this. Swiza's implementation is not as nice as those of Wenger however, as that rubber handle material lends a bit of stiffness to the mechanism as it hides under the rubber handle material. I found I had to press it a few times to push away the liner lock to close the blade. Like everything else, I am sure this will become easier with use and familiarization. Before I forget, there is a liner bound pair of tweezers. These remind me of those found on Wenger, along with the same issue of having to really dig in there with a fingernail to catch the edge to pull the tweezers out. Victorinox has a more elegant solution, but I gather Swiza can't use it due to copy right issues.

20210128_175256A by Chako, on Flickr

Now that I have talked in general about some of the tools found on Swiza, I want to get back to those scissors found on the D07. The scissors are large and in charge. this is a rather wonky design of two blades that you push together to cut. I really like the size, and on my paper cutting test, it worked better than I first thought. I then tried cutting into the plastic mailer that these items shipped in, and it cut that like nothing either. These scissors really do the job. I did find an issue with them however. I found that the narrow metal that you have to push together did get hard on the fingers in a short time. If Swiza widened the metal where the fingers interface with the scissors, I think they would have a real winner on their hands.

20210128_175444A by Chako, on Flickr

The next knife I got is a TT05 Tick Tool in red. This knife features a saw and that tick tool, which was different enough for me to get one. The Tick tool is a rather neat feature. It includes a small plastic magnifying lens and the tick removal tool...all in a clear plastic. With the proliferation of deer ticks in my area, this is a welcome feature to have. I did not test the saw, but it looks like a good design.

20210128_175557A by Chako, on Flickr

20210128_175714A by Chako, on Flickr

Next up is a Swiza C01 blue camo knife. I wanted this for two reasons. I was curious about their smaller knives, and also about their camo finish. The blue looked nice. This is a 1 layer knife.

20210128_175834A by Chako, on Flickr

Last knife to round out my exploration of Swiza knives is the D04 Moonwalk 50 knife. I was curious to see what their backline Phillips driver looks like and also something with a graphical design. My options on the graphical design were limited on Amazon.ca...being what products Smokey Mountain Knifeworks were selling to their Northern Neighbour. The Space motif looked good. What I did not know was just how tactile the design would be. Everything is layered and gives the fingers the elusion of it being somewhat 3D. The Phillips driver is chunkier than those found on Victorinox or Wenger. I was a bit sad to note no file was included on the flat side of that Phillips...which I thought was a missed opportunity as there is certainly a lot of room to include one. This is my favourite Swiza to date because of the graphic design and tactile feel of the handles.

20210128_180034A by Chako, on Flickr

The back of the Moonwalk Swiza is different, featuring an astronaut footprint. Here is another comparison image with a Victorinox knife.

20210128_180121A by Chako, on Flickr

It took me 5 or so years to jump on the Swiza bandwagon. I think I have a nice sample population, and will use them in the future to see what more I can find out about them.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:01:34 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Swiza...that other Swiss Knife.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 01:07:41 AM
Thanks for the mini review.  I have seen Swiza a few times and contemplated trying one but just haven’t done it yet.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:12:08 AM
Great write up Chako, thanks :like: :tu:

Will definitely be interested how the rubber holds up as I’ve also had bad experience with it over time.

I like that they’ve brought something different to the SAK genre, credit to them but wonder if they’ve really differentiated enough to make anyone switch from VIC :dunno:
:cheers:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 01:34:18 AM
Awesome write up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 02:05:56 AM
Thanks for the review  :tu:

I have looked at Swiza a few times, but there was always something missing or something I did not like  :dunno:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 02:59:15 AM
Great review Chako!  The Moonwalk model intrigues me.  I see that they have taken over for Wenger on the Mike Horn series knives.  I'm really interested in trying one of these knives out.
Barry

us Offline munsonhsr

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 03:32:20 AM
Thank you Chako!  I have often seen them and never pulled the trigger to try one.  Your review piqued my interest again.  I especially like the tick tool and saw.   :hatsoff:

Phil ~  Awls Well That Ends Well :)

ca Offline Altis

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 04:47:29 AM
Interesting write-up  :cheers:

The tick tool looks like it could be pretty handy to have here in Ontario. I quite like the styling of the Swiza design and finish.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 05:23:00 AM
Oddly enough, when I checked back at Amazon.ca, it looks like Smokey Mountain is no longer selling knives from the US on there. Now all I get is very overpriced Swiza knives sold by someone else. Looks like I got on the ground floor at the right time.

At least now I have a few to play around with.  :D

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 09:03:23 AM
Thanks for the review, Chaka - they do do some interesting scale designs and different tools. :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 09:12:59 AM
Swiza have become surprisingly widely available in Europe in the past few years, coming out of nothing (knife related).

On mine, a user, the rubber seems to hold up quite well, which surprised me as I was expecting it to get damaged where the button is really quickly.

I have had it for 5 years and at the time you could only get them from a few online shops
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 11:55:44 AM
Thanks for the review, Chaka - they do do some interesting scale designs and different tools. :cheers:

Yes, thanks! You're the best!

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 12:24:07 PM
 ;)

Aww shucks!

I am getting all bashful now.

:rofl:

My first impression is that they are not all that bad. Before buying them I did a bit of research on MT.O in the hot tub time machine and found a lot of negativity about them.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 01:22:19 PM
oh yes, 6 years ago they were the devil....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 02:18:14 PM
oh yes, 6 years ago they were the devil....
I think mostly their marketing... trying to insinuate that they are making knives for the Swiss Army for decades.
Apart from that I had quality issues (tools breaking where they should not have), there is hope that this has been fixed by now. Then there is the really poor use of space, which really is a nitpick. But what killed them for me, when using the knife on the 2-layer version, you always had to grip over the opener-layer. That layer stands pretty proud and is not comfortable at all. Sadly, I see no way they can fix that without overhauling the curved handle design.
I have a single layer one now, that is pretty good (it was an advertisement gift :D). But then if you want a single-layer, go with the Böker Tech-Tool, way better blade than the competition (Vic/Wenger/Swiza, haven't tried the MKM yet).

On mine, a user, the rubber seems to hold up quite well, which surprised me as I was expecting it to get damaged where the button is really quickly.
Agreed, that rubber is though and will hold up. It is in my eyes the nicest part of the knife.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 02:29:35 PM
Yes, thanks! You're the best!

(Image removed from quote.)

8) 8)

Ah, the joys of unnoticed autocorrect! Apologies, Chako!  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 02:59:18 PM
I have to admit I've not really paid any attention to the Swiza knives and I'm pretty sure I didn't know about those scissors!  Cheers Dan.  :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 03:55:58 PM
Ah, the joys of unnoticed autocorrect! Apologies, Chako!  :facepalm:

Yeah, I know how you feel...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 05:46:09 PM
 :rofl: Still, at least the paper clip is ancient history - the young ‘uns will be wondering what I’m referring to..... :whistle:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 06:22:42 PM
Yeah, I know how you feel...

Lol. I hate how it was recently tweaked.

Great topic Chako. I have a couple of 2 layer ones, but never use them and I’ve been meaning to try something newer/larger. The Moonwalk versions caught my eye, but the BO version didn’t have the phillips. I think I would have preferred it that way, or with more tools to try out.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 07:04:34 PM
Do all Swizas have locking main blades?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 11:24:21 PM
From what I have seen...yes.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 12:16:41 AM
Great write-up Chako  :tu:.

It seems a lot of people here have thought about buying a Swiza knife at one point, but decided not to...

I'm also one of those people, I must have "almost" bought a Swiza knife about 4 times now, and still own zero.

Even last week I added one to "my basket" online, and it's still there as I still haven't pulled the trigger on it, a bit weird, come to think about it  :shrug:.

On a side note, it's also weird to have a topic about Swiza knives without getting into a discussion about the tick tool with my friend and fellow countryman...  :cry:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 12:17:00 AM
I have acquired several Swizas, mainly for their different patterns etc rather than variety of tools, and I like them a lot.
My only piece of advice would be to avoid the white ones. After a few years mine has started to look a bit nicotine-flavoured, even though I don't smoke. I guess it's the effect of sunlight. Whatever the cause, it's not a good look. My orange and green ones look as good as new and get a lot of use.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 02:58:41 AM
On a side note, it's also weird to have a topic about Swiza knives without getting into a discussion about the tick tool with my friend and fellow countryman...  :cry:

Yes, that is weird. Nick? Where are you?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 30, 2021, 01:11:19 PM
I know 2 years ago, it was a bad year for ticks around where I live. They do appear to be worse south of me in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I have a good friend who likes to walk his dog all over the place and two years ago, the dog got covered in them, and he even found a few on himself, and he was walking north of my city in Northern Ontario. So yes, when I saw that tick tool, I thought to myself that could be very handy.

That is a good point on the white. I always shy away from white as much as I can as it shows dirt easily.  :tu:

00 Online Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 01:16:45 PM
How does the tick tool work? Given how precise SAK pliers are, couldn't you just as well use those pliers?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 04:38:27 PM
How does the tick tool work? Given how precise SAK pliers are, couldn't you just as well use those pliers?

I haven't used the Swiza tick tool, but I have held it in my hands, and as far as I know it works the same as my Lifesystems "bankcard" tick tool (see pic).

On this card you have two V-shaped tools (one for small ticks and one for bigger ones),  you place the V-shaped tool next to the tick, and slide it between the tick and your skin.  And thanks to the v-shape the tick gets pulled out very gently, without pinching its body (which increases the chance of getting lime disease, when you pinch the ticks body, you might force fluids from its body into yours).

It works great, the discussion we had in the past was mainly about the fact that the tick tool sits next to a knife you may use for eating your apple or something...

I believe that, having a tick tool on you so you can remove the tick as fast as possible is a priority, but having some alcohol gel on you to disinfect it afterwords is probably a good idea.

Anyway, my tick tool "bankcard" resides in my wallet, so I always have it on me, and it's nowhere near my apple knife  ;).

00 Online Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 04:42:53 PM
I haven't used the Swiza tick tool, but I have held it in my hands, and as far as I know it works the same as my Lifesystems "bankcard" tick tool (see pic).

On this card you have two V-shaped tools (one for small ticks and one for bigger ones),  you place the V-shaped tool next to the tick, and slide it between the tick and your skin.  And thanks to the v-shape the tick gets pulled out very gently, without pinching its body (which increases the chance of getting lime disease, when you pinch the ticks body, you might force fluids from its body into yours).

It works great, the discussion we had in the past was mainly about the fact that the tick tool sits next to a knife you may use for eating your apple or something...

I believe that, having a tick tool on you so you can remove the tick as fast as possible is a priority, but having some alcohol gel on you to disinfect it afterwords is probably a good idea.

Anyway, my tick tool "bankcard" resides in my wallet, so I always have it on me, and it's nowhere near my apple knife  ;).

I see, thanks for explaining. Sounds like a good idea - why doesn't Swiza offer that tool in a SAK containing scissors?  :rant: This configuration could be a real winner, at least in my book.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 30, 2021, 07:52:04 PM
Thanks for this review.  There's another appropriately timed review on YT that I had posted here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,84310.0.html and suddenly I'm very intrigued.  Try as I might I can't seem to branch out from Victorinox for any extended period of time. 

From your review, what gets my attention is the relative ease of opening the blade, and the size comparison.  These seem to be a good alternative to the constraints in the selection of 84 and 85mm tools.  Also, I rather like those extra-large scissors that aren't available on any other tool. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%