Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza...that other Swiss Knife.

Chako · 72 · 4104

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Swiza...that other Swiss Knife.
Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 10:05:06 PM
I feel the scissors could be improved upon by bending the steel a little over to give more surface area to press on...but the design is interesting, and you definitely get a nice long cut due to their size.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 31, 2021, 09:54:49 AM
Well, I took a look back at Swiza website.
You can’t really say the company don’t try to innovate somehow
This is the SWIZA CO05TT, the Family Pet Swiss Knife

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 31, 2021, 11:43:12 AM
Well, I took a look back at Swiza website.
You can’t really say the company don’t try to innovate somehow
This is the SWIZA CO05TT, the Family Pet Swiss Knife

That's what I like about Swiza  :tu:.

You see some of the craziness innovative thinking that you used to see at Wenger. Did they always get it right? Nope, but at least they tried to do something different.

I miss Wenger  :cry: (and that's why I'm secretly rooting for Swiza, hoping they can surprise us one of these days).

Maybe I should go for it and order the one I have in my "basket" online... :-\

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 31, 2021, 03:56:24 PM
I quite like the look of their blacked-out models

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #34 on: January 31, 2021, 11:05:37 PM
Do all Swiza's have locking blades?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #35 on: February 01, 2021, 12:58:09 AM
I miss Wenger too.  Their creative twist really made it fun.
Barry

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2021, 01:23:28 AM

Yes, I think so.
I love the comb!  Looking for it, stumbled on this beauty.... no comb, but a gutting blade and what looks like the Realtree pattern that appeared on some lovely late Wengers (Blaze and Snow)
found it here:
https://www.biwak.com/Ausruestung/Messer-Werkzeuge/Klappmesser/Arretierbar/Kunststoff/Swiza-HU09-R-TT-Hunter-Collection-692331-11760.html
swiza hunter.jpg
* swiza hunter.jpg (Filesize: 68.56 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #37 on: February 01, 2021, 01:50:01 AM
Yes, I think so.

And with that my interest in Swiza goes down to zero. I will never understand why small knives need a blade lock  :dunno:

Well, more money for slipjoints  :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 01, 2021, 02:37:14 AM
And with that my interest in Swiza goes down to zero. I will never understand why small knives need a blade lock  :dunno:

Well, more money for slipjoints  :D

With the way they do it, it seems to be barely there - a button that pushes a liner lock   :pok:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #39 on: February 01, 2021, 02:44:55 AM
With the way they do it, it seems to be barely there - a button that pushes a liner lock   :pok:

Lock is lock  :pok: :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 01, 2021, 03:44:48 AM

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: February 01, 2021, 08:43:15 AM
Lock is lock  :pok: :D
Right now, the CEOs of M-Tech and Zombie Hunter are doing happy dances...  :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 02, 2021, 04:39:49 PM
As long as people are interested in knives that can be used for food prep while also containing a parasite remover tool that can come into contact with blood and virusses, my job here isn't done... :twak:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #43 on: February 02, 2021, 04:57:33 PM
I miss Wenger too.  Their creative twist really made it fun.

Miss Wenger!

:hatsoff:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #44 on: February 02, 2021, 04:58:37 PM
As long as people are interested in knives that can be used for food prep while also containing a parasite remover tool that can come into contact with blood and virusses, my job here isn't done... :twak:

Geez... why are you so ticked off?!

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 02, 2021, 05:18:46 PM

Even if it's my own blood?  I better not tell you what I've done with my knife

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: February 02, 2021, 05:26:16 PM
Eeeeew :dwts:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #47 on: February 02, 2021, 06:10:19 PM
And he's back... :D

:cheers:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #48 on: February 02, 2021, 06:18:51 PM

That knife ticks all the boxes :think:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 02, 2021, 06:25:55 PM
Eeeeew :dwts:

Sorry - I actually thought about what I said.  I'll go sit in the corner now. 

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #50 on: February 02, 2021, 06:46:55 PM

That knife ticks all the boxes :think:

Don't scare him off guys, he just got back :twak:.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #51 on: February 02, 2021, 07:05:18 PM
Don't scare him off guys, he just got back :twak:.

Baby got back :clap:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 02, 2021, 08:45:26 PM
So you guys got me curious and I ordered a D07, which is the Swiza equivalent of a Climber. I was most interested in the scissors, obviously. I can confirm that while their size is impressive, operating them hurts your fingertips. On account of this, I cannot imagine many situations where they might fare better than Victorinox' scissors, which are shorter but can be operated with more pressure.

Other than that, the build quality is ok, but not impressive. The can opener in my model has a rather weak snap, which becomes all the more apparent when compared to the bottle opener, which snaps noticeably better. I have made similar experiences with Victorinox SAKs (where, however, it was the other way round: the bottle opener's lack of snap contrasted with the can opener's good snap), but very rarely. The fact that this occurs in the very first Swiza I ever pick up is a bit disappointing. And the scissors do not feel too snappy either.

I do like the scale material though; also, the locking mechanism feels good (even better - more precise - than in my Winemaster if I am honest).

Curious: the picture in the OP had me thinking the Swiza would be about the size of a Delemont (which was part of its appeal to be honest). However, in real life the D07 is slightly longer than a 93 mm SAK.

All in all, I am not overly impressed but not displeased either.

However, there is a big elephant in the room and I don't understand why nobody in this thread has brought it up yet: I bought the D07 for a whopping 42 Euros (which is an okay price for this model - I checked). This is about twice the price of a Climber! For that, the D07 offers about the same functionality, at roughly the same weight and size. Unless you absolutely want a locking blade or something more original than a Victorinox SAK, I therefore just don't see any reason at all to choose a D07 over a Climber.

Which is sad, as I kind of like the D07 and believe Swiza could become the new Wenger (I seem even to remember that Swiza was set up by former Wenger managers) if they tried just a bit harder (and slashed their prices considerably...)

20210202_204722_copy_1209x1612.jpg
* 20210202_204722_copy_1209x1612.jpg (Filesize: 180.54 KB)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:22:21 PM by Simon_Templar »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #53 on: February 02, 2021, 09:02:55 PM
Maybe Swiza knives aren't expensive..., maybe Victorinox knives are cheap...?

Wengers also used to be more expensive as their Victorinox counterparts, and even the Victorinox Delémont 85mm knives are way more expensive as their 91mm counterparts (which is really sad because I absolutely love the 85mm size SAKs).

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 02, 2021, 09:16:16 PM

Wengers also used to be more expensive as their Victorinox counterparts, and even the Victorinox Delémont 85mm knives are way more expensive as their 91mm counterparts (which is really sad because I absolutely love the 85mm size SAKs).

True, but they were/are still in the same ballpark - the 85 mm Evolution 14 costs about 28 Euros. In addition, it's noticeably smaller than the 91 mm Climber, so there's a clear distinction between the two knives. But even so, a lot of people expect Victorinox to discontinue the Delemonts eventually. Go figure...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:08:49 PM by Simon_Templar »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #55 on: February 02, 2021, 09:25:38 PM
True, but they were/are still in the same ballpark - the 85 mm Evolution 14 costs about 28 Euros. In addition, it's noticably smaller than the 91 mm Climber, so there's a clear distinction between the two knives. But even so, a lot of people expect Victorinox to discontinue the Delemonts eventually. Go figure...

I guess it's not easy to compete with Victorinox, they have years of experience, a lot of machinery that has already been paid for years ago, low R&D costs, and relatively low promotional and advertising costs thanks to brand recognition...

It must be a very frustrating adversary.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 02, 2021, 09:43:15 PM
I guess it's not easy to compete with Victorinox, they have years of experience, a lot of machinery that has already been paid for years ago, low R&D costs, and relatively low promotional and advertising costs thanks to brand recognition...

It must be a very frustrating adversary.

I agree it seems impossible to beat them at their own game. Imo, competitors such as Swiza should therefore not try to offer the same models - just different - but rather go for Vic's openings: interchangeable tools, different tools (such as Swiza's existing tick tool and the comb), different sizes (how about a 80 mm frame?), interchangeable scales, steel quality etc. As demonstrated by Wenger, Victorinox is very conservative - instead of re-inventing Vic's wheel, competitors should rather concentrate on all those wheels Vic isn't producing yet. Although I bet Vic sits on a lot of unused patents which only serve to deter the opposition...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #57 on: February 02, 2021, 09:54:48 PM
I agree it seems impossible to beat them at their own game. Imo, competitors such as Swiza should therefore not try to offer the same models - just different - but rather go for Vic's openings: interchangeable tools, different tools (such as Swiza's existing tick tool and the comb), different sizes (how about a 80 mm frame?), interchangeable scales, steel quality etc. As demonstrated by Wenger, Victorinox is very conservative - instead of re-inventing Vic's wheel, competitors should rather concentrate on all those wheels Vic isn't producing yet. Although I bet Vic sits on a lot of unused patents which only serve to deter the opposition...

:iagree:

ca Offline Tet

Reply #58 on: February 02, 2021, 09:58:51 PM

Agreed - I've managed to pick up a few.  I was able to tell myself that I "needed" them only because they were different.  I got one with a tick tool, one with a butter knife (my kids love picnics!), one with a cow for my daughter and the black tool moon one.  I like that the in-line awl seems to be the default.  I would've liked a corkscrew on the butterknife, but who am I kidding, it's not like I wouldn't have 2 knives with me anyways!
The can opener is a kind of weird looking.  I haven't tried it yet, I guess I'll have to do that.

ca Offline Tet

Reply #59 on: February 02, 2021, 10:06:12 PM

I was going to write in that my butter knife blade isn't locking, but then when I pulled them out to take a look I see that it does have a liner lock, it's just aligned so that it doesn't lock. Not sure if it's meant to be like that - the lock on my moon knife is very difficult to unlock, so maybe they have quality control issues?

I took a photo of each, not sure if it’s possible to tell anything from this or not...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:11:20 PM by Tet »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD